Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:51 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,590,259 times

Advertisements

I have a good friend who is originally from Uganda. She has been here in Canada for 16 years now. She is BLACK, very black. On top of that she is a single mother of three kids which sometimes leads to discrimination. When I asked her how orten has she ever felt discriminated against since living in Canada she replied, "Once". Now that in it's self is pretty unbelievabl but the incident she was referring to ws this. She felt that a pro at yniversity was iving her bad grades because she was black. She went to the University admin about it and she won her case. She got her marks and the prof got into hot water. We live in Niagara Falls On and it's one of the least diverse regions in southern Ontario but when I ask the visable minorities if they feel welcome here it's always, "For sure, ya, no problems etc." We just don't seem to negitively care about where you are fromhow different you look and all that. In fact I think we celebrate all these ethnics because of the GREAT food they bring ith them. A few weeks ago an Afghan place opened up and I went in right away. AH, those people sure know how to cook a lamb I'll tell you.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:52 PM

175 posts, read 274,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I have a good friend who is originally from Uganda. She has been here in Canada for 16 years now. She is BLACK, very black. On top of that she is a single mother of three kids which sometimes leads to discrimination. When I asked her how orten has she ever felt discriminated against since living in Canada she replied, "Once". Now that in it's self is pretty unbelievabl but the incident she was referring to ws this. She felt that a pro at yniversity was iving her bad grades because she was black. She went to the University admin about it and she won her case. She got her marks and the prof got into hot water. We live in Niagara Falls On and it's one of the least diverse regions in southern Ontario but when I ask the visable minorities if they feel welcome here it's always, "For sure, ya, no problems etc." We just don't seem to negitively care about where you are fromhow different you look and all that. In fact I think we celebrate all these ethnics because of the GREAT food they bring ith them. A few weeks ago an Afghan place opened up and I went in right away. AH, those people sure know how to cook a lamb I'll tell you.
I've heard canadians have a live or let live attitude. It;s one I really like as well.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:02 PM

98 posts, read 276,583 times
Get away from racism? North Pole. Deep in the Amazon Jungle. Some small island in the Pacific. Racism is pretty much a part of human behavior along with with anger, sadness etc. We all have it to some degree. Well, maybe not Mother Teresa.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:13 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,832,349 times
It's not about race anymore. It's worse..If you are a good intelligent person and it shows - there is a human trend taking place where you will be hated by the average person..Intelligence is becoming more and more rare...Persecution is increasing...I amas white as they get and I seek the same peace and security...I don't know what to tell you- find a little corner where you can eek out a living...stay low key - surround yourself with good folks and let the world go to hell- They are all going there anyway and some insist on dragging you down with them...Race is just an excuse..to persecute...These jerks don't care about your color...They will give you a hard time regardless.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:42 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,538,961 times
You should go to this place :

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post

Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,123,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
You will experience less racism and colorism in countries with predominately dark skinned Black people. Countries, not cities or towns or neighborhoods in the U.S. Countries in Africa and the Caribbean are places like this. There are still problems with this in those places. The whole skin bleaching thing speaks to this. Still, dark skin is the common feature of the majority in those countries. The key word is majority. Being a dark skinned Black person in a country where most of the people in that country are dark skinned is very different from being a dark skinned Black person in a country where most of the people in that country are White and pale skinned. The only African Americans that give others a problem with dark skin are themselves ashamed of their own skin color. You will instantly know how a person feels about themselves by the way they treat others that share similar traits.
I'd like to move to a country in Africa then. I am tired of the colorism and being treated like crap

Old 08-13-2012, 12:22 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,681,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I'd like to move to a country in Africa then. I am tired of the colorism and being treated like crap
There are other "isms" all over Africa that are worse. Take sexism for example. As racist as the USA is, there really isn't anywhere that is utopia for blacks. Canada has racism as well.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:41 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times
I was going to suggest Jamaica but I saw a documentary about skin bleaching even there.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:13 AM

27,627 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Better get ready to live in a poor, developing country then. It's a different experience than living in the United States, I assure you.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,123,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was going to suggest Jamaica but I saw a documentary about skin bleaching even there.
That's fine. skin bleaching happens in the USA too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World