Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 06:59 AM

402 posts, read 273,702 times

Advertisements

Too bad as Greece is good for living with very nice weather and a lax lifestyle. But if you're not a pensioner it must be boringly dull to live in places where most expats tend to be retirees like most Greek islands, smaller cities and towns and similar places in Italy, Portugal and the Spanish coasts.

A country has better future if it attracts young foreigners, preferably of the educated/working kind.

Almost all countries in Europe already have aging local populations so attracting the retirees is not good for the host countries.

For example if you visit Marbella in Spain, Pomorie in Bulgaria or Karlovy Vary in Czechia you'll notice they feel like British or Russian nursing homes.

That makes many economically active young people to avoid those places for relocation/works while ironically the elderly need younger people to service and cater to them. Becaused let's be honest, young people prefer living with other young people and there are many youthful middle-aged folks that also try to avoid retiree havens as they prefer being surrounded by younger, hip people. While retiree expats invest in properties more than many young and even middle-aged professionals, they are a huge burden for the understaffed and underpaid local medical systems. They're also the ones the most unwilling to adapt to new ways, languages and cultures and create the dreaded-by-locals "retiree enclaves".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 05:50 PM

577 posts, read 561,578 times
Northern Italy (i.e. everything from Rome to the north) is more or less equal to Sweden in GDP per capita. Southern Italy which is about 20 million people is the part that brings Italy down statistically, although it's incredibly beautiful.

In Spain, I went to Madrid, Catalonia, and the Basque County which are all at the level of Sweden in terms of GDP per capita. One city that definitely felt like Scandinavia was San Sebastián. All the streets are lined with trees and landscaped and lined with modern, upscale-looking apartment buildings.

Northern Spain from San Sebastián to Asturias looks like Austria. Some of the southern coastal cities of Spain are also thriving. Spain is extremely nice.

In Italy I went to Bologna, which is Italy's university city, and that whole region is where Ferrari, Maserati, and Lamborghini are made. Florence is also in the area and is immaculate. I also noticed in Italy how nicely dressed, groomed, and stylish everyone looked. Both of these countries are very much first world.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:05 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,187,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Dude, have you seen the buildings they are living in?

They can't even effort to renovate them. Definitely 3rd-worldish.

You need to travel more in the US.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:00 AM

394 posts, read 597,855 times
Spain, Italy, and Portugal certainly but Greece, not so much.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:30 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times
Spain and Italy (northern at least). Portugal is a step lower and Greece is a step lower beyond that.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:22 PM

577 posts, read 561,578 times
I saw a list today that shows San Sebastián, Spain to be the safest city in Europe, above Zurich, Munich, and Copenhagen. I visited San Sebastián and it reminded me of Scandinavia. Clean, modern, landscaped, and well-designed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World