Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:35 AM

620 posts, read 1,300,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Just wondering if the following are available/ eaten outside the US, or if Americans traveling abroad have seen these elsewhere:

- chili dogs
- corn dogs
- red velvet cake
- milkshakes
- flavored popcorn
- chicken-fried-steak
I just returned to the States after living in Ireland.

They do have chili dogs but you will mostly find them at Eddie Rockets (or Johnny Rockets in the States). But, you can buy hot dogs at their grocery stores and I think I saw 'American style' chili on the shelves. However, their hot dogs don't have as many preservatives as our's; I bought a package thinking I could have it for a few days, but it began to mold on the third.

Corn dogs are again something you could find at an American-style chain restaurant.

There's this food market that takes place every Thursday near the Grand Canal. There is a woman who has a cupcake business and she offer's Red Velvet Cupcakes. I do think it is considered to be exotic for them.

Cupcakes are gaining momentum, as are Milkshake bars. There are a few gourmet milkshake chains setting up shop around Dublin.

Flavored popcorn, yes, but not many flavors. Mostly cheese and I believe toffee popcorn.

No to chicken fried steak. Actually, 'Southern' Fried Chicken has become quite popular over there; every store's deli offers 'Southern' Fried Chicken bagettes. The sad truth is that all versions of 'Southern' Fried are just a replication of KFC's recipe.

Ironic: Corned Beef is no longer a popular dish you will find at most pubs. You'll see it on the menu at popular touristy pubs but Corned Beef and Cabbage is more of an Irish-American thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

You can find Mexican food everywhere.
According to many Americans and Mexicans, the Mexican food in Europe is terrible, they claim it's not famous over there because the quality is so poor. Possibly only Paris has decent Mexican restaurants as in my last google search I found that there are dozens of them in Paris alone.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:07 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
According to many Americans and Mexicans, the Mexican food in Europe is terrible, they claim it's not famous over there because the quality is so poor. Possibly only Paris has decent Mexican restaurants as in my last google search I found that there are dozens of them in Paris alone.
You can throw Australia on top of that. We do have mexican places hear, but they are very few and far between.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I love root beer, especially the small boutique brands you get there but that's another one not available in Oz except from speciality, import stores. Besides, the word 'root' is very rude here so there'd never be a product with that word in the name here. It's equivalent to the eff word.
So, out of curiosity, how do you refer to those parts of the trees that grow underground and anchor the trunk and take in moisture and nutrients from the soil. It is that part of the sassafras tree from which 'root' beer takes its name.

I mean, in America, the word 'pork', when used as a verb, can be used to mean 'fornicate' in a very crude way, but no one is shy about eating 'pork' products (except Jews and Muslims, of course).

Old 07-18-2011, 09:55 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
So, out of curiosity, how do you refer to those parts of the trees that grow underground and anchor the trunk and take in moisture and nutrients from the soil. It is that part of the sassafras tree from which 'root' beer takes its name.

I mean, in America, the word 'pork', when used as a verb, can be used to mean 'fornicate' in a very crude way, but no one is shy about eating 'pork' products (except Jews and Muslims, of course).
Those parts of the plants are known as roots, nobody is shy about using the word in that case. But you just wouldn't get a common product with that in its name here. We have something similar to root beer - sars - but it's not as good, and not very popular. Unfortunate name though.

Nor do we 'root' for our teams, we barrack for them. And you wouldn't say you're rooting around for something. You'll be up for a bit of snickering. I'm familiar with the connotations of 'pork' in North America - but it's not as commonly viewed as a rude word as 'root' is here.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,274 times
Milkshakes and flavored popcorn are common here in Belgium. About the rest: I think you can get it if you look for it, but it's not too common.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:36 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Just wondering if the following are available/ eaten outside the US, or if Americans traveling abroad have seen these elsewhere:

- chili dogs
- corn dogs
- red velvet cake
- milkshakes
- flavored popcorn
- chicken-fried-steak
What the heck is Chicken Fried Steak?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:47 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
Aaah!!! I looked up Chicken Fried Steak, and all it is is FRIED CUBESTEAK. What a stupid name - Chicken Fried Steak.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:26 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Aaah!!! I looked up Chicken Fried Steak, and all it is is FRIED CUBESTEAK. What a stupid name - Chicken Fried Steak.
LOL! Why is it a stupid name? What makes calling it Cubesteak any better? I can see how it might not make much sense though, if a person doesn't know why its called that.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 AM

620 posts, read 1,300,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
But, it isn't simply frying cubesteak. You don't just throw it into a pan and fry it in oil. You brine it, batter it, and then you shallow fry it much like Fried Chicken thus the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World