Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 02:39 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I appreciate the anger of youth or the arrogance of techiehood or whatever you got going there. But realistically techniques that are so new they haven't gotten into SAS aren't going to get past FDA officials or peer reviewers. These are sophisticated people, but the cutting edge is the cutting edge because nobody else is there. The vast majority of the jobs are back off that edge. I work with a guy who just works out the equations and writes a SAS macro for whatever he wants. He is on the cutting edge but there's one of him for every dozen of me.

Statistical techniques are getting more advanced but an RCT isn't going to provide much of an arena for that.

And I will certainly brag that I'm not in tech-finance. I like to think that it's possible I'll do something that makes a real contribution.

And I appreciate the old people who refuse to get with the times thing you've got going there.
Maybe I should go back to using SPSS according to your reasoning....no thanks.
I can't think of a single professor, PhD candidate, or person I've worked with over the past decade who has used SAS. It's on it's way to a painful death.

They use SAS in advertising agencies...so hey, there you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 02:57 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
And I appreciate the old people who refuse to get with the times thing you've got going there.
I can't think of a single professor, PhD candidate, or person I've worked with over the past decade who has used SAS. It's on it's way to a painful death.

The FDA doesn't like SPSS and it isn't as powerful.

SAS doesn't seem to have any shortage of courses being taught in it. Everybody from new students to the most senior people use it.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...c+syllabus+sas

Old 05-04-2016, 04:02 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
in college we had labs that needed to be submitted using matlab but i never used it professionally.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
in college we had labs that needed to be submitted using matlab but i never used it professionally.
matlab is still popular at engineering and tech companies, although not for 'traditional' stats work

fda is too good for that stuff as it's not sas

Old 05-05-2016, 02:02 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:

Tony, dude...I do ok work but not as advanced as the things you’re talking about. I understand and appreciate them but there is just not a need for that kind of high knowledge (that's a compliment) for like 90% of the work that people do. I mean heck, I’ve met tons of people taht have Sr. Business Analyst titles that use mostly Excel. Excel!

What you’re talking about isn’t for mortals. I have a better appreciation for R but SAS ain’t goin’ nowhere no time soon. It’s a good application despite the fact that it can’t bring the dead back to life. The knowledge and techniques you describe are very far from what a person needs to land a job, and there are plenty of good jobs for those who are good with SQL and SAS – plenty. We can use one of those people here – right now. And it takes a good head to be good with those.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Tony, dude...I do ok work but not as advanced as the things you’re talking about. I understand and appreciate them but there is just not a need for that kind of high knowledge (that's a compliment) for like 90% of the work that people do. I mean heck, I’ve met tons of people taht have Sr. Business Analyst titles that use mostly Excel. Excel!

What you’re talking about isn’t for mortals. I have a better appreciation for R but SAS ain’t goin’ nowhere no time soon. It’s a good application despite the fact that it can’t bring the dead back to life. The knowledge and techniques you describe are very far from what a person needs to land a job, and there are plenty of good jobs for those who are good with SQL and SAS – plenty. We can use one of those people here – right now. And it takes a good head to be good with those.

I think it's fairly essential. Let's take a use case where an employee is looking at the relationship between sales volume and zones throughout the country. One, I'd want to look at frequency distributions and understand how the data looks like. Then, I might generate a table that compare average or mediate sales volume by zone. In many cases, it can stop there. However, a person who is really good can take the test step to test the null hypothesis that there is no difference across the various zones using anova, frequentist hypothesis tests, regression, anova, or something else. It's a small extra step can take anyone from average to above mortal.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:18 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:

At times I think SPSS would be a step up from where I work. We're still stuck using pre-canned Oracle queries to save data to Excel for analysis. And the IT folks have disabled even the analysis add-in for Excel because, well they're the IT folks and they can. I can't even do a simple ANOVA without having to hand jam the data. You guys talk about R and all I can do is sit here and do a stacked line plot in Excel because the boss thinks it's actually telling him something.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:10 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=citigroup+sas&l=

Some of my friends work at Citigroup. They worked with SAS. The TBTF banks like Citigroup are always looking for SAS, they said.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:10 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times
The field is flooded. So many people running crappy flawed regressions that are worse than just guessing.

The key for money is going to be having a business specialty like the marketing analytics guy or biostats guy or social analytics guy. That will allow you to separate yourself.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:51 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Quote:
As a data scientist who does some data analyst work, I can tell you that this field is getting flooded....my suggestion is to stay away. So many people coming in....driving salaries down and most of the new folks aren't that good, especially on the statistical side. The competition is fierce, just be aware of that
Id think that was a good thing, especially if one can comp positively to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment