Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:21 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
True. But for every Obama or Oprah there is 10 black men in jail. The highest obesity rate, HIV rate, poverty rate, etc.....

Is there anyplace in the world where Africans have a generally high standard of living where they also are the majority?
I believe the UK. African immigrant education levels are high if not the highest achieved by migrants in England,from what I recall. On the other hand black folk with a West Indian background have the lowest achievment levels in UK schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
But the people in the examples you give are those who have ancestors living in America for generations. I think the OP is talking about blacks that have come from Africa. Still more or less I agree with your statement. Since America has had black people for many many generations they have had time to become established. Other countries in Europe and Asia blacks are fairly new arrivals as immigrants.
I think some Latin American countries would be fine as well. There are some central and south american countries with a sizable black and mulatto populations 10%+. I don't think Mexico has a problem either while there aren't many blacks there I do know it's one of the few countries that accepts Haitian black refugees.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:45 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,793,025 times
African immigrants are generally well received in Brazil, specially those from Portuguese speaking countries (Angola, Cape Verde...)

Old 07-06-2011, 03:47 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
African immigrants are generally well received in Brazil, specially those from Portuguese speaking countries (Angola, Cape Verde...)
But I have also heard so many stories about racism. I know racism can occur anywhere, but are blacks really fully intergrated in society? As in, do they have similar achievement levels as others?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Only asking as never been, but I just wonder how easy is it for a black person to progress in Brazilian society?

I recall reading a good twenty plus years ago that Brazilian society was rather stratified when it came to colour.
Something like all is fine as long as the other understands where their position is and will remain in society.
Is this no longer the case,I wonder?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,793,025 times
Unfortunately, there is still a gap between blacks and "non-blacks" in Brazil, although it is being reduced. Black people often still face more difficulty to get a good job than "non-blacks", because of a kind of subtle discrimination in the process of selection of new employees in many companies.

But this situation is changing with time, and I think that gap will be narrowed even more in the coming years.

Regarding to recent African immigrants, they don't face much discrimination. People treat them mostly with curiosity than with any other feeling.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM

278 posts, read 621,991 times
The GDP per capita of Caiman Islands is higher than that of richest country of the European Union. The population of Caiman Islands is diverse and has many people of African ancestry.

Bahamas is also prosperous, and its people have African roots.

Bahamas, Caiman Islands, British Virgin Islands, and United States of America are the best countries for people of African ancestry. No glass ceilings. High GDP per capita.

I am not sure 100 percent but I think Bahamas, Caiman Islands and the British Virgin islands are still members of the British Commonwealth.

The US is ideal for any person (regardless of background), its laws and system were made to integrate and protect everybody regardless of race, age, sex, religion, etc etc...

Old 07-06-2011, 06:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
True. But for every Obama or Oprah there is 10 black men in jail. The highest obesity rate, HIV rate, poverty rate, etc.....

Is there anyplace in the world where Africans have a generally high standard of living where they also are the majority?
The Bahamas comes to mind for me

Old 07-06-2011, 07:27 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
The two most developed nations I find to be primarily of Black-African descent are Barbados and the Bahamas. They are both listed by the UN as more developed than Chile or Croatia.

International Human Development Indicators - UNDP
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/bf.html
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/bb.html

Among territories Bermuda is listed by the CIA World Factbook as majority black. They also list its per-capita-income as the fourth highest in the world and their life expectancy as the 20th highest. In both they were placed above the US and Norway.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/bd.html
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...=noa&rank=4#bd
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...noa&rank=20#bd

Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
The GDP per capita of Caiman Islands is higher than that of richest country of the European Union. The population of Caiman Islands is diverse and has many people of African ancestry.

Bahamas is also prosperous, and its people have African roots.

Bahamas, Caiman Islands, British Virgin Islands, and United States of America are the best countries for people of African ancestry. No glass ceilings. High GDP per capita.

I am not sure 100 percent but I think Bahamas, Caiman Islands and the British Virgin islands are still members of the British Commonwealth.

The US is ideal for any person (regardless of background), its laws and system were made to integrate and protect everybody regardless of race, age, sex, religion, etc etc...
All three islands mentioned are indeed part of the Commonwealth. My question would be there is wealth on these islands to be sure,but to what degree is that wealth held in the hands of a few?
Shouldn't we look at the distubution of this wealth before arriving at any judgement on suitability?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World