Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:46 PM

321 posts, read 960,460 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of sick of seeing all of these threads about who is better than somebody else and who can we dump on to prove our point. It often starts out all in good fun, but then unfortunately some louts start taking themselves seriously.

I'm sure it will be the same here, but let's try, briefly at least, to reply to the question that I have asked. There's no point in giving a completely weird answer, because there are plenty of serious opinion polls that address this subject and plenty of people are certain to dig them up (and I will help) if you give an outrageous reply.

Since I live in France, I will say without hesitation that Germany is the best friend of France, which is kind of incredible considering the mutual history of the two countries -- but also a delightful relief. The second closest friend of France would be the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 03:55 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,411 times
IMO the US is pretty much every ones friend. Till they seem to turn their back on us. Act as if we are the bad guys. Yet we still seem to find ways to help them from their short comings and miss guided leaders.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:34 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
The U.S.'s best friend I'd say is definitely the U.K. Although these 2 countries are very different from one another and are separated by an ocean, they share the same underlying heritage and culture and have been long-term allies.

Other than that, I don't know. Maybe the U.S. and Canada. But as much as the U.S. wants to be close-knit friends with Canada, Canada has a tendency of coming back and badmouthing the U.S. I've often seen this among Canadians themselves. And you see it on Canadian television and media constantly. Such is life, I guess.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-02-2011 at 05:00 PM..

Old 10-02-2011, 05:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
My country is the USA, and our best friend is currently Iran. Thanks to Iran, trillions of dollars are circulating in our economy, in arms production, military-scientific research and development, wages, training and support to military personnel, with millions of jobs created.

Without Iran, the US economy would be in a shambles and we'd be a third world country, just taking in each other's laundry.. Or else we would have to create an Iran. (Which, come to think of it, is how Iran got to be what it is in the first place.)

Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
France and Germany are so in love it's kind of disgusting. Merkel and Sarkozy forever!

Old 10-02-2011, 06:41 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
This is a very complex question. Feeling friendship towards the people of a country in general, is one thing. But feeling friendly towards the leadership here, is something not very easy.
You might be thinking that the whole world loves the US, but I don't think that US has any TRUE and REAL friends.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 PM

430 posts, read 1,256,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The U.S.'s best friend I'd say is definitely the U.K. Although these 2 countries are very different from one another and are separated by an ocean, they share the same underlying heritage and culture and have been long-term allies.
I agree with the above.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:31 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
I would have to say Norway, even if I personally feel closer to Finland.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Other than that, I don't know. Maybe the U.S. and Canada. But as much as the U.S. wants to be close-knit friends with Canada, Canada has a tendency of coming back and badmouthing the U.S. I've often seen this among Canadians themselves. And you see it on Canadian television and media constantly. Such is life, I guess.
100% agree on both paragraphs.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
IMO the US is pretty much every ones friend. Till they seem to turn their back on us. Act as if we are the bad guys. Yet we still seem to find ways to help them from their short comings and miss guided leaders.
Interesting politicization.
The US has overthrown more govenments than almost anyone. We set up leaders until we don't like them then we demonize them.
We're a friend to Iraq? Hardly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World