Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 10:46 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I do not think that Americans transplant well, and I would not advise most Americans to try it.
It's certainly a big adjustment but most American expats I know eventually get pretty comfortable in their new country. The only thing I really dislike about England is the weather and not being near my family/friends in the US (the latter of which isn't really England's fault).

I've actually gotten so integrated here that I forget I still sound different to everyone else.... until I see the look in people's eyes when I speak to them for the first time. It's that slightly bewildered look and pause before they respond while I'm thinking "What's your problem? Am I not speaking English?" and then I remember they probably just weren't expecting my accent. Sometimes, when people ask where I'm from, I think "Oh yeah, I'm not from around here..." LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 11:12 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
I am an American who made a conscious decision to get out of the US and live in Germany. I did so for 5 years and loved it. But for various reasons, it was financially prudent to return to the States to make a career for myself, which I did. I never missed the US when I was in Germany and dreaded coming back.

However, my standard of living is far higher in California than I could ever have in Germany. I live in a nice, large house with a great view, have 3 cars and have discretionary income. The home I have in California would be the equivalent of 2.5 million bucks in Germany.

So I prefer the lifestyle and "ways" of Switzerland, Germany and Austria to America, hands down. But I live better in America, so this is where I will stay. I do visit Europe every summer though and love it!

Old 05-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
I have to say that I really admire poeple who have lived in the U.S. for all their lives or part of their lives or others who have moved to the U.S. to move back to another country. I wished I wasn't so scared to do so. I am a Irish and US citizen and my husband is from Ireland and we would like to move to another country but get scared for silly reasons to be honest. Part of me just sasy go for it and the other part says the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Can anyone comment about their feelings with just getting up and moving and loving or regretting it? I would love to hear from you.

Jenn
I say go for it if you have the opportunity to move to a different country, and have desire to experience moving to a new place. It can be a worthwhile experience. What are you afraid about in particular that makes you hesitant and indecisive about moving to another country?

I enjoy the USA while enjoying plenty of other countries and places too. I always try to look for the best, most interesting, and exciting stuff in places and that allows me to enjoy plenty of different places. There are plenty of Americans that are still similar as me with this in perception of places and world outlook, and that is good.

Although there are some Americans that are overly limited, overly competitive that reaches destructive levels, and ignorant in perceptions of places and world outlook.

I would still say more Americans have perception similar to me for these related topics instead of the more negative types of perception.

It can be a rewarding fun experience for living in and visiting different places such as a new country. It is bad and unnecessary when people close themselves away too much from other places and that can get very uninspiring, and boring.

These are the top 30 countries that I am confident I would enjoy living in other than visiting: France, UK/England, Canada, China, Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Spain, Singapore, South Korea, India, Vietnam, Norway, Australia, Iceland, Austria, Belgium, Romania, Georgia, Russia, Argentina, Chile, and Czech Republic.

After those 30, there are 25 to 40 more countries I am much more undecided about in terms of living in, but think I could enjoy too. However, I am least confident I would like visiting those 25 to 40 other countries.

Last edited by ; 05-27-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 02:51 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,859 times
Mossy....There's a lot to this question and it's difficult to answer your question to move or not to move. I'm 33 yrs old and have lived in Asia for the last 12 years. I made the jump right out of college because I had a strong interest in China's culture, language, history and people. It was the best move I ever made. I've met so many different people with different backgrounds, I've learned a second language, I met my Chinese wife over here and made a good amount of money given the tax breaks American expats receive plus the low cost of living. Mossy, since your married (maybe you have a child too, I forgot) you need to consider a number of things. First off, what would you do for employment? Your husband could work and you could stay at home or perhaps teach English or find something to do. Moving to Asia is one thing, but to Europe, things will certainly be more expensive then in the U.S. Plus, you would be far away from your family and friends, which is tough. living in the U.S. at times is boring, and I know. Every time I visit my family in New Jersey for Xmas or summer vacation I can't wait to fly back home to China. However, I'm not in my 20's anymore, and I'm already married and if we do start a family, the U.S. is looking pretty good for me and my wife. Its inexpensive (compared to Europe and many other developed countried), family and friends are there, good restaurants and employment options. Mossy, if you and your husband really wanted to try to move, why not do it for one or two years and see how you like it. Maybe your husband could get a 2 year contract or something. I would say try it, and if it doesn't work out, you could always move back to the U.S. The worst thing you could do is not try it, and then regret it for the rest of your life. I wouldn't sell everything and buy a place in Europe, but maybe first try it out and go from there. Best of luck!!

Old 05-29-2012, 03:49 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
No, not necessarily. I think a move to Europe somewhere. My husband had many chances in the last 11 years to go to Netherlands, Ireland, Scotland, France and we just didn't take advantage because of me. We have it pretty nice in the US and looking back I wished we did take a chance.
might be just as well , the economy is pretty terrible here right now unless you work in an export based company

Old 05-29-2012, 08:18 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
I don't mind moving to Thailand or Japan since I do hope to move out of the country some day. I went to Thailand for a month and didn't enjoy it at first, but now I wish I wasn't too homesick that I enjoy it. I enjoy the simplicity of living in a small place.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:50 AM

370 posts, read 654,428 times
When you leave your country for a new country you are leaving one set of problems for a new set of problems. .
I am sponteanous by nature so I just go for it. But I don't have kids so maybe that is the reason why I just went to live in Italy for five years. I Loved it. But their bureacracy system is a nightmare. I did miss how efficiecent things worked in the U.S. But other than that I loved my time in Italy. I moved to back to America because my partner got a job here. We plan on living in Canada or London someday. If I was single I would move back to Italy because I can speak the language but my poor bf only speaks English and doesn't care to learn Italian or any language. But I am in love so that is what happens when a girl loves a man, she follows him .

Old 05-29-2012, 12:37 PM

122 posts, read 185,529 times
Mossy ,we left 3 1/2 yrs ago and have had highs and lows for sure.Diet , social issues , language etc have had to be dealt with and we are actually coming back for awhile to take care of some family things and I;m sort of dreading the return now ,go figure and after we finally became legal residents

Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
I would love to have a vacation home in another country. I could then spend time in the U.S. and another country. That would be ideal. I would certainly become fluent in that country's language before doing that.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,252 times
My dream is to do exactly that, pack up and move to Ireland. My husband isn't quite so keen on the idea, though - he, too, is attached to his family here in the US. The only real barriers are getting a job and paying down debt so I can take a lower paying job. Someday I'll get up the cajones and do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World