Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:20 PM

9 posts, read 17,415 times

Advertisements

Some mighty odd thoughts being tossed around here. I don't know why people are so afraid of speaking german. I have been speaking German since I was 36. If I had been brought up speaking it, I doubt I'd mind. Most Cannacks and Aussumonds (I'm one of the former myself, and married to the latter) would be happy to have been born German and eat some rye bread and schnitzel for früstück.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
There's not enough difference to really say. The countries' are just too similar in terms of the characteristics that would matter.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 AM

5 posts, read 29,023 times
Im a Brit & I lived in Australia for 12 yrs in both urban & rural areas.
I have lived in SE Asia for 4 years where there are a fair amount of Aussie sand Canadians.
My experience has shown me that Australia is a very unsophisticated place, even in the capital cities & in larger rural cities
the word "redneck" is a fair reflection sadly, especially in Queensland.
If you are a "Tradie", a straightforward bloke with a Trade behind him who likes his beer, cars & sport (Aussie Rules, Rugby League primarily)
you will fit into Oz & like it.. a lot.

The Canadians I know seem to me to be more sophisticated than the Aussies, though most of them are from larger cities like
Vancouver or Calgary & Edmonton. They are not Tradies, they are from more diverse backgrounds, usually white collar whereas
the Aussies are mainly blue collar. So whilst I have not been to Canada, my knowledge comes from the family I have there & the
Canadian people I have got to know over the last few years.
Canada also has the European influence of its French speaking part & its more European lifestyle.

In my opinion then, I would suggest Canada has to be the more sophisticated of the two countries if only because Australia
most definitely is NOT terribly sophisticated. It has long been held by many that if you are in the Arts the UK is the best place
but if you are in the Trades then Australia is it. I would suggest that Canada holds true for both?
I'm not knocking Australia, i just found it a very unsophisticated place & I would be very surprised if Canada wasn't more sophisticated
across the board, generally speaking.

Last edited by groovernsw; 02-05-2012 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: paragraphs too long

Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
^ Maybe it was the mob you were hanging around? That vein of ocker crudity does run through Australian mainstream society but there are many white collar people in the big cities who wouldn't fit into that stereotype. Tradies do tend to be a bit rough as guts sometimes, anywhere in the world, but yeah there probably is a blokiness to a lot of Australians that is distinct, much more so than North America.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Prichard View Post
Some mighty odd thoughts being tossed around here. I don't know why people are so afraid of speaking german. I have been speaking German since I was 36. If I had been brought up speaking it, I doubt I'd mind. Most Cannacks and Aussumonds (I'm one of the former myself, and married to the latter) would be happy to have been born German and eat some rye bread and schnitzel for früstück.
I'm glad I was born into an English speaking country merely because English is now the de-facto global language. German's importance, like French, is ever-dwindling.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:34 PM

264 posts, read 907,858 times
One is very good at Rugby, the other very good at ice hockey.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
One is very good at Rugby, the other very good at ice hockey.
Well depends on what type of football. Rugby union is more popular in New Zealand than Australia, but Rugby League is more popular in Australia but Rugby League is not popular in all parts of Australia.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:38 PM

264 posts, read 907,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm glad I was born into an English speaking country merely because English is now the de-facto global language. German's importance, like French, is ever-dwindling.
Germany is an economic powerhouse. Germany the size of the state of Montana is the third largest exporter in the world. Therefore, the German language will remain viable.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
Germany is an economic powerhouse. Germany the size of the state of Montana is the third largest exporter in the world. Therefore, the German language will remain viable.
Not saying it won't, but German is only useful in Germany, Austria and among Germans. English is the most useful language globally.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:17 PM

9 posts, read 17,415 times
Us Cannulaks speak a rather lyrical tongue, but then the Ausumonds whine on as if they're trying to pass lychees through their butts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World