Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 PM

230 posts, read 905,237 times

Advertisements

I have had a few students tell me that we Americans expect people to know English when we travel and get upset when people don't. My impression was always that those of us who actually travel are happy when people can speak our language but don't really expect it, and that, in general, those who get upset have usually learned English as a second language really well (Germans, Dutch ect.) and wonder why others have not done the same. Of course I could be totally wrong on this. So when Americans travel do most expect the locals to know English or not and do we get upset when they don't?

By the way, none of these students speak English well enough or are well traveled enough to actually tell who is American and who is not.

Last edited by nesne; 12-07-2011 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
As an American person who has lived overseas for a very long time, I regularly hear that myth. It usually comes from Americans who don't travel, or Europeans/ Canadians.

Because of these myths, I usually find Americans trying to seriously overcompensate the rumours by actually spending alot of time learning other languages before they travel.

But that's my experiences in Asia and south America. I'm sure a Dutch or Swiss who meets an American on a month europass will rightfully and quickly disagree with me

Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
I have had a few students tell me that we Americans expect people to know English when we travel and get upset when people don't. My impression was always that those of us who actually travel are happy when people can speak our language but don't really expect it, and that, in general, those who get upset have usually learned English as a second language really well (Germans, Dutch ect.) and wonder why others have not done the same. Of course I could be totally wrong on this. So when Americans travel do most expect the locals to know English or not and do we get upset when they don't?

By the way, none of these students speak English well enough or are well traveled enough to actually tell who is American and who is not.
French?

I've never heard of this before.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
Heck--and I'm serious here--I don't expect people in the USA to speak English: When I'm traveling it's just a bonus!
I do suppose, however, that many people who stay in hotels or go to nicer restaurants probably assume that workers there will speak some English.
Overall, it's a myth perhaps exacerbated by a few gits who walk around at a port of call of some cruise ship, or package tour, and talk loudly at people expecting them to understand.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:46 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
I expect from everyone in the 1st world between the age of 10 and 40 that they can communicate in English (well at least at a basic level it doesn't have to be perfect) especially from people in their 20's.

I do not get upset when they can't, just disappointed.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,190 times
American here. I always learn a dozen or so phrases in the local language wherever I go. I never expect people to know English. I also try to learn something about the local culture/customs. With the wealth of information out there, especially if you're not part of a tour group, you'd be a fool not to learn a few things about your destination. If the thought of learning these things is too much for you to handle, then you should stay home or at least sign up for a group tour. This applies to all nationalities traveling anywhere.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
Living in South Florida, we get tons of international tourists visiting the area.

Quite a few of them dont speak English, or very fractured or broken English.

We try to be patient with them and attempt to answer their questions in the best manner we can. I dont demand that they speak to me in perfected English----I know if you are busy and pressed for time, it can be difficult trying to answer their questions---but try.

That being said, if we are in Denmark, Spain, Japan, or anywhere else can we expect everybody we converse with to speak English-----maybe carry a translation guide or hope they speak English. If not find some business or tourist guides that may. We cant expect the rest of the world to beckon the call to all of our tourists to speak English----thats what propagates the image of the ugly Americans.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
A lot of times, it's hard to tell which people can speak English and which don't because many people refuse to speak English even if they can do so perfectly well.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:44 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I don't care where they are, if they dont speak english they can GET OUT

Old 12-08-2011, 12:19 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
EXPECT! Sadly, yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World