Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:55 AM

59 posts, read 156,443 times

Advertisements

The hospital where I work is being targeted by a union. As you can imagine the administration thinks it is a bad idea but the union paints a pretty picture. Any opinions pro and con would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:09 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,311 times
Yes, there are...lol.

We need specifics not all unions are the same...

Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Yes, there are...lol.

We need specifics not all unions are the same...
Unions are definitely not all the same. You can't say "all unions are good" or "all unions are bad".

Any sort of safety or transportation related jobs where management tends to want to "push" its employees to get a job done IMO I think they are a good thing to have on your side.

OP, for example, how are the relations with your employer? How is the QOL? If management continually pushes for overtime and/or pressures you to do things that are questionable a strong union would help. If relations are good, you feel treated fairly, and have good QOL I wouldn't blink an eye at voting no.

It's important to remember a recent change in union law states that a failure to vote is no longer counted as a "no". That's important for those on either side of the fence but more on the no side because those who don't tend to vote (the majority) won't get counted. Only the vocal minority.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:15 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
Even if things are good now it doesn't mean they always will be. It might be good to have a contract or agreement that management will have to abide by. I don't know if it's wise to count on the goodwill of management, because so much can change. Of course, even with the agreement, it's no guarantee.

Some unions focus more on salary at the expense of QOL and other working condition issues. I know my old union used to let management jerk people around and mess with their jobs, and would tell their members "At least you still have a job." But this was in a troubled company that is always on the brink of disaster. A union in a healthy industry may be less likely to make those kind of concessions.

You want to look at your co-workers who are supporting the union, what kind of people are they? That's the main thing that determines how things are going to be.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:01 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
This could be a 50 page thread before it's over. People tend to have very extreme views of unions on either side.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:09 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
I think unions can be good, it doesn't mean they always are.

I think in some hospitals, unions are necessary.
Some hospitals treat their staff like crap and don't pay very well even though they bring in quite a bit of revenue.

Welcome to Workday Minnesota, your leading source for labor news!

I think unions are necessary to keep employer abuses in check.

I know some workplaces don't need unions, the employer treats employees very well but there are other workplaces that can use unions.

I personally would love to have a union at my job.

I don't think anything should stand between people who want to organize and form a union. It's such a sad thing that many companies bring in union busters.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:30 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
I'd be interested in what specific union it is. I'm not at all a fan of unions, but it's not because I think that a organization that represents workers is a bad thing. I generally don't like them because many unions are now just huge organizations that have full-time staff to lobby for them and buy off politicians. It's not even a matter of representation anymore for these people, it's a matter of power. Funny how many times I've heard union workers go on about the necessity of having their union then turn right around and talk about how the union doesn't do crap for them. Maybe if they weren't corporations in themselves and got back to basics then people wouldn't have such a problem.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:09 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,013 times
Are you generally happy with management? If you can bear them, then say no; if they are abusive, then yes.

The truth is when the union comes in, only one person gets rich: The union. You will have money unwillingly taken out of your check (more than you already lose to taxes). Your management will have a giant wall around them in fear that if they say something wrong, you will sue.

In unions every action in put into a contract. Is there a dying patient who needs medicine for comfort? You might normally administer it, even though it's not explicitly your job, now will the SEIU in, you will have to call on the right person.

I'd imagine you got into nursing because you are compassionate, and if that's the case, the union will create a workplace run by greedy union bosses - not what you can do to help the hurting and ailing.

If the union comes in, it won't be about helping, it'll be dollars and cents everywhere. Say goodbye to any of your managers who you got along well with, even considered friends, because trust me, they won't be able to talk to you. Unions will cause fights and arguments with your co-workers. You need to vote no.

If you even doubt that you want a union with a tiny sliver, say no. The union can keep coming back - once they are in they are almost never repealed because the laws are such that unions are easy to get in, but very tough to remove.

Vote with your heart, and vote no.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:30 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
I belong to an allnurse forum and the nurses who live and work in union states LOVE it, those who do not are amazed at the support they get. So if your a nurse I'd say yep, but be sure to read the fine print as to what they will offer and how much it'll cost you. I've worked in states that had no unions for nurses and right to hire/fire states, the abuses from management, low pay, rediculous policies, high patient ratio's etc. so all I can say is what I've "heard", but it would be worth investigating.

Oh and btw, my daddy was a small business owner and hated the unions, we were threatened and the business was fire bombed (didn't hurt anyone or do much damage) so I guess my daddy is rollin' over in his grave me being semi-pro union.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:31 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Are you generally happy with management? If you can bear them, then say no; if they are abusive, then yes.

The truth is when the union comes in, only one person gets rich: The union. You will have money unwillingly taken out of your check (more than you already lose to taxes). Your management will have a giant wall around them in fear that if they say something wrong, you will sue.

In unions every action in put into a contract. Is there a dying patient who needs medicine for comfort? You might normally administer it, even though it's not explicitly your job, now will the SEIU in, you will have to call on the right person.

I'd imagine you got into nursing because you are compassionate, and if that's the case, the union will create a workplace run by greedy union bosses - not what you can do to help the hurting and ailing.

If the union comes in, it won't be about helping, it'll be dollars and cents everywhere. Say goodbye to any of your managers who you got along well with, even considered friends, because trust me, they won't be able to talk to you. Unions will cause fights and arguments with your co-workers. You need to vote no.

If you even doubt that you want a union with a tiny sliver, say no. The union can keep coming back - once they are in they are almost never repealed because the laws are such that unions are easy to get in, but very tough to remove.

Vote with your heart, and vote no.
So much misinformation. Our union works with management when it comes to training and testing issues in order to better improve safety, which not only improves service it ultimately saves the company a lot of money. A union is the workers voice and allows a point of contact between management and the everyday workers. You won't pay anywhere near in dues what you pay in taxes. Union dues are low, mine are 1.95%.

As far as spelling out what duties are required, and people only allowed to do those duties, that is also false. A contract doesn't specifically spell out what you do, it spells out items such as pay, scope, hours of service etc. For example you may have a contract that expressly prohibits management from contracting out certain positions such as nurses (aka scope). Even the best pay rates mean nothing without scope. It may stipulate how long shifts can be scheduled. It may dictate pay and pay raises. It also may dictate a procedure for discipline.

We are still responsible for adhering to our companies operations manual which is a company written document, not a union one, and people have gotten suspended and/or fired for not adhering to it. The union can't protect you for personal negligence.

An example is my contract stipulates what happens and how I'm paid when management forces me to work on a day off, and a procedure for how to determine who is required to work. It also sets a limit to how often that can happen. It stipulates how long I can be scheduled on a shift - in my case 14 hours unless you start before 8 AM then that 14 hours is reduced every minute for every minute you start work before 8 AM to a minimum of 12 hours. Although that is extendable to 16 which is the federal maximum.

And as far as unions lobbying for workers, LOL, corps lobby on their behalf for favors why not workers?

I think you'll find in every professional environment (white or blue collar) you will still be talking directly with managers to solve issues. I know I have. The union representing me is an insurance policy in case upper management wants me to do something I deem is unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment