Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU vs NA
European Union 91 46.67%
North America 104 53.33%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:11 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
But I live in the US.
A little Mediterranean town with perhaps too many visitors, but definitively part of the US.
Rather live in the US than in a European Reich.
Aha, that explains your misguided views about Europeans.

Quote:
You are either a German or a "European" from Kalamazoo.
Yes, because the rest of Europe absolutely hates being European It's amazing how ignorant and prejudiced people can be. And no, I'm neither German nor a "European" from Kalamazoo. I'm a Dutch student of European Studies who hopes to work for the European Union soon, along with my fellow students/friends who come from all over Europe. You must be shocked, huh? We abandoned that mindset of yours in the 1940s already. Please stay on your side of the ocean and keep dreaming of that next Franco-German war that will never happen

Old 05-29-2012, 11:26 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
If I could create my ideal "country" and cherrypick what to take among the EU and US, here's what I would take from each:

Cities - EU
Weather - US (California), otherwise EU
People - EU
Sports - US
Economy - US
Scenery - US
Education - US
Nightlife - EU
Other - Transportation: EU
- Work Hours, Vacations, etc.: EU

Last edited by ragnarkar; 05-29-2012 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 PM

370 posts, read 654,537 times
Cities -EU
Weather -EU depends which part
People - NA
Sports - I don't like sports
Economy - NA
Scenery - EU
Education -EU
Nightlife - EU

Old 05-30-2012, 03:45 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Overall, I like living in Europe better, just not Italy (where I currently live). In North America, there are only a handful of US and Canadian cities I could tolerate living in. Europe has better cities, with better public transportation and much lower crime rates. The women are more attractive because they dress nicer and take better care of themselves. I'm also more of soccer fan than football.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:18 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Aha, that explains your misguided views about Europeans.

Yes, because the rest of Europe absolutely hates being European It's amazing how ignorant and prejudiced people can be. And no, I'm neither German nor a "European" from Kalamazoo. I'm a Dutch student of European Studies who hopes to work for the European Union soon, along with my fellow students/friends who come from all over Europe. You must be shocked, huh? We abandoned that mindset of yours in the 1940s already. Please stay on your side of the ocean and keep dreaming of that next Franco-German war that will never happen

Of course, you are defending all that Pan-Europeism because in the next future you will be one of the millions of civil servants that overburden the EEC. Public servants that are not needed. Just another liability for the private sector.

I'm living in the same coast we have been living during the last 2500 years, since the times Frisians were doing it behind a tree. Of course, you don't have that midset because your future source of income will be my taxes.

Last edited by Cocoricoco; 05-30-2012 at 04:27 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 04:22 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Overall, I like living in Europe better, just not Italy (where I currently live). In North America, there are only a handful of US and Canadian cities I could tolerate living in. Europe has better cities, with better public transportation and much lower crime rates. The women are more attractive because they dress nicer and take better care of themselves. I'm also more of soccer fan than football.

Western Europe is nicer, no doubt. Western Europe is a protected garden that does not pay for their defense. I hope it continues that way. If the EU the defense of interests to national armies, it will cease to exist. Take a look at what happened when Argentina confiscated YPF, nothing happened in the EEC. The US would have sent their ships or would have imposed a blockade. No change since Munich.

Last edited by Cocoricoco; 05-30-2012 at 04:32 AM..

Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM

92 posts, read 159,433 times
Quote:
PIIGS countries are the livable and CIVILIZED portion of the continent. The part of the continent where 70 percent of English and Germans would like to live. The part of the continent that they have been trying to invade during the last 2500 years (I hope they stay beyond the Rhine).

For me, the most atrocious country in this continent, if they can be called part of the continent, is the country where the word PIIGS was coined. I would not let the stray cat that wanders and basks in the sun in my garden live in that hellish and rainy hole.
Ireland??

Old 05-31-2012, 12:17 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
If I could create my ideal "country" and cherrypick what to take among the EU and US, here's what I would take from each:

Cities - EU
Weather - US (California), otherwise EU
People - EU
Sports - US
Economy - US
Scenery - US
Education - US
Nightlife - EU
Other - Transportation: EU
- Work Hours, Vacations, etc.: EU
Actually the Mediterranean coast has a similar climate to California, hence the name Mediterranean Climate. Sports, I would like a combo of both (just wish soccer was bigger in the US). Scenery, also a combo of both (imagine a mix of the Rockies and Alps).

Old 05-31-2012, 02:07 PM

679 posts, read 661,003 times
Quote:
Western Europe is nicer, no doubt. Western Europe is a protected garden that does not pay for their defense. I hope it continues that way. If the EU the defense of interests to national armies, it will cease to exist. Take a look at what happened when Argentina confiscated YPF, nothing happened in the EEC. The US would have sent their ships or would have imposed a blockade. No change since Munich.
Well this was an ignorant post if I have ever seen one...

Where was the blockade in Venezuela if the USA were to do such an action?

Imposing a blockade is defined under the UN Charter as an Act of war. Civilized people tend to look into solving problems diplomatically and Argentina is suffering just that. Look into the news about the G20.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Well this was an ignorant post if I have ever seen one...

Where was the blockade in Venezuela if the USA were to do such an action?

Imposing a blockade is defined under the UN Charter as an Act of war. Civilized people tend to look into solving problems diplomatically and Argentina is suffering just that. Look into the news about the G20.
Excellent post. I hate it when I hear people here in the US talking about how Europe gets away with spending money on this or that because the US is the one who pays for and provides the security over there. That is such BS, those people blabber about that because the reality is that the US wastes unimagineable amounts of money on military spending to keep ahold of our military world empire while we have roads and bridges here we can't afford to fix, are making cuts in education because we are broke, and are looking to cut funding for already under-funded programs for the poor because again, we say we can't afford it. Western Europe has its priorities in place and spends money on what is truly IMPORTANT, we really should be looking across the pond for ideas on better ways to manage our spending and take care of our people/country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World