Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 03:40 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times

Advertisements

based on your own experiences...

Most:
Japanese
South Koreans
Filipinos
Indonesians
Thai

Least:
Russians
French
Moroccans
Serbians
Bosnians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 04:23 PM

253 posts, read 558,274 times
Well based on my experience:

Nicest:
Malaysians are by far the nicest people I have ever met!
Native Americans in Canada are very friendly
Chinese
Syrians - This is the country of giving, even when you go shopping don't be surprised if they offer you juice or tea. If it's "snack time" you'll get some too.
Japanese
Filipino

Least Friendly:
Russians
Americans - sorry I've met a few really nice Americans but I've met far more that aren't nice, even Americans living in other countries have a tendency to not be that friendly. Hey prove me wrong, I have an open mind.
Canadians - Many of us are passive aggressive and are only nice when we want something. Canadians are great "fakers" when it comes to being nice.
Chinese - are either really friendly or really rude
Serbians

Old 11-21-2011, 04:25 PM

86 posts, read 155,536 times
Just from my personal experience......Greeks are the nicest, friendliest, happiest and Mexicans lack basic social skills.

Also, the Austrailians that I have known are soooooo friendly and fun-loving!

Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
based on your own experiences...

Most:
Japanese
South Koreans
Filipinos
Indonesians
Thai

Least:
Russians
French
Moroccans
Serbians
Bosnians
Based both on travels and on people I've come across in the U.S.

MOST
1. American Southerners and Texans
2. Bermudians
3. Bahamians
4. Mexicans
5. Italians

LEAST
1. "Russians" - though many of these are actually Russian Jews (interesting since I don't find American Jews to be particularly unfriendly) or from the other former USSR republics and not actually true Russians
2. Pakistanis
3. Iranians
4. Greeks
5. Germans (the others above came across as more arrogant, rude and demanding but Germans are more cold and distant)

Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
Well based on my experience:

Nicest:
Malaysians are by far the nicest people I have ever met!
Native Americans in Canada are very friendly
Chinese
Syrians - This is the country of giving, even when you go shopping don't be surprised if they offer you juice or tea. If it's "snack time" you'll get some too.
Japanese
Filipino

Least Friendly:
Russians
Americans - sorry I've met a few really nice Americans but I've met far more that aren't nice, even Americans living in other countries have a tendency to not be that friendly. Hey prove me wrong, I have an open mind.
Canadians - Many of us are passive aggressive and are only nice when we want something. Canadians are great "fakers" when it comes to being nice.
Chinese - are either really friendly or really rude
Serbians
I think for America it truly depends on what part of the country. If you live in Canada you probably deal with mostly New Yorkers and Bostonians and New Englanders I would imagine. Southerners and Texans are the friendliest people I've encountered in the whole world.

In my travels abroad the Germans were the least friendly....they were not rude but just very cold and distant and not gregarious the way people in a small American town for example would be. With immigrants I see in the U.S. the Mexicans are generally friendly, those that are not part of the gang scene of course. I am Chinese American and most Chinese and other Asian immigrants here don't seem to be very social or openly friendly though I think language plays a big part in this. In China like in any other country people people in more rural areas tend to be nicer than those in the big cities.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
Looking it up most lists are about "friendliness toward expats", which can mean more laws or the like. The following might be a bit different than that.

5 Friendliest Nations On Planet Earth
World's friendliest countries - travel tips and articles - Lonely Planet

I haven't traveled overseas enough to know, but I've heard from people I know that Australians, Thai, and some African nations are friendly. Samoa has a reputation as friendly. On the reverse the French have a bad reputation, that some of them even believe, but the French I've met were basically as friendly as anyone else. I tend to think of the British as unfriendly, but I don't know that they are too much. The few Russians I've met were elderly academic types so I don't think are very representative.

Going by the Gallup "World Giving Index" Australia and New Zealand were tied for most "generous" nation. Ireland, Canada, Switzerland, and the US were also near the top. Generosity might relate to friendliness. Interestingly Madagascar came out the bottom. Possibly that's due to poverty, but they were fairly low on "helping a stranger" too and that's an element where Liberians were the tops which I think means it might not be as much economic-based.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...giving-country

In the US the "personality map" Georgia and Utah are high in agreeableness and extroversion while being in the top-twenty for openness.

The United States of Mind - WSJ.com

Old 11-21-2011, 10:26 PM

425 posts, read 653,589 times
It's probably a bit too much to draw impressions of a whole culture based on a few encounters, but if my experience is anything to go on Australians are the most unfriendly, braying, self-aggrandizing arses on the planet.

On the other hand, I don't know where earlier posters got the idea that Iranians are unfriendly. Every Iranian I've had the pleasure of dealing with has been nice to a fault. But maybe it's different in Iran.

And can I hear something about Chileans and Ghanans? Folks I've met from there seem to have fantastic sunny dispositions.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 PM

51 posts, read 154,036 times
It was interesting to read that Iranians (Persians) were among the friendliest in the world. I've had a couple of Persian roommates in college and they were very friendly, passionate and full of life! It's too bad about their government.

I have to disagree with Russians being among the "unfriendliest". I lived in Russia - Moscow, to be exact - for over 2 years and while they seem stern in public, the moment you get to know someone they are among the most generous and fun and friendliest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
And can I hear something about Chileans and Ghanans? Folks I've met from there seem to have fantastic sunny dispositions.
I never met any Chileans but i did spoke to 10-15 Ghanaian people in my life and never had any bad experiences.
They kinda reminded me of Jamaican people especially the women, very relax and not like all the other West Africans (most of them Nigerian) i met who always talk loud as if they want to fight you.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 PM

16 posts, read 41,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atethepaint View Post
It was interesting to read that Iranians (Persians) were among the friendliest in the world. I've had a couple of Persian roommates in college and they were very friendly, passionate and full of life! It's too bad about their government.

I have to disagree with Russians being among the "unfriendliest". I lived in Russia - Moscow, to be exact - for over 2 years and while they seem stern in public, the moment you get to know someone they are among the most generous and fun and friendliest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet.
Of course we aren't friendly (there is sarcasm in this of course) People always want to judge other cultures in comparison to their own, and you can't do this. Maybe we aren't going to smile and say hello to everyone, maybe we push our way on the bus or into the metro station or will step in front of you if you don't move when the que starts to move, but that is our culture. If you don't understand our language or the cadence or tone of it of it you might think we sound mean or angry when we aren't. If you don't tanke care of yourself or your family nobody else will.

But of course after everyone has pushed onto the metro car or bus, old women and men, invalids, pregnant women, families with children, etc. are always given a seat without a second thought. We buy poorly made gloves and winter hats or half rotten vegetables from old ladies on the street who clearly are in need of money just to help them without even needing to think about it. If you are sitting on a bench next to us drinking you are invited to join.

Russians aren't 'unfriendly' but I can certainly see how it might appear that way to some foreigner though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World