Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,753,564 times

Advertisements

In a lot of social circles in the Southern United States, a man who dresses well (in a conservative sense) is still considered manly, but in other parts of the US, this is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth4truth View Post
robert: Yes, chocolate is mostly marketed to women in the us
wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttt? I used to raid the chocolate stashes on some desks with candy dishes for general consumption, and they called me "Count Chocula." Then, what's better than a Rocky Road ice cream cone or cup? Who can resist Oreos and milk as a kid? We live in a crazy world. I swear, but Americans can be one uptight bunch.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-23-2012 at 09:48 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Personally, I'm male, straight, and American, and I love fine chocolate such as Ghiradelli
There are few things better than those dark chocolate Ghirardelli squares. At Borders Cafe, I would buy one or two of those, along with a cup of coffee.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
In a lot of social circles in the Southern United States, a man who dresses well (in a conservative sense) is still considered manly, but in other parts of the US, this is not the case.
Yeah, and in some social circles in the US, being well-educated is not considered manly, either.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Depends on which social circles. Upper class circles, it would be considered normal. Among working-class southerners, it is different.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:13 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,531,619 times
The US is a very big, very diverse country with many regional cultures and subcultures within those regions. Of course, some things are universal for natives of the US so you can say they are American customs things, but the fashionable clothing thing definitely differs regionally and especially urban vs rural. I've been to places where it was considered feminine to talk alot. This was a town in Western Canada where the men were generally quite sparing with their words and didn't converse too much unless they had something important to say. The people considered it feminine that I was a conversationalist, as generally only the women were talkative. Of course, it was the ladies who had to say it

Old 04-24-2012, 02:29 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,753,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Depends on which social circles. Upper class circles, it would be considered normal. Among working-class southerners, it is different.
True, but I grew up in a working-class Southern town, and a lot of guys still tried to dress preppy and nice (or at least what they thought was preppy & nice) These were the same guys that liked to hunt & fish, so there was no contradiction with dressing nice and being "manly"

Old 04-24-2012, 04:53 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,890 times
Musical Theatre productions flourish in places such as London's West End and New York's Broadway, whilst Opera and Ballet is very popular throughout the world.

The musical film genre might not be as popular as it once was, but there is still the occasional musical, indeed Johnny Depp's recent 'Sweeney Todd' was a musical, and musicals such as Oklahoma, West Side Story, Oliver, Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Half a Six Pence, My Fair Lady, The Wizard of Oz, Carousel, Chicago, Cabaret, Singing in the Rain, The King and I etc have all been made in to films over the years. I have also heard recently that Les Misérables is to be broght to to the screen, in a lavish film production and the musical Matilda (soon to be released on Broadway) has just won numerous accolades at the Olivier Awards.

AFI's Greatest Movie Musicals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of musical films by year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Laurence Olivier Awards

Les Misérables film to reunite original cast | Stage | guardian.co.uk

Tom Hanks to play Walt Disney in Saving Mr Banks | Film | guardian.co.uk

I also seem to recall the all American all Singing and Dancing film Grease being one of the highest grossing films ever, Footloose was also a mssive hit, as were shows like Fame, and there has been a wave of US High School Musical Films and series such as Glee, whilst everytime I turn the TV on Simon Cowell seems to be there with yet another talent or singing show.

So Musicals and Singing and Dancing shows are popular in a lot of parts of the world.

Bollywood does however make some amazing all singing and dancing movies.

Personally I am not a big fan of musicals but even I like films such as Grease.

I certainly don't think in modern enlightened times any one is seen as gay because they sing and dance.

In terms of Sport, Football (soccer) is seen as a masculine physical sport along with Rugby and the like, whilst sports that are seen as more feminine tend to be the likes of Hockey, Netball and Lacrosse.

As for chocolate it's appeal is universal.

Last edited by Mulhall; 04-24-2012 at 05:34 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,141,478 times
Just male companionship. In Turkey, men talk close and may even walk together arm in arm. And in general in Europe and Latin America, men can socialize together and show a level of intimacy in comfort.

Now in ever-homophobic America, you can't do these things unless you are really drunk. Especially after the age of about 22. How and why the US got so homophobic is another subject. Ironically it has made many men in relationships subserviant to their wives and girlfriends. Most married men I know call their wives 'boss.'

Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttt? I used to raid the chocolate stashes on some desks with candy dishes for general consumption, and they called me "Count Chocula." Then, what's better than a Rocky Road ice cream cone or cup? Who can resist Oreos and milk as a kid? We live in a crazy world. I swear, but Americans can be one uptight bunch.

Best part of IT support work is raiding the users sweets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World