Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:39 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times

Advertisements

I'd probably get a culture shock moving from Australia to Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 01:20 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Moving from Australia to Canada, I was in shock when I went to the Supermarket for my first time. Almost everything is already packed, I mean if you want to buy three, four of 10 pieces of chicken breasts, you can't do this in Canada, because it is already packed. I know it sounds silly, but it was frustrating. You also have to pay for the bags, and it is very rare to find self-checkouts. Also, they have people who will pack your bags, something that is common in third world countries.
Having someone other than the cashier help you bag your groceries is pretty rare in Canada at least in the places I shop at.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 AM

570 posts, read 508,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Having someone other than the cashier help you bag your groceries is pretty rare in Canada at least in the places I shop at.
Yes, a second person who would help you to bag your groceries. It was like that everywhere I went while I lived in Montreal.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:41 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Moving from Australia to Canada, I was in shock when I went to the Supermarket for my first time. Almost everything is already packed, I mean if you want to buy three, four of 10 pieces of chicken breasts, you can't do this in Canada, because it is already packed. I know it sounds silly, but it was frustrating. You also have to pay for the bags, and it is very rare to find self-checkouts. Also, they have people who will pack your bags, something that is common in third world countries.
???

Funny, I've lived my whole life here in Canada, and have never been forced to buy a certain amount of chicken breasts. If they are pre-packaged you can usually find them in singles, two's, three's etc. In larger stores they have packages of ten. If not, you just ask the butcher or meat department person for what you want.

Paying for bags is a bit of a money grab IMO. It makes the stores look enviro friendly, LOL. It really is just the first step I believe before they ban bags altogether.

Bagging groceries vary a lot. Most stores the cashier is bagging your groceries. Some no frill type stores you bag your own. Some larger chains may have baggers, but they usually are just saving the cashier time by putting the bags into your shopping buggy. Most stores do not have them, Then again, I'm talking about Vancouver and BC. Canada is massive and the variety and types of stores and chains etc are different from province to province.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:58 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
???

Funny, I've lived my whole life here in Canada, and have never been forced to buy a certain amount of chicken breasts. If they are pre-packaged you can usually find them in singles, two's, three's etc. In larger stores they have packages of ten. If not, you just ask the butcher or meat department person for what you want.

Paying for bags is a bit of a money grab IMO. It makes the stores look enviro friendly, LOL. It really is just the first step I believe before they ban bags altogether.

Bagging groceries vary a lot. Most stores the cashier is bagging your groceries. Some no frill type stores you bag your own. Some larger chains may have baggers, but they usually are just saving the cashier time by putting the bags into your shopping buggy. Most stores do not have them, Then again, I'm talking about Vancouver and BC. Canada is massive and the variety and types of stores and chains etc are different from province to province.
Where I live the nicer grocery stores that are a tad more expensive all have a second staff person to pack your groceries. They also sometimes offer to help you out to your car if you have lots of stuff.

In the cheapo grocery stores you pack your own.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Would be a massive culture shock to me if someone would start to pack my groceries.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:28 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Would be a massive culture shock to me if someone would start to pack my groceries.
It's not a shock to me either way as I am used to both.

One of my first jobs as a student was packing grocery bags in a supermarket.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Where I live the nicer grocery stores that are a tad more expensive all have a second staff person to pack your groceries. They also sometimes offer to help you out to your car if you have lots of stuff.

In the cheapo grocery stores you pack your own.
A lot depends on the check-out setup. If each cash has their own queue, then a bagging person has room. If all cash is one queue to all cashiers, then there are no baggers.

Also when I’ve seen baggers, they are not at every cash but scan to see who may need some help. These baggers are also the people who help carry groceries to a persons car if they neeed help.

Of course the newest job in a grocery store are those that do the shopping and delivery to the pick-up area for those that have shopped online.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No. However in food shopping in other “ First world “ countries I haven’t been shocked per se, but didn’t know certain things. Like in certain fruit shops or stands you don’t touch or choose the selection of say apples yourself. You say what you want and they choose.

Also in a Hyper Marche in France years ago I learned that even though you choose your own fruit, you must also weigh it and put the weight and price sticker on yourself. Whereas in Canada the cashier weighs it.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No. However in food shopping in other “ First world “ countries I haven’t been shocked per se, but didn’t know certain things. Like in certain fruit shops or stands you don’t touch or choose the selection of say apples yourself. You say what you want and they choose.

Also in a Hyper Marche in France years ago I learned that even though you choose your own fruit, you must also weigh it and put the weight and price sticker on yourself. Whereas in Canada the cashier weighs it.

I think it works like this in all of Europe. Haven't seen a designated bagger anywhere. That is what my point was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World