Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 01:22 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
With respect, I come from Scotland and am here to tell you that your present "doesn't really matter" perspective could get you killed in any one of the other three countries mentioned. There's nothing united about the United Kingdom. The memories of the Scottish, Welsh, and Irish people are long, and England is hated by all three for the atrocities committed against them over several centuries. And yes, I did say hated. It's just the way it is there. There's a similar 'war' simmering between Catholics and Protestants. Not pleasant, but there you have it.

FWIW,

Mahrie.
This is nonsense! The English are not 'hated' by the other 3 nations of the UK! Have you been watching too much of the Braveheart nonsense, there may be a few 'bigots' in all of the nations (and I suspect that you're one of them) but a VAST majority of Britons get along really rather well, I have a Scottish side to my family (like a high percentage of English people) and I've NEVER had a problem in all the times I've been to Scotland, in fact the wonderfully warm welcomes I've received have always been fabulous, I also have VERY close Scottish AND Irish (Southern AND Northern) friends. So there has been troubles in the (mainly) distant past but name me a region in the world where this hasn't been the case amongst neighbouring countries, apart from the (wonderful) sporting rivalry the UK is really rather at peace, you should try getting out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 05:17 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
A flip side to this, I see the regional identity of a Gulf State (GCC/ Arabian Gulf) being larger than the country. Or maybe it's the greater Muslim identity.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:11 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Regionalist identities (except in strongly separatist areas) seem to be flaunted around more within a home country itself, in front of other countrymen (and women). Once people move to a new country, then they seem to flaunt around more often a national identity.

Is a Texan going to identify as a Texan rather than an American if he immigrates, say to Sweden?
Yes, yes he probably would, and I'm not joking!

Old 04-15-2018, 08:44 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Tibet
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Provence
Quebec
Texas
California
Wallonia
Bavaria

Old 04-15-2018, 09:25 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Tibet
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Provence
Quebec
Texas
California
Wallonia
Bavaria
Provence?

Corsica yes, Provence, no lol

Old 04-15-2018, 05:25 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
When I was in apartheid South Africa, Vrystaaters (from the Orange Free State) thought of themselves as a nationality apart.

In Canada, aside from Quebecers, Newfoundlanders who go to Toronto or Alberta still say they are going to Canada. Newfoundlanders are a very distinct nationality in Canada, and cling together like immigrants when they resettle in Canada..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yes, yes he probably would, and I'm not joking!
When I travel overseas, I assume that everybody already recognizes me as an American, so when they ask where I'm from, I usually say Texas. Usually, the response is to point to an imaginary space next to their head and say "big hats, cowboy".

Old 04-16-2018, 09:27 PM

242 posts, read 262,852 times
Italy.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Tibet
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Provence
Quebec
Texas
California
Wallonia
Bavaria
Tibet and Hong Kong are not really the most "out of place" regions in China.
Xinjiang looks much more non-Chinese.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World