Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Istanbul or Rome?
Istanbul 25 62.50%
Rome 15 37.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:06 AM

233 posts, read 333,624 times

Advertisements

- Geography/Scenery: ISTANBUL (The Bosporus)
- Architecture: TIE
- Historical heritage: ISTANBUL for sure (Christian+ Muslim, Roman+ Ottoman, West + East heritage...)
- People: TIE
- Food: ISTANBUL (mezze, sea food, kebap... IMO more delicious than pizza & pasta)
- Things to do/see: TIE (both offer a lot)
- Entertainment: ISTANBUL (nightlife in Istanbul is among the best, ever been to Reina or those pubs in Taksim?)

Istanbul wins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 07:16 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,593,562 times
Istambul without hesitation,much nicer than Rome.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:14 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,918,126 times
Both Top cities of Europe, but Rome is one step higher. Rome>Istambul.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:05 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Interesting. Are you Turkish? Marothisu kind of sounds like it to me.
A little bit, but not a lot. I have some friends who grew up in Istanbul and others who lived there, as well as other acquaintances who grew up in other parts of Turkey. I've been there 3 times too.

So it's interesting because they can be forward thinking with some things, but others not so much. There's actually kind of like a family honor thing - like if you own a restaurant, you expect your sons to do that too. I know of people, and I know of a few people, who literally got their PhD in math, only to return to Turkey to work at their family restaurant. Some of them in the more conservative regions have literally had a hit put on them if they don't. This isn't everyone of course - there's a lot of families who don't care, but there are some parents (fathers mainly) who care a lot and expect you to come back and do whatever menial job they do no matter what degree you got. It's kind of sad.

Anyway, Istanbul can be a magnificent city. People especially in the US don't really realize how big the city is and how much stuff is there. The official numbers say 13.5 million people, but it's actually 16-20 million people. It served as the capitol of 4 major empires in history and tons of other people have passed through it. It's really hard to walk in most areas and not run into something historical. The food, when you get deep into Turkish food past the Kebap ****, is pretty diverse too and reflects a lot of cultures who have made their way through. As a tourist though, it's easy to just stay and only eat kebap stuff because that's what you'll find the most of in the big tourist areas, but if you get out of there you can easily find other stuff.

If you haven't seen Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on Istanbul, then do it - it's fairly good.
Turkish Foods & Kitchen Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations @ istanbul, Turkey. - YouTube

Old 02-10-2014, 10:17 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,917 times
This is one of the best comparison pool between two cities. Two of the most important cities of the world alongside the entire history. I never travelled to Istambul, but I want to do it as soon as possible. Rome is wonderful.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:20 PM

449 posts, read 640,998 times
I really like Rome but Istambul by far, such a vibrant and gorgeous city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World