Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 04:13 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,579,593 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a chemistry teacher with a masters degree in chemical engineering and I'm looking to get back into engineering. Does anyone have any advice for getting started on a job search in the Metro Detroit area? I know it's not what you know it's who you know and I've been out of the loop for a while. I'm finding that websites are just full of people like me. Anyone had any luck finding an engineering job in this job market? If so, what did you do to find it? Any recommendations on starting to network?

Also I need recommendations on how to explain my two years in teaching. It was intended to be a career change back when I believed the state school board when they said we had a, severe, shortage of math and chemistry teachers. Turns out we have a glut. I'm finding that being NEEDED to teach was a big part of my wanting to teach. Also with there being a glut, it makes little sense to take the several years it would take to turn someone like me into a good teacher when you can simply hire one off the street who is already seasoned. I know if I were making the hiring decisions, that's what I'd do.

So, I'm at a crossroads and trying to make a u turn. I was in automotive engineering until November of 2007 when I was downsized out. I student taught winter term 2008 and then took a job in a charter school teaching chemistry and physics. I want to get closer to my roots. One thing I have found with this job change is that what I really want is to get into chemical engineering. I was, definitely, bored with where I was in automotive engineering but I wasn't doing what I trained for.

So, what advice do you have for starting a job search and making my u turn not look like I made a mistake in choosing to go into teaching. If we had a shortage of teachers, I'd consider it well worth putting in the effort to turn me into a good teacher over the next few years and I would have been happy knowing I was doing a job that needed to be done and there was no one else to do it but we don't have a shortage.

Thanks
I appreciate your input.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 05-19-2010 at 04:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,845,526 times
Are you willing to move out of Detroit and/or Michigan? If so, you (obviously) would have a lot more options. (You also may want to post this on the Detroit forum.)

Recommend you find a job requiring a security clearance. More difficult for your job to be offshored. A clearance is probably more valuable than a masters degree. More doors will open.

What about gas/oil/petroleum industries? Texas?

Aerospace/DOD/NASA? Huntsville, Alabama has lots of jobs.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Are you willing to move out of Detroit and/or Michigan? If so, you (obviously) would have a lot more options. (You also may want to post this on the Detroit forum.)

Recommend you find a job requiring a security clearance. More difficult for your job to be offshored. A clearance is probably more valuable than a masters degree. More doors will open.

What about gas/oil/petroleum industries? Texas?

Aerospace/DOD/NASA? Huntsville, Alabama has lots of jobs.
Unfortunately, I'm tied to the Metro Detroit area until my husband retires in about 4-5 years. We can't trade his job for mine unless it was a really great deal. However, Huntsville is where his company is headquartered. That might be doable. Thanks. I'll check out jobs in the area and ask my husband to see if there's any possibility of transferring to Alabama.

I'd be willing to go out of state on a rotational basis. I've heard of jobs where you alternate working 12 hour days for several weeks and then have several weeks off when you can go home. If I could find something like that, I'd do it.

I've never had a security clearance but I've been bonded and, as a teacher, I had to pass a screaning. I wonder how I go about getting a clearance?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:13 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,479,585 times
You should honestly look at either moving south to somewhere like Houston (petroleum) or somewhere heavy with biomed (either the west coast or the north east). Otherwise you're going to have problems.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
You should honestly look at either moving south to somewhere like Houston (petroleum) or somewhere heavy with biomed (either the west coast or the north east). Otherwise you're going to have problems.
Yeah. I'm close to splitting the family up so we both have decent jobs. My mother in law says it's time to face that we will have to work in different states and just visit. I keep putting that off because I'd really miss my kids.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 PM

163 posts, read 428,527 times
As soon as you find out, let me know where the jobs are at

-A laid off, unemployed Chemical Engineer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment