Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 02:35 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,702 times

Advertisements

I'm not very familiar with the affairs in the Middle East but it seems like of all the countries, UAE is the more 'stable' country. I'm a frequent shopper online and I always happen to come across sites from the UK and one thing I've noticed on most of these foreign sites is that they have stores in the UAE - not the US.

We have Shake Shack here and one of the 2 international locations is UAE. I know Dubai is supposed to be (or is) this world-class resort but I don't hear much of people talking about going there. It's more like going to China or Europe and South America.

Is Dubai a city full of wealthy people (macroeconomically) and a east target to market ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Define *world-class* first.
Or better, what do *you* think *world-class* means ?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Define *world-class* first.
Or better, what do *you* think *world-class* means ?
Fancy, strong economy, lot of rich people, resort (pretty much is), advanced. Pretty much everything along those.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Fancy, strong economy, lot of rich people, resort (pretty much is), advanced. Pretty much everything along those.
Pray-tell me how any Islamic society can be "advanced"?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Would a country where about 50% of it's population are essentially indentured workers who can't actually own any property count towards your definition?

Don't let the fancy facade of the UAE fool you. There is a very dark underbelly to that nation and if the oil economy ever sinks the country is pretty much doomed.

Quote:
Dubai’s building boom has been made possible by some 500,000 migrant construction workers, most from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Many work 12 hours a day, six days a week, in extremely hot temperatures that have led to illness and, in some cases, death. The workers live in crowded camps, with eight or more men sharing one small room.
Quote:
There is no minimum wage in Dubai, and some workers make as little as $8 a day.
Dark Side of Dubai’s Boomtown - ABC News

Quote:
As soon as he arrived at Dubai airport, his passport was taken from him by his construction company. He has not seen it since. He was told brusquely that from now on he would be working 14-hour days in the desert heat – where western tourists are advised not to stay outside for even five minutes in summer, when it hits 55 degrees – for 500 dirhams a month (£90), less than a quarter of the wage he was promised. If you don't like it, the company told him, go home. "But how can I go home? You have my passport, and I have no money for the ticket," he said. "Well, then you'd better get to work," they replied.

The dark side of Dubai - Johann Hari - Commentators - The Independent

Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Pray-tell me how any Islamic society can be "advanced"?

What? Plenty are 'advanced'. The UAE has become a global business center, has incredible infrastructure, great educational facilities and healthcare for its residents, in fact, Harvard have set up a facility in Dubai with the goal of providing the best healthcare anywhere in the world.

How do you think it's not 'advanced'?

To answer the OP: the answer is hell yes.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:45 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
What? Plenty are 'advanced'. The UAE has become a global business center, has incredible infrastructure, great educational facilities and healthcare for its residents, in fact, Harvard have set up a facility in Dubai with the goal of providing the best healthcare anywhere in the world.

How do you think it's not 'advanced'?

To answer the OP: the answer is hell yes.
Re-read the post above mine, and think about my question. Again.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Dubai is a Alpha+ world city, which is on level with Chicago, Hong Kong and Paris.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
80% of Dubai residents are foreigners, many of whom are poor labourers. It has a glitzy exterior, but fundamentally it is nothing like the true first world countries. The closest I can compare it is to Singapore, but Singapore is a true first world country (notwithstanding a few things) with a more solid economy. I wouldn't consider the UAE a 'world class country' at the moment, it's too early to say. Once the oil runs out, of course, who knows what it's fate will be.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Dubai is a Alpha+ world city, which is on level with Chicago, Hong Kong and Paris.
Give me those other 3 any day. For history, culture, class, soul, Paris, Chicago and HK have it, but Dubai is just a young upstart. A couple of decades ago it was a small village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World