Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:32 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times

Advertisements

Come on then Americans, there's a thread as to how much we know about cities in your country so how much do you know about these European cities?

Stockholm

Birmingham

Kiev

Naples

Marseille

Gdansk

Brussels

Seville

Sarajevo

Frankfurt

Last edited by ben86; 01-15-2011 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 02:59 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
good poll. A little ashamed of my lack of knowledge on (these) European cities, esp., since I love European culture.

Birmingham --England's second city, industrial, soccer

Kiev -- big Ukranian (?) city

Naples -- pizza, west Mediterranean

Marseille -- French, nothing more

Gdansk -- Poland, nothing more

Brussels -- Belgium, political center

Seville -- Giralda Tower, white buildings, nice architecture, flamenco, Andalucia, world expo, cultural center, cathedral

Sarajevo -- war, winter Olympics

Frankfurt -- banking and finance, modern, skyscrapers, less culture/history than other German cities.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:07 PM

209 posts, read 679,980 times
Birmingham - large city in UK; cloudy, industrial, boring

Kiev - capital of Ukraine; developing; Russian influences are still strong; brutal winters

Naples - always hear it spoken of as a resort town in Italy; popular tourist destination

Marseille - major city in French; popular tourist destination

Gdansk - port city; kind of an atypical Polish city; mild climate compared to the rest of Poland

Brussels - home of the EU; most "international" city in Europe; very diverse by European standards; illegal immigration is consider a major issue by natives

Seville - another popular tourist destination, this time in Spain

Sarajevo - war torn city; still rebuilding/recovering

Frankfurt - business capital of Germany; international hub; airport needs renovating (I know that first hand); I consider it the most American of European cities -- at least in my experience -- due to more modern architecture

Old 01-15-2011, 03:27 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
Stockholm - The Venice of the north

Birmingham - Built around the mining industry

Kiev - Depressed Eastern European (Ukrainian) metropolis

Naples - Pickpockets, crime, Camorra, pasta alla puttanseca

Marseille - Large Arab / North African population

Gdansk - Once an independent city-state, known in German as "Danzig"

Brussels - "Capital" of the E.U., mussels, waffles, beer

Seville - In Southern Spain, a river crosses through it

Sarajevo - War-torn

Frankfurt - Almost entirely reconstructed after WWII, many say it is the most "American-looking" of European cities

Old 01-15-2011, 04:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Come on then Americans, there's a thread as to how much we know about cities in your country so how much do you know about these European cities?
Stockholm-Beautiful Swedish city built on islands and canals. Probably where Ikea was founded...Looks very similar to other large Northern European capitals.

Birmingham-Industrial city, where Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath came out of in the late 60s and a bunch of reggae and ska bands in the late 70s. The people there speak with a distinct English accent.

Kiev-Biggest Ukrainian city--some old churches and buildings. Lots of beautiful blond Ukrainian women.

Naples-Big densely packed Neapolitan city. The birthplace of pizza and the home of the Camorra(Neapolitan mob). Feels much different than Northern Italy and the dialect is different as well.

Marseille-Has a huge Arab/Muslim population. Has a much more Mediterannean feel than other French cities, and has an exotic feel and look in the old port area. Where bouilibasse was invented.

Gdansk-Basically where World War II started when the Germans invaded the Free State of Danzig --was formelly known as Danzig during it's years of German rule(was a major port in the Hanseatic League) Was mostly destroyed and rebuilt after World War II. Was the birthplace of the Solidarity movement during the Communist period in Poland. Biggest shipping port in Poland.

Brussels-The Grand Place is one of the most beautiful squares in Europe. Great Belgian beer and chocolates. Home of the EU headquarters buildings, making it basically the capital of the European Union. One of the biggest tourist photo ops is a statue of small boy peeing...

Seville-Southern Andalusian city with a lot of old Moorish buildings. Built on a river, and the port is where Columbus and many other Spanish explorers/conquistadors sailed from.

Sarajevo-Mostly Muslim Bosnian city surrounded by mountains, with an old Turkish district at it's core and nice old Austrian architecture beyond that. Still has a lot of war damage and to the east of town is still divided into Serb territory, but has been improving since the war in the 90s.

Frankfurt-The most American of German cities, has one of the biggest skylines in Europe and is a major financial center.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:35 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Birmingham --England's second city
That's debatable:

Second city of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Since World War I, Birmingham has historically been considered the second city of the United Kingdom, but recent polls and media references have indicated that Manchester is regarded as the second city.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:47 PM

Wow, it looks like I really underestimated what people would know, well done! I thought it was a bit hard putting in Gdansk, Birmingham and Marseilles but all of those answers above are pretty much spot on, and I know more about Sarajevo now than when I asked! Birmingham is England's second city in terms of population but few would say it was in terms of importance. I personally would call Manchester the second city.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:48 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yes, I've never been to either Manchester or Birmingham, but if you asked me what was the 2nd city of England, I'd probably say Manchester. I suppose with Manchester United and the music scene of Manchester in the 80s and 90s, it makes sense that it might have more of a cultural imprint throughout the world.

Last edited by Deezus; 01-15-2011 at 04:57 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 04:55 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
All the folks replying here so far seem to know a good deal more than I do about these cities (I haven't really been outside Canada or the US). I didn't know anything about Gdansk and Seville, and for Sarajevo, I remember it mainly from the history lesson about how WWI started with the assassination of Franz Ferdinand.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:13 PM

Right, you've impressed me with how much you know about the first set of cities, so here are some more:

Munich

Madrid

Rotterdam

Athens

Cardiff

Sofia

Lviv

Lisbon

Minsk

Luxembourg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe