Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 AM

881 posts, read 2,093,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggo View Post
you are right, but the usa acts like an empire.
:d:d:d

Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I cringe at the thought of the kids in the US doing this every single morning they are in school

I had to do it as well....welcome to the world of conditioning...it happens all across the globe unfortunately.
Not really, most (or rather all?) other developed countries do not need to make children "pray" to their country every morning.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:26 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
So is the US a great and beautiful country. Seems though that when Americans express that they are villified. Other nations, not so much.

Oh and you don't think if they had the population and power they wouldn't do everything to advance their national interest?
But it's only Americans that claim the USA is the greatest country in the world as an irrefutable fact, not opinion. No other country does that. Arrogant.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,679,388 times
I believe many people see us as arrogant, self-centered, and spoiled.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 AM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Of course it is well documented. What I meant by "pass" is that I don't see or hear Germany, or the German people, being villified today over what happened then. Why are Americans bashed about what happened in Iran years ago? Or other events of the past century? That is what I meant.
Because Germany's past in this respect does not affect today's situation, where the actions of Americans ( their involvement in the internal affairs of other countries) do. Even when it comes to Iran, their support of Shah and what happened in many ways because of it.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 AM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I may be being a bit over pedantic but the USA is not an Empire, it is just an extremely large country the size of a continent! For a nation to have an 'Empire' it has to govern foreign countries.
It does. Financially. ( The times are different, you don't need tanks any longer to "govern foreign countries," really..)

Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
But it's only Americans that claim the USA is the greatest country in the world as an irrefutable fact, not opinion. No other country does that. Arrogant.

I have to be honest and say that at least where I live you rarely ever hear "greatest". I know there are certain elements of our society that do engage in that arrogant behaviour.

People around hear will say the US is beautiful and great, but certainly not the greatest. At least not the younger generations. I think some of the WWII generation folks spoke like that during the War.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 AM

881 posts, read 2,093,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It does. Financially. ( The times are different, you don't need tanks any longer to "govern foreign countries," really..)
Sure. Those bankers marching thru downtown Frankfurt were quite the sight...

Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM

110 posts, read 281,198 times
I know some extremist Japanese who hates USA for forcing Japan to open up and participate in global trade.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:56 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I think it's because the German government now is radically different from the German government of WW1 & WW2 so most people make that distinction in their mind, whereas the American goverment now still continues the same kind of domineering foreign policy as it did years ago so not much has changed. Look at what's happening today with Palestine in the UN for example. The US has threatened to punish the Palestinian Authority financially for seeking enhanced status at the UN, even though it's doing absolutely nothing illegally.

Btw, you'd be surprised how often Germans are still called "nazis" to this day.
Yes, it's always convenient to reprimand U.S. foreign policy with total disregard for European complicity, isn't that right, Linda? (Do I sense some adamant denial coming my way?)

As for U.S. relations with the Palestinians, it certainly is amazing that this domineering hyper-power called the United States can't even set its own Middle Eastern foreign policy without the approval of a foreign lobbying entity, but that fact, of course, isn't usually compatible with anyone's preferred storyboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World