Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:14 AM

924 posts, read 2,230,880 times

Advertisements

There's this woman in another department who we rely on to make account adjustments. We answer customers' questions and if necessary, send a request to an account manager to make adjustments, grant permissions, open and close accounts, etc. I've noticed the woman is pretty grumpy and often whines about stuff, other people, how she's being asked to train people, boo hoo! Then, when we write requests to her, we address her politely with:

Hi Susan,
This customer John Rogers would like to make a deposit using such and such a credit card but needs adjustments XYZ to be made. Can you take care of it?
thanks,
Victor
How does she reply to the email? Simply with: "done". No greeting, no nothing. Just done. I used to have a supervisor who did that too. She's let the power go to her head and thought she was all that. Another fatty with a bad attitude. What sucks is that this "done" woman never says hi to me, even though I'm friendly via IM and say hi to her.
Furthermore, while she loves talking and talking to her own team mates, she often grumbles how some colleagues in my department are dummies, all within earshot of me. Talk about rude. She complains asking why am I so quiet? but in the same breath says that she notices that members of my team are quiet too...duh! get a clue woman, the reason we don't talk talk talk is because we work work work. All she ever talks about is movies, relationships, clothes, bla bla bla...and when she's asked to train people or do actual work, she whines.

I am SO not looking forward to being saddled up with her as my trainer. I applied to a part time position in her department, not to work with her but to earn some extra money this summer. God help me...
Maybe I should start sending her curt requests, first, not even addressing her by name, then take some other measures. How would you handle an obnoxious person like her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:18 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
There is much more to her life than you what you see. She may have had some bad experiences at your company that you do not know about. She might have other issues in her life. She could be a rape victim. Maybe her mother has cancer? Maybe she is going through a divorce? Maybe she has a medical condition that you don't know about? Maybe her kids have a disability that needs constant attention?

Be polite. And communicate as thoroughly and helpfully as need be. I've learned that people have different ways of communication. There are in-groups and out-groups. And that is how it is. If she is trying to get you fired or is bad mouthing you directly to your supervisor then naturally I would be worried. Otherwise just get over your differences with her/him and be as nice as possible.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:37 AM

160 posts, read 375,457 times
I responded with a simple "done" all the time at my last job. It doesn't mean anything other than "The task you requested is completed." Some people just don't have the time to write lengthy e-mails or IM all day. Actually, chatting via IM while at work will get you FIRED in many companies.

Next time she complains of someone being a dummy, and you are within earshot, call her out on it. just say' "WHO in particular are you referring to Susan?"

Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
I have no problem to a person replying "done" to a request. That is a quick and concise response in a busy office.

However I would have a problem with the dummy comments. Maybe that should be brought to the attention of management. (with documentation)

Susan has the right to not be overly friendy to everyone who works around her. Some people are just like that. But she doesn't have the right to be insulting or rude.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Couple of thoughts.

You talk about how you only want to work. Yet you are upset that someone gives you a quick reply in an email instead of putting unnecessary banter in the email.

You then talk about her being rude and in the same post you say "another fatty". In what universe is that not extremely rude?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
"Why be polite if someone whines and is rude to you?"

Because it would demonstrate that you're a gentleman.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
"Why be polite if someone whines and is rude to you?"

Because it would demonstrate that you're a gentleman.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

YouTube - The Tao of Kung Fu # 30 - "Peace lies in the man who walks the Path."

Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
I was always pleased when a supervisor sent a IM to me with the word done. It meant that I could cross that particular request off my list but then I really liked my Supervisors and we all got along just great so a done to me was okey dokie. Now the whining and the rudeness is another matter my response if I were to hear her demean myself or co-workers would be "excuse me"?! Just to let her know that I did hear her and I didn't appreciate it sometimes the less said send a huge message. Just try to avoid her and keep your nose to the grindstone. Stating "another fatty" though does kind of put you at the level of the supervisor that you are referring to I try to adhere to the "take the high road" approach.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Another vote for an e-mail with just "Done" in it isn't rude.

Referring to someone as "Fatty" certainly is though. And frankly the OP seems to whine more than anyone, except TVSG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment