Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
True. I actually find a lot of British people chatty in a way most Aussies aren't. Like they'll actually focus on topics, whereas a lot of Australians are more 'activity orientated' and their talk is more 'incidental.' Like the English will actually have like discussions over things. They're better conversationalists in general, one could say. Of course not all...probably related to region, class, education and personality, interests.
In general, I think this is very true. I think that Americans and British are the most "chatty" overall, but of course it helps to share a common language!

I find many Germans to be pretty chatty as well, though - in English. Many of them seem to welcome the opportunity to practice the English skills. And I'm always eager to oblige! I love the way they say things "backwards" as in, "To the store I will go," or "That shirt I like very much!" Of course, I butcher their language and so I'm sure they get a kick out of hearing me say everything "backwards" as well as using the wrong masculine/feminine forms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 01:05 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
I'm quiet around people I don't know, but talk a LOT around people I do know. I often get told to shut up in a joking manner because I talk too much, and I prefer talking about actual topics rather than casual chit-chat which I abhor. I think this is true for a lot of people here. Pick an actual topic, whether it be politics or sport, and things may end up heated.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:07 PM

18 posts, read 31,133 times
1. London (most friendly)

2. Tokyo

3. New York

4. Paris (least friendly)

Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times
London Tube Etiquette Poem courtesy of Transport for London

Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 PM

181 posts, read 499,622 times
I can't comment on Tokyo.

In New York City, I find the people there to be quite nice. It is a big city afterall, but people there will talk to you in a café or on the subway. That's something you don't see in many other cities. Generally speaking, I find Americans to be friendly and outgoing.

People in Paris were also friendly. Most people on the streets were more than willing to help us non-French speaking tourists. Paris has a horrible reputation as being snobby and especially unfriendly to tourists. I didn't notice this whatsoever.

London, on the other hand, was a completely different story. The city is great, but the people were some of the coldest, most unfriendly people imaginable all the way from the airport to the hotel. Every waitress treated you more like a nuisance than a customer. People wouldn't help you at all with directions. Some people were nice, but the vast majority were completely frigid. I just could never imagine having to make friends in a city like that.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
London, on the other hand, was a completely different story. The city is great, but the people were some of the coldest, most unfriendly people imaginable all the way from the airport to the hotel. Every waitress treated you more like a nuisance than a customer. People wouldn't help you at all with directions. Some people were nice, but the vast majority were completely frigid. I just could never imagine having to make friends in a city like that.
It depends on the hotel or restaurant as to how you are treated, a good hotel or restaurant should be treating it's customers well. In terms of many of the hotel and service industry staff in London, they are increasingly from Poland and Eastern Europe rather than being British. In fact I have stayed in hotels in the UK where nearly the entire staff were from Eastern Europe.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:33 AM

64 posts, read 66,836 times
London is by far the most friendly and Paris by far the least friendly. I would put NY in 2nd and Tokyo in 3rd. The Japanese are incredibly polite but not exactly friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World