Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is overall better?
California 24 46.15%
Germany 28 53.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 05:16 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetroof View Post
Looks like dried out desert. Are there any human beings? Aliens invaded and zapped every human, leaving cars stuck in place.

Those are the definition of sterile: brand new buildings. Everything is perfectly clean because no one steps outside. It's just for show. Looks like something created with a computer program.

Las Vegas vibe. There is nothing original or representative in those photos. If you've seen one of those cities, you've seen them all.

Berlin Life

Hahaaa dude my photos were from a normal day where PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIVE! NOT TOURIST DESTINATIONS! Just plain google maps!!

Germany/Europe maybe fun for a little while, but California is one of the best places to actually live!

Old 05-05-2013, 05:22 AM

286 posts, read 331,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Hahaaa dude my photos were from a normal day where PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIVE! NOT TOURIST DESTINATIONS! Just plain google maps!!

Germany/Europe maybe fun for a little while, but California is one of the best places to actually live!
Those are normal photos from Berlin.

Live how? In your car. If a gas shortage occurred, life in California would stop. Hahah

Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Quote:
Looks like dried out desert. Are there any human beings? Aliens invaded and zapped every human, leaving cars stuck in place.

Those are the definition of sterile: brand new buildings. Everything is perfectly clean because no one steps outside. It's just for show. Looks like something created with a computer program.

Las Vegas vibe. There is nothing original or representative in those photos. If you've seen one of those cities, you've seen them all.

Berlin Life

Really, the guy showed places where people live and work in california, you showed all the tourist destinations.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:08 AM

796 posts, read 1,162,569 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? Part of living in suburban lifestyle is wanting more quiet and peaceful traditional family life. Many people prefer owning and driving cars and living in houses rather than apartments.

Actually many U.S. suburbs are very busy with lots of traffic, humans, malls, stores, entertainment, parks, pools, beaches, etc.
Feels almost like a big city in many parts, especially in New York suburbs.

Many cousins and friends from Europe who visited NYC and NJ/Long Island said they prefer living in suburbs than NYC itself.

European "suburbs" are dead boring and ghetto with high crime, not American ones.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Are you kidding? Part of living in suburban lifestyle is wanting more quiet and peaceful traditional family life. Many people prefer owning and driving cars and living in houses rather than apartments.

Actually many U.S. suburbs are very busy with lots of traffic, humans, malls, stores, entertainment, parks, pools, beaches, etc.
Feels almost like a big city in many parts, especially in New York suburbs.

Many cousins and friends from Europe who visited NYC and NJ/Long Island said they prefer living in suburbs than NYC itself.

European "suburbs" are dead boring and ghetto with high crime, not American ones.
And when did you become an expert on 'suburbs' in Europe? No crime in American suburbs? You really do need to get a clue.

I live in an 'American-sized' house on a large lot on the coast. No crime whatsoever. Quiet. Friendly. Oh right, but you'd find it too boring.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
And when did you become an expert on 'suburbs' in Europe? No crime in American suburbs? You really do need to get a clue.

I live in an 'American-sized' house on a large lot on the coast. No crime whatsoever. Quiet. Friendly. Oh right, but you'd find it too boring.
How come every european on this webite claims they have once lived in america to help them prove a point.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
How come every european on this webite claims they have once lived in america to help them prove a point.

I bet many of them have never visited the US either.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Those are normal photos from Berlin.

Live how? In your car. If a gas shortage occurred, life in California would stop. Hahah
You never been to California it seems like. Not all of California is suburban sprawl. San Francisco is more city than any boring city in Germany.

Most German cities looks depressing anyway with high number of Muslims and Turkish residents... Very trashy and ghetto looking. Sorry but it is true. Germany has the economy, but everything else sucks.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:30 PM

286 posts, read 331,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
You never been to California it seems like. Not all of California is suburban sprawl. San Francisco is more city than any boring city in Germany.

Most German cities looks depressing anyway with high number of Muslims and Turkish residents... Very trashy and ghetto looking. Sorry but it is true. Germany has the economy, but everything else sucks.
"Look depressing" What does that mean? You saying they aren't cookie cutter. I agree and I prefer that. Those photos posted from California, you can't tell which city because they all look identical. Just like living in Suburbia: groundhog day. Like I said, looks like generic photos created on a computer program

Moderator cut: Bashing

I live and have lived in San Diego for 20 years. I'm finishing my degree and moving to Central Europe. California is a great place to vacation, but I need a more rewarding daily life and that's in European big city.

You only speak English, am I right?

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-05-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Location: This depends on what someone is looking for with exact location.

Germany wins in having a central Europe location and near proximity to 8 other European countries: Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland, and this is an advantage for day and weekend trips.

Germany itself also contains an intriguing variety in regions between North vs. South, Northeast vs. Northwest, and Southeast vs. Southwest parts of this country with Bavaria, Baden-Wurttemburg, North Rhine-Westphalia/Rhine Ruhr, Saxony, Berlin/Brandenburg, Schleswig-Holstein, and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

California for Mediterranean climate beaches, mountains, and variety of nature scenery. There is also a noticeable difference between Northern vs. Southern California.

Climate: Really depends on weather preferences.

For Mediterranean climate, mild/sunny: California. For more 4 seasons continental weather: Germany.

I prefer 4 seasons weather overall, but Germany’s version of it is not my ideal, so I probably would choose inland Northern California weather in Redding over Germany weather. Germany’s weather is appropriately rated, but most of California has such overrated weather.

Scenery/Landscape: California

Economy: Actually almost a tie, but overall Germany.

The San Francisco bay area’s economy is thriving, doing very well, and is one of the most innovative for economy, especially with Silicon Valley: Modern Internet Revolution, Science/Technology, and Computer careers. However, the economy in the rest of California drags it down.

Germany’s economy is more well-rounded, balanced, and consistent as a region, and some areas probably can compete with the shining star of California’s Silicon valley SF bay area.

Entertainment: Overall a tie when considering everything.

Cities: Germany has more prominent and vibrant cities: Berlin, Hamburg, Dresden, Leipzig, Munich, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Dusseldorf, Nuremburg. California does well in this category too with San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Berkeley.

Education: Tie. Both have some of the best education systems in the world for College.

However, for high school/middle school/elementary, Germany has the better education system for this part of education.

Friendliness: California overall, but this is surprisingly not so far away from being a tie. Germans can also be friendly and exciting to be around, but are a bit too serious, and stoic based on first impressions.

Demographic diversity:
California, but Germany in recent times is developing quite a cosmopolitan scene and started to embrace parts of diversity.

Unfortunately, some people that don’t know the modern Germany fail to realize this and have some negative false stereotypes for Germany’s demographic diversity. However, most people do know the modern Germany new way of life for ethnic/racial diversity.

Which place is better overall? This really depends on someone’s preferences for culture and lifestyle.

Where would you rather live?
Almost a tie overall, but probably California for this time of my life compared to Germany. If this was France vs. California, I would choose France without hesitation.

Last edited by ; 05-05-2013 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World