Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Excuse me????? I wasn't ridiculing anyone for anything. I simply pointed out some figures, and said I wouldn't support it, but they were welcome to. The fact that you think I was ridiculing the British probably says more about you, and what you really think of the monarchy than it does about me.

And I'm sorry, but you cannot compare the expenses created by the American president to the Royal Family. Let's talk about the expenses created by the Prime Minister, and then you'll be talking on an even par.

And I grasp everyone's statements just fine, so you can lose the insults right now. They're very unnecessary. And show me where I said anything was WRONG???? Was it the brainwash statement? Please. That was just an attempt to mock (somewhat) the brainwashing statement that was flung at Americans, in the post to which I was responding.

Look, I don't care if the British want to spend billions of dollars on anything (I can't even write some stupid thing down ... or you'll be getting your knickers in a knot and say I'm insulting the British). All I said .... and please, can you try and read my words and understand them clearly ... was that I (get that ... I ... like me, personally ... you do what you want) would not support it. I'm allowed not to approve of everything, you know.
You may not have said anything was WRONG but thats exactly how drknoble put it, it was his post that I was replying to. If the British would prefer to keep the Queen then it really is neither right or wrong, but it is what we want, you could argue about the cost of keeping them and I could argue back about the amount of money they 'make' for the country. The English royal family are 'mobbed' wherever they go in the world, I think that its not just the British that have a fascination for them? The royal family has not actually 'ruled' the country for a very long time, a process that started with the Magna Cartar, the country democratically elects its government, it is the democratically elected government that 'runs' the UK.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You may not have said anything was WRONG but thats exactly how drknoble put it, it was his post that I was replying to. If the British would prefer to keep the Queen then it really is neither right or wrong, but it is what we want, you could argue about the cost of keeping them and I could argue back about the amount of money they 'make' for the country. The English royal family are 'mobbed' wherever they go in the world, I think that its not just the British that have a fascination for them? The royal family has not actually 'ruled' the country for a very long time, a process that started with the Magna Cartar, the country democratically elects its government, it is the democratically elected government that 'runs' the UK.
I'm not sure where you came from ... I haven't responded to any of your posts. So why you'd bring up anything you had to say, I'm not sure.

Keep your royal family. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT. I just wouldn't want it.

And thank you for the history lesson, but I do know how the British government works. And who and what runs things.

Is that okay with you, or are you going to lambaste me for something someone else said, now, too?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 AM

868 posts, read 1,122,467 times
Quote:
Excuse me????? I wasn't ridiculing anyone for anything. I simply pointed out some figures, and said I wouldn't support it, but they were welcome to. The fact that you think I was ridiculing the British probably says more about you, and what you really think of the monarchy than it does about me.

And I'm sorry, but you cannot compare the expenses created by the American president to the Royal Family. Let's talk about the expenses created by the Prime Minister, and then you'll be talking on an even par.

And I grasp everyone's statements just fine, so you can lose the insults right now. They're very unnecessary. And show me where I said anything was WRONG???? Was it the brainwash statement? Please. That was just an attempt to mock (somewhat) the brainwashing statement that was flung at Americans, in the post to which I was responding.

Look, I don't care if the British want to spend billions of dollars on anything (I can't even write some stupid thing down ... or you'll be getting your knickers in a knot and say I'm insulting the British). All I said .... and please, can you try and read my words and understand them clearly ... was that I (get that ... I ... like me, personally ... you do what you want) would not support it. I'm allowed not to approve of everything, you know.
Billions of dollars?

Seems like you're the one whose knickers are in a twist. My post wasn't solely directed at you.

You're free to disagree with something, but "approve"? Who the heck are to feel the need to approve of something in a foreign country that's none of your business or concern?

I suggest you worry more about more pressing issues in your own country that is also far from perfect. Foreign monarchies that are purely ceremonial should be one of the least of your concerns.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
I'm not sure where you came from ... I haven't responded to any of your posts. So why you'd bring up anything you had to say, I'm not sure.

Keep your royal family. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT. I just wouldn't want it.

And thank you for the history lesson, but I do know how the British government works. And who and what runs things.

Is that okay with you, or are you going to lambaste me for something someone else said, now, too?
Easy tiger! Erm...yes you did (see post 748), I know YOU dont have a problem with it, like I said in my previous post was a response to drknoble, who catagorically stated that having a royal family is WRONG.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 AM

868 posts, read 1,122,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Easy tiger! Erm...yes you did (see post 748), I know YOU dont have a problem with it, like I said in my previous post was a response to drknoble, who catagorically stated that having a royal family is WRONG.
Owned.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
People the world over will always hate whatever "superpower" or "superpowers" are in control of most of the money/trade/military power at the time.

Two hundred years ago, people the world over hated the British. Prior to that, they hated the French, the Italians, the Romans, the Greeks, you name it.

Next most hated nation will probably be China.

And so the world turns.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Default We need to shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
I checked past threads to see if this has been done before, which I don't think it has. Anyway, the title explains it all.

Is it because of American tv (which portrays us in the worst light possible, and most of it is not real anyway)?
Because we are a superpower?
Is it because of the "American ignorance"?

Please feel free to answer my question
OP asked a question on why America is hated. Then when people of other countries express their opinion, AMERICANS jump in and criticize their views. THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS THAT WE ARE HATED OR DISLIKED!!! Then we spend further time on a THIS thread, criticizing their country--start one on Why Americans Hate <_______________> and fill it in with whatever nation you want to bash.

The U.S. is so full of its own problems that we can't solve, our Congress is at such loggerheads because all of us are, that we have no moral ground on which to criticize other nations for how they run their countries or what their cultural beliefs are or anything else. Politically, I believe most of the European nations are running like well-oiled machines compared to Washington, D.C.

If you want to straighten out the views of the citizens of other nations about the U.S., let's spend some time straightening out the godawful mess WE are in.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 PM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
OP asked a question on why America is hated. Then when people of other countries express their opinion, AMERICANS jump in and criticize their views. THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS THAT WE ARE HATED OR DISLIKED!!!
Given that this is a public discussion forum open to anyone in the world with a C-D account, why wouldn't you expect people to challenge the views and opinions that are expressed here?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
OP asked a question on why America is hated. Then when people of other countries express their opinion, AMERICANS jump in and criticize their views. THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS THAT WE ARE HATED OR DISLIKED!!! Then we spend further time on a THIS thread, criticizing their country--start one on Why Americans Hate <_______________> and fill it in with whatever nation you want to bash.

The U.S. is so full of its own problems that we can't solve, our Congress is at such loggerheads because all of us are, that we have no moral ground on which to criticize other nations for how they run their countries or what their cultural beliefs are or anything else. Politically, I believe most of the European nations are running like well-oiled machines compared to Washington, D.C.

If you want to straighten out the views of the citizens of other nations about the U.S., let's spend some time straightening out the godawful mess WE are in.
I've come to the conclussion that it's just you they don't like.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:28 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,974,015 times
Quote:
OP asked a question on why America is hated. Then when people of other countries express their opinion, AMERICANS jump in and criticize their views. THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS THAT WE ARE HATED OR DISLIKED!!!
A lot of people just like to hate on us, we have every right to defend home. It's a place near & dear to us.

America has a lot of strengths & weaknesses, it's a great place if you could position yourself to benefit from the opportunities abundant here. It's not for everyone though- and that's cool too. Lots of other amazing places out there in the world- no need to feel bad.

I used to have a hella lot more American pride, I wasn't born in this country- I was born in Singapore but have lived in the United States for nearly all my life. Never took it for granted & never will.

Overall though, my American pride has died- I don't see as much significance in countries anymore. I see a lot more interesting things in cities & conurbations- from around the world, they're making the grip of country's obsolete day by day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World