Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:33 PM

508 posts, read 889,784 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine said a friend of his had a problem at Qatar's airport. Apparently, Qatar is riddled with corruption that is "out in the open." Whether or not that is true beats the heck out of me.

As for Expat centres (to use a little British spelling) I'd say:

Vientiane, Laos
Asuncion, Paraguay

At least for those trying to live on the cheap. But I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Tiny little island, built on fetid (mangrove) swampland. Ruled by a dictator who censored (or kicked out) the Far Eastern Economic Review, Asian Wall Street Journal and Time because ... well, that's what dictators do, right?

Settle or fight? Far Eastern Economic Review and Singapore | Settle or fight? Far Eastern Economic Review and Singapore - A Journalism Case Study
I don't know what is worst. Banned news organization from reporting or doing the Washington's way, getting news organization to spread the agenda.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:28 AM

56 posts, read 119,104 times
If we talk about best places we have to start from the amount of money in our pockets.
For example my income at retirement will be 2000$ so its enough for very simple living.
Our second step is our status--single or married.
Next step is our health which will dictate how far from native country you have to be.
Then there is preference for cold or hot places.
And finally my personal preference for available cheap sex aka prostitutes.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
The response to this important question also depends on someone’s exact lifestyle preferences, and the kind of day to day life scene they are looking for in a place.

The website link in original post is impressive, tries to show in depth analysis, using up to 57 specific categories to rank and compare various countries all over the world: Expat Explorer Survey - world's largest expat survey from HSBC Expat

However, I notice its not perfect for trying to select for each person the best countries for living in. There is even some obvious flaws, misconceptions, and false stereotypes for how they rank some countries. I respect their attempt, especially for including 57 categories, and the global comparison map, but I don’t agree with how they rank some countries for this topic.

I already know my top 25 favorite countries for living in and I don’t need a website link to select for me every country.

Based on the website categories, these are the top 10: Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong part of China, Mexico, Switzerland, Malaysia, China, Vietnam, Australia, Spain

My personal top 10 to top 25 favorite countries for international living not related to the website link shows a different story, mostly in exact order: France, Austria, Switzerland, Taiwan, China, Singapore, Thailand, Japan, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Argentina, UK, Germany, Czech Republic, Canada, Australia, India, Malaysia, Vietnam

Old 05-23-2013, 06:09 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Don't know about expats, but Germany was listed as the most favorite country this year.....it took over Japan

Europe's largest economy Germany, which has been criticized for not doing enough to help struggling euro zone countries, has topped a poll as the world's most popular country.

Most Popular Country in the World, Revealed - Yahoo! Finance

Old 05-25-2013, 12:10 PM

My personal top 25 favorite countries for international living, mostly in exact order: France, Austria, Switzerland, Taiwan, China, Singapore, Thailand, Japan, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Argentina, UK, Germany, Czech Republic, Canada, Australia, India, Malaysia, Vietnam

Old 05-25-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Don't know about expats, but Germany was listed as the most favorite country this year.....it took over Japan

Europe's largest economy Germany, which has been criticized for not doing enough to help struggling euro zone countries, has topped a poll as the world's most popular country.

Most Popular Country in the World, Revealed - Yahoo! Finance
There is absolutely no possible way Germany is currently the number 1 most popular country in the world.

Having a decent economy is not enough of a reason to be the number 1 most popular country, or even a popular country.

Life is about a wide variation of topics and activities being part of the picture. The economy is really just a small part of it, and actually gets in the way of the World’s peace, stability too much, and sometimes being too sterile. I know it matters too, but I realize the flaws and vulnerabilities in economy.

Germany does not even have the best economy in Europe overall when knowing the real situation, seeing the statistics, and further information. The countries of Switzerland, Norway, Netherlands, Austria, Sweden, Denmark actually have a higher average per capita income than Germany, more income equality, and those European countries have the same or lower unemployment rate overall than Germany. They also don’t try to monopolize involvement in European Union’s economy and not causing any damage. Germany tries to control the EU economy too much, and probably causing some problems.

Anyways, away from the overly idealistic view some people have for Germany’s economy, I have nothing else against Germany. It even qualifies in my top 25 favorite countries for international living around 20th place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World