Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Shopping Citites(clothes)
London 15 25.86%
Amerstandam 1 1.72%
Paris 9 15.52%
Berlin 1 1.72%
Dubai 2 3.45%
Seoule 0 0%
Tokyo 5 8.62%
Melbourne 0 0%
Sydney 1 1.72%
Istanbul 1 1.72%
Mexico City 0 0%
Los Angeles 2 3.45%
Chicago 2 3.45%
Miami 1 1.72%
New York City 18 31.03%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
How did you interpret that from my post?
The subject of the post is upscale fashion, but you did not provide any more context when you were talking about shopping malls. One could interpret that as talking about the subject of the post, but I gotcha now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
I'm merely stating that I hate shopping malls, upscale or not, and any city that focuses on them will not get my vote (I presume that Dubai's upscale fashion stores are entirely located within malls). London has some of the world's most upmarket shopping, little of which is contained within malls.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Too many of you are hung up on your experiences with the suburbs. Look at Harrod's in London, or the opulent mall in Dubai to see what shopping malls can be.
I find there are varying levels of shopping malls. For example, near me in Chicago there is a "mall" which has Williams Sonoma, Gucci, Coach, Diesel, Michael Korrs, etc. So it's not terrible and not like there's Abercrombie & Fitch. That's one mall I can stomach, but most malls at least in the US, are the type you'd like to have your time back with if you ever went to one.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I'm merely stating that I hate shopping malls, upscale or not, and any city that focuses on them will not get my vote (I presume that Dubai's upscale fashion stores are entirely located within malls). London has some of the world's most upmarket shopping, little of which is contained within malls.
I agree with you, although there are a few malls I can stomach because...not sure why. I guess it's the people. They aren't full of annoying teenagers and full of stores that make you want to kill yourself like Abercrombie & Fitch or Express.

In any case, Istanbul is like that too. They have been adding a number of malls, but the number of stores far outweigh that and it will be a very, very long time before it does. I was actually shocked at the number of clothing stores there in certain areas. It's actually kind of ridiculous.

Istiklal Cadessi in Beyoglu

This is from a part of town that's not exactly on most tourists' radars when it comes to shopping (a few miles from Aya Sofya, Blue Mosque, etc)...Unfortunately I was there when they were doing road construction, otherwise it would have looked way better

Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,503 times
London is easily tops when it comes to upmarket shopping. They do really less on malls as someone else has said, but for what it's worth those malls that they do have are great ...

Old 01-06-2013, 02:23 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Where is Amerstandam?

Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree with you, although there are a few malls I can stomach because...not sure why. I guess it's the people. They aren't full of annoying teenagers and full of stores that make you want to kill yourself like Abercrombie & Fitch or Express.

In any case, Istanbul is like that too. They have been adding a number of malls, but the number of stores far outweigh that and it will be a very, very long time before it does. I was actually shocked at the number of clothing stores there in certain areas. It's actually kind of ridiculous.

Istiklal Cadessi in Beyoglu

This is from a part of town that's not exactly on most tourists' radars when it comes to shopping (a few miles from Aya Sofya, Blue Mosque, etc)...Unfortunately I was there when they were doing road construction, otherwise it would have looked way better

I've seen images of the mall in Istanbul, one of the world's largest, and that typifies my hatred of such places really. When I do get the chance to visit Istanbul, I'll make sure to avoid it like the plague.

İstiklal Avenue looks really great - the type of shopping environment I prefer.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I've seen images of the mall in Istanbul, one of the world's largest, and that typifies my hatred of such places really. When I do get the chance to visit Istanbul, I'll make sure to avoid it like the plague.

İstiklal Avenue looks really great - the type of shopping environment I prefer.
While Istanbul is building malls, the number of actual street shopping VASTLY outweighs the number of shops in malls. As I showed above in the pictures, which is not Istiklal, there's a lot of that in certain areas. I saw more clothing stores there than in the major parts of New York City on the street, and it wasn't even "on the radar."

Istiklal is pretty great, but a lot of the stores there are in many other places, but the street, just like everywhere else in the area and many others has a great vibe. Just beware it can get pretty crowded

http://anartistabroad.files.wordpres...0/100_1343.jpg

Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,893 times
Where are Hong Kong, Singapore, and Bangkok? These 3 are Asia's shopping capitals, attracting millions of people annually who go there just to shop!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Where are Hong Kong, Singapore, and Bangkok? These 3 are Asia's shopping capitals, attracting millions of people annually who go there just to shop!
agreed. just shows the western bias here. Shopping malls in the big Asian cities are very interesting. Much more lively than the generic malls that are basically all the same across the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World