Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,199,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I am perfectly aware that the Soviet Union no longer exists, but a certain other Russian poster here seems to think otherwise...

Here is the list of countries whose citizens don't need a visa to enter the U.S. as tourists:

Andorra
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brunei
Canada
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Monaco
the Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Portugal
San Marino
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
United Kingdom

Leaving out the four micro-states on the list, that's 35 rich, First World countries whose citizens can come to the U.S. without a visa.

Now let's take a look at Russia's visa-free list for ordinary (non-diplomatic) passport holders:

Argentina
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Croatia
Cuba
Ecuador
Guatemala
Israel
Kazakstan
Kyrgyzstan
Macedonia
Moldova
Montenegro
Nicaragua
Peru
Serbia
Tajikistan
Thailand
Turkey
Ukraine
Uruguay
Uzbekistan
Venezuela

That's 28 countries, only ONE of which can reasonably be described as a rich First World country. (I didn't include the two fake countries that Russia recognizes but that no one else does.)

Now which group do you think represents the more desirable (and lucrative) source of tourism?
The US list is full of 1st-world countries because the US requires people to have a certain economic status in order to get in. I have difficulty believing that anyone from Taiwan, Brunei, or Czech Republic would be able to enter the US visa-free. Must be due to defense treaties with Taiwan and Brunei...? The Russia list is interesting; it looks like a combination of USSR-era client states, and post-Soviet spin-off states. Hmm...notice that the Baltic States aren't listed.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-25-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,144,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The US list is full of 1st-world countries because the US requires people to have a certain economic status in order to get in. I have difficulty believing that anyone from Taiwan, Brunei, or Czech Republic would be able to enter the US visa-free. Must be due to defense treaties with Taiwan and Brunei...? The Russia list is interesting; it looks like a combination of USSR-era client states, and post-Soviet spin-off states. Hmm...notice that the Baltic States aren't listed.
[Mod cut: you can discuss the entry visa to the US in a separate thread. This is about travel to Russia]

There are no EU countries on the Russia list, hence no Baltic States. I assume Croatia will drop out of the list as it joins the EU.

Last edited by elnina; 12-01-2012 at 09:57 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,478,673 times
Anyway, getting back on topic: I know that Russia is a beautiful country with incredible scenery and countless historical treasures.

But so are many other places that don't require a visa -- tourists can just show up at the airport or border and be welcomed into those countries with very little fuss. Amazing concept, isn't it?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:57 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,478,673 times
On the other hand, Russia does have the world's biggest trampoline, so that's something.

A 170-Foot Trampoline Installed in a Russian Forest | Colossal

Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,784,262 times
Was just reading an article about this winter's first major snowfalls across Europe, there was one funny pic of Moscow, seems one of those Mafiosi forgot to put winter tires on his sports car

http://cdn2.spiegel.de/images/image-...eryV9-bdfe.jpg

Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 AM

26,832 posts, read 22,632,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Was just reading an article about this winter's first major snowfalls across Europe, there was one funny pic of Moscow, seems one of those Mafiosi forgot to put winter tires on his sports car

Neuling you'll stop laughing together with your "Der Spiegel" after you'll read this -

Russia Threatens EU With 'Retaliation' If No Visa Deal by 2014 | News | The Moscow Times

"The Foreign Ministry on Tuesday threatened the European Union with "retaliation" if visa-free travel is not introduced in time for the Sochi Olympics in February 2014...

"That agreement, which would introduce long-term, multiple-entry visas for visiting businessmen, journalists and NGO workers, has been up in the air due to a spat over so-called service passport holders.

Moscow says it wants to include visa-free travel for holders of these non-diplomatic passports, which include a wide range of government officials. EU negotiators have refused to do so, citing security concerns and the fact that many of the bloc's member states do not possess such a passport category."

Yep.
(So what do you think about those "winter tires" now? )

Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,784,262 times
I don't quite get the connection
I don't care who can travel from or to Russia and how. I will never go there, that's for sure.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 AM

26,832 posts, read 22,632,946 times
Quote:
I don't quite get the connection
I don't care who can travel from or to Russia and how. I will never go there, that's for sure.

You are talking about "mafiosi" in Moscow, and so do I, but put in the "traveling" context...

Old 12-01-2012, 06:00 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,627,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I think BIMBAM's comment is spot on -- it's not "difficult", but it's not as easy as many other places where you basically have _nothing_ to do to visit. As a Canadian citizen, Russia, Belarus and Macedonia are the only 3 European countries for which I need a tourist visa. I'm sure that's a deterrent for some people.
Yes I agree with you!...

Old 12-01-2012, 06:13 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,627,470 times
Quote:

Why did you decide that it is mafia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World