Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Pantomime! Never even heard of this until I came to the UK but I love the crowd interaction: Pantomime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Christmas cracker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Christmas pudding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - though I don't really like the Christmas pudding, it's a big part of Christmas here in the UK. Neither are very popular in the US.
Right on - my daughter lives in Harrogate, England and this is their first Christmas there. She and her family went to a pantomime the other day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
On this day the Three Kings' cake is baked."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hdEIaltWO7...ake.3kings.jpg
In which area of Germany have you seen this cake? It must be regional.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
They are not christmas, they go all year.
In England you only get pantos around Christmas. It was always great fun for our children. And a great way of introducing them to theatre. English theatre is generally funnier than here in Germany.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:54 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, I've just listed several already (Christmas crackers, Christmas pudding, pantos, turkey and stuffing). Granted, I can't say it's the same in N.I., I can only speak for what I've experienced in England. I could list more but you seem determined to be cynical about this so I doubt anything I say will change that.
Are you telling me that they don't have christmas pudding or Crackers in the USA?

Yea right, i've watched Mickey Mouse when I was young and they had pudding for christmas.
Perhaps you are comparing the UK and Europe.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:54 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
Australia

Christmas is during summer and we tend to spend most of it outside, eating alot of seafood and barbecued meat. Though we still have things, like roast turkey and christmas pudding.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 AM

There are many different traditions in Germany. Germans celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, not the whole day though. It starts in the afternoon, usually when it's already dark. Some families teach their children about Father Christmas/Weihnachtsmann and others about the Christkind (basically baby Jesus), wo would also be responsible for presents. The Christkind seems to lose importance though, also thanks to the influence of Hollywood movies.

Christmas day and the 2nd Christmas day (also called Stephanstag by some), are spent celebrating, resting, eating Christmas cookies, visiting family.

There is no common Christmas food throughout Germany. The region were I amfrom usually eats Schäufele (bottom picture) and potato salad on Christmas Eve, and whatever they like for the next two days.

Last edited by Geggo; 12-01-2012 at 11:01 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 11:48 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Well, the way it's in Poland:
for Christmas is the house spotless clean with window washing and such. They say that if a house is dirty on Christmas Eve, it will be dirty all next year.
Since theoretically 99% of Poles are Catholics ( well, not really but about 99% observe the Christmas traditions ) no meat will be eaten on the Christmas Eve. However many people will prepare an odd number of meatless dishes ( depends of the budget or size of the family it could be 7, 9 or 11) - varied salads, mushrooms, fish in aspic, herring few different ways, meatless cabbage rolls, pierogi, noodle dishes etc. There are many traditional dishes that are served on this occasion, and rarely at any other time of the year.

The Christmas tree is decorated in the afternoon, gifts wrapped and placed under the tree. The Christmas tree is adorned with apples, oranges, candies and small chocolates wrapped in colorful paper, nuts wrapped in aluminum foil, hand-blown glass ornaments, candles or lights, thin strips of clear paper (angel's hair), and home-made paper chains.
BTW: Christmas and Santa Claus Day are not celebrated at the same time in Poland, but rather three weeks apart.

If there are kids, they will have to look out for the first star, then the Dinner can begin. Everyone is dressed nicely. People listen to Christmas carols and pastorals. Some sing, especially after few vodkas
The celebration starts with the breaking Oplatek, (a thin wafer).
The eldest member of the family reaches for the wafer and each family member breaks a small part from each other's piece. They wish one another a long life, good health, joy and happiness, not only for the holiday season, but also for the new year and for many years to come. The use of the Christmas wafer (oplatek) is not only by native Poles in Poland but also by people of Polish ancestry all over the world. Sometimes an oplatek is sent in a greeting card to loved ones away from home.

The table is covered with a festive table cloth and people are using their best tableware. In Poland, an additional seat is kept for somebody unknown at the supper table. No one should be left alone at Christmas, so strangers are welcomed to the Christmas supper. I remember just before dinner my father would go out and bring home someone homeless, who would dine with us or given food to take out. Also singles without families were often invited.

Besides all the salads and appetizers mentioned above, the traditional soup is a red borscht, followed by a pan fried or baked fish ( usually carp), washed down with lots of wine or vodka.
For dessert chilled fruit compote, dessert wines or cocktails, assorted pastries, cakes and cookies. Fruits, nuts and chocolates. Traditional poppy seed roll, rum baba, honey-spice cake, gingerbread cookies are the must. Many people prepare in advance spiced vodka with honey or fruits, made egg yolk based advocaat, or liqueurs.
The celebration is very much based on the family and particularly remembering those who have passed on. Usually the photographs come out and relatives discussed. This is quite different from the English or USA celebrations, which tend to be less formal. Christmas is one of the best Polish traditions.

After the dinner, that can last for hours, all family including kids will go to the Midnight Mass. The walk to the church is good for the digestion after eating a lots of food, it also helps to clear some heads. During the mass people will sing carols, loudly and cheerfully, still under the influence of good food and lots of alcohol
After the mass they will exchange greetings and best wishes.
Kids usually can't wait to go home and finally open all the gifts waiting for them under the Christmas tree.

In Poland ( also in other European countries ) Christmas is celebrated two days.
The first day is spent with the family at home. No visiting, cleaning, nor cooking are allowed on that day, because the food is cooked in advance and re-heated. Many dishes can be prepared days in advance and, when properly stored, will still be fresh when the Holiday arrives. Only little things are prepared fresh on Christmas Day.
The festive breakfast starts late and food will be eaten all day long. Of course meat is now allowed - typically is ham, many kinds of Polish sausages, roast duck or goose, Hunter’s stew.
St. Stephen's Day is known as the second holiday. This is a day for visiting and exchanging Christmas greetings with extended family or in-laws.
Christmas is the most festive holiday of the year in Poland. People will spend lots of money and effort to make it the best holiday of the year. Lots of food is cooked and people will eat all kinds of leftovers for a week till New Year

Here, in the US is only two of us: me and my son, but we put the best effort to continue all the traditions we learned from home, so they would be not forgotten and later passed on to the next generation.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Are you telling me that they don't have christmas pudding or Crackers in the USA?

Yea right, i've watched Mickey Mouse when I was young and they had pudding for christmas.
Neither Christmas pudding NOR crackers are common in the US, though the crackers have recently begun to become more popular.

Christmas pudding is nearly unheard of.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on - my daughter lives in Harrogate, England and this is their first Christmas there. She and her family went to a pantomime the other day!
Harrogate's a nice place - my brother had the option to transfer there for his work but turned it down (I wasn't living here yet) so we took a trip there to see what it would have been like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc
They are not completely unheard of in some areas/families. You come across them now and again - but over all, no, they are not very common. Closest thing to Christmas pudding is fruitcake.

Quote:
Good for you. Like I said, it's not completely unheard of - just not very common. And are you sure it wasn't fruitcake? They are traditional during Christmas in the US and similar to Christmas pudding, though apparently different.

Quote:
I know exactly what I'm comparing since I'm American and living in England but have never lived in Europe. I think I know a little bit more about American culture than you do, having grown up there and lived there for the first 24 years of my life. But oh no, you watching Mickey Mouse on TV totally trumps that, right? Yes, I bow to your superior knowledge of MY country's culture. LOL - unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World