Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 AM

250 posts, read 662,091 times

Advertisements

I am a native speaker of Cantonese, but I can't understand Toisan. I also speak Mandarin, but I can't understand Shanghainese, Hokkien, and Hakka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,194,055 times
Not a dialect but a language; Danish. I find it really difficult to understand (as a Norwegian).

Old 09-24-2012, 11:20 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I can speak Spanish as correctly as anyone else in Latin America, but when it comes to listening to it (at 70mph) I fall on my face, dialects or no dialects.

I once talked to a Mexican vendor at the Swap Meet here, and given the large number of Mexican buyers, she told me that there's so many different dialects, even with the Mexicans, she has had problems understanding a number of them!
Totally. I could pass a verbal examination in Spanish proficiency in a classroom pretty easily, but once I get out in the real world it can be difficult to understand regional Spanish.

Before going to Panama and then on to Chile on a excursion, I spent weeks refreshing my Spanish speaking ability--first cab ride in Casco Viejo in Panama City however, I couldn't understand half of what the guy was saying. Some rapid fire, Carribbean-style Spanish can be confusing, and this cab driver was adamant that he wasn't going to slow down his Spanish for some gringo.

And don't get me started on the Chileans! They like to abbreviate words, drop off consonents, and throw in the most random chilenismos(Chilean slang) at the most confusing moments.

On the other hand, I could understand Mexicans in the central highlands and Northern Mexico okay. The best though was Guatemala--because many Mayans speak Spanish as a second language, they often speak a slower and clearer and much simpler Spanish--which is great because it's like we're at the same speaking level. I've heard the same about Bolivia, but I haven't been there yet. For whatever reason, when I've met some Colombian people, I've had an easier time understanding their Spanish as well.

As far as Spainish spoken in Spain--it's seems to be just as much a crapshoot as Latin America when it comes to dialects. I haven't travelled in Spain to really understand the regional varieties, but I can hear the use of "vosotros" or speak with a Castillian lisp. Though I once tried to speak Castillian Spanish to a couple from Barcelona speaking Catalan and they politely responded in English--"You do understand that we actually are speaking a different language?"

Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I am American, and I was surprised to learn that the most-viewed, most popular French MOVIE (FILM) in all history, is a comedy called "Bienvenue Chez les Chtis" and yet this movie is totally unheard of in America and it has never been translated or dubbed (subtitled) in English.
Why were you surprised by this? Not being a smarta$$, just wondering.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:13 PM

888 posts, read 1,592,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Anybody here ever listened to a native English speaker from South Africa? Just wow.

Living abroad I have met many brands of English, I can generally pick them out now and pretty well guess where they're from. It is amazing how many versions of English there are, but the South Africans (great people!) are all but incomprehensible to me. I need subtitles when listening to them.
I find this so hard to believe. The ones i've encountered have made perfect sense to me Now, some of the scottish accents..

Old 09-24-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Anybody here ever listened to a native English speaker from South Africa? Just wow.

Living abroad I have met many brands of English, I can generally pick them out now and pretty well guess where they're from. It is amazing how many versions of English there are, but the South Africans (great people!) are all but incomprehensible to me. I need subtitles when listening to them.
Really? I have found all the ones I met very easy to understand. And I am not a native English speaker.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
I find this so hard to believe. The ones i've encountered have made perfect sense to me Now, some of the scottish accents..
Yeah. Trainspotting. I needed the subtitles.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,476,222 times
I speak German but I can't understand Ostfriesisch or Schwyzerdütsch (aka Swiss German). In Germany when have a Schwyzerdütsch speaker on TV they often have to subtitle them. I can just about handle Hessisch.

I'm afraid it always cracks me up in the US when I see a British program being subtitled. I know the myriad of accents and colloquialisms are hard for many people but I do get a kick out of that.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,851,498 times
I find it hard understanding some of the various Scottish accents, and I am Scottish! My dialect is Dundonian which is notoriously hard to understand, by anybody lol. Dundee has many dialect words unique to the area
Buster: chips and peas-a Dundee delicacy.
Cribby: a kerb.
Fleg: a fright.
Shorer: shower.
Ken: know.
Eh: yes.
Ana: aswell/also.
Ti: to.
Ev: I've.
Wir: were.

English: I've went to the butchers before and got a fright at the prices, so I turned around and walked back along the kerb.
Dundonian: Eh went ti the butchers afore ind got a fleg at the prices, so eh turned aroond and wacked back alang the cribby.

The list goes on and on!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:32 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Some of the Southern Irish ones are absolutely woeful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World