Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:50 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,445 times

Advertisements

There are no friendlier groups of people. There are nice Germans and mean Germans. There are nice English people and mean English people. There are nice Americans and mean Americans. It depends on the individual. There are no "nicer" or "meaner" groups of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:36 PM

9 posts, read 9,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
There are no friendlier groups of people. There are nice Germans and mean Germans. There are nice English people and mean English people. There are nice Americans and mean Americans. It depends on the individual. There are no "nicer" or "meaner" groups of people.

This. Exactly. It's fun to stereotype, and then look for the deeper reasons behind those stereotypes, but this is waaaay too broad to make sense. I have met enough Germans and Brits to know that there are gems and rotten apples to behold in both countries just like there are in the US. The same goes for Australia, South Africa, Israel, Korea, France, Spain, etc. Perhaps stereotypes meant more 50 years ago before all of our cultures started mushing together so much, but they no longer fit.

The stereotype of Germans being cold, bitter people is far from the truth. I had a German roommate in college (along with 2 other American ones) and he was a godsend! He never woke me up in the night, never slammed doors, he never peed on any furniture, and he never stayed up until 3 am playing Call of Duty (unlike my other roommates). He also made a point to ask me about my day, and seemed genuinely interested in making me feel comfortable around him. BUT he rarely complained about my other roommates, even though it was quite obvious that they bothered him.

That being said, I had previously met other Germans who were complete jerks, armed to the teeth with anti-American jokes and factoids. Here in St. Louis, we seem to get a fair number of German tourists, always with children, and they seem very polite. So, though you can't stereotype about how "nice" people are, I will say that Germans (in my experience) restrict their behavior (and loudness) when in public. Perhaps I've only met polite Germans though.

My in-person experience with Britons is (perhaps, surprisingly) less, but I have met several who are of the callous anti-American variety. They were all from England. They're anti-Americanism is sometimes less playful than that of the Germans. I was raised to be in love with English history and culture, so I have nothing but praise for the country, so it's not *me* that's fueling the whole "UK vs America" thing. They just seem to love doing it. They can be hilarious about it though, so I usually just let them have fun. Though I wouldn't mistake the anti-Americanism of young people (who I met out of their element) for the behavior patterns of the whole country.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
This Texan will let you know her opinion when she returns from her trip to the UK later this year!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:10 PM

311 posts, read 605,470 times
Americans are among the most friendliest people in this planet. Most Europeans are rude unfortunately, which I see and think is pretty sad because most of them are beautiful and dress up nicely, yet that rude or arrogant towards immigrants/tourists.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:34 PM

420 posts, read 823,427 times
Always heard from my non-American friends that Americans were the friendliest.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:35 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
if everyone was as PC as you , forums would soon die of boredom

of course their are nice and not so nice people in every country but on average their are some nations which are more friendly than others in the common sense of the word

americans would be regarded as more friendly than russians for example

irish people would be regarded as more friendly than austrians , its just a reputational thing , ive only ever met on austrian , on a very long plane journey and they were tremendous company

as for germans , american and english

americans have a kind of superfical ( not saying its insincere ) and slightly goofy friendliness which is the norm over there

english people are friendly but in a more reserved and cool way

germans are friendly in a more formal and cautious way , overall americans are probabley the most friendly but ive always found the english friendly , any german ive met so far , ive liked but the numbers have been smaller

Old 07-08-2012, 05:49 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
It's regional, to some extent. Brits in the center and north are friendlier than Londoners. Germans in the south and west are friendlier than in the center or north, generally speaking. Americans? Well, Seattle is pretty notoriously unfriendly. CA is very outgoing. NYC? Idk, the New Yorkers can handle that. The South? Probably pretty friendly.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This Texan will let you know her opinion when she returns from her trip to the UK later this year!
I'm shocked, when did the UK start giving Texans seven day visas ?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,530 times
In my experience after living in Germany for a few years, I had often found the people in the center and north to be very friendly.

I'm an American and I have family in all three countries, so I have a bit of a funny perspective on this. The rudest Brits i've come across have been in Hessen, The rudest Germans that I've come across were in Miami, go figure.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:21 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
In my experience after living in Germany for a few years, I had often found the people in the center and north to be very friendly.
Coming from the very southwestern part of Germany I also cannot say northerners are less friendly. Different from us, yes, but not unfriendlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World