Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
They're certainly compact compared to US or Australian standards.
Yep. Most British cities are quite compact, it's not just London. While they're mostly not denser than older Northeast US ones, they don't have the sprawling suburbs surrounding them and have healthier downtowns. By public transport use metro-wide, they'd be higher than all but a couple of North American cities.

Can't remember the source, but the % of people not owning a car, and the number of families with just one car rather than two is much higher in the UK, than all but small parts of the US. Still, most people have cars, so car ownership is maybe a 1/3 less than the US, not a different order of magnitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yep. Most British cities are quite compact, it's not just London. While they're mostly not denser than older Northeast US ones, they don't have the sprawling suburbs surrounding them and have healthier downtowns. By public transport use metro-wide, they'd be higher than all but a couple of North American cities.

Can't remember the source, but the % of people not owning a car, and the number of families with just one car rather than two is much higher in the UK, than all but small parts of the US. Still, most people have cars, so car ownership is maybe a 1/3 less than the US, not a different order of magnitude.
Yes I still think car ownership is a sign of wealth in most developed countries even if public transport is good. Only Singapore has a very low rate of car ownership among first world nations, and is partly because it is a city-state. Even Malaysia and Thailand have a higher rate of car ownership than Singapore.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Meh. I think in most developed countries, car ownership has gotten to the point where anyone who really wants one and has a decent job could afford it so it's not really a sign of wealth. Here's what this blogger said:

The other issue is that cars are still aspirational in Israel, and they aren’t in the US or Europe. Last time I visited, I saw ad posters on the Sherut vans, “Today, you’re in a taxi [vanshare, not a taxi in the American sense] – tomorrow you’re in a car.” You won’t see these in New York. You won’t even see them in Providence or New Haven, two cities where a fair amount of the population doesn’t own a car, out of poverty.

http://pedestrianobservations.wordpr...trip-chaining/

Interestingly, I noticed car advertisements in the suburban commuter rail stations of NYC [driving our car is so good you'll keep driving it and miss your train] but none on the NYC subway [poor target audience?]

Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Meh. I think in most developed countries, car ownership has gotten to the point where anyone who really wants one and has a decent job could afford it so it's not really a sign of wealth. Here's what this blogger said:

The other issue is that cars are still aspirational in Israel, and they aren’t in the US or Europe. Last time I visited, I saw ad posters on the Sherut vans, “Today, you’re in a taxi [vanshare, not a taxi in the American sense] – tomorrow you’re in a car.†You won’t see these in New York. You won’t even see them in Providence or New Haven, two cities where a fair amount of the population doesn’t own a car, out of poverty.

Trip Chaining | Pedestrian Observations

Interestingly, I noticed car advertisements in the suburban commuter rail stations of NYC [driving our car is so good you'll keep driving it and miss your train] but none on the NYC subway [poor target audience?]
Well not so much that it's a sign of wealth within that country, but where it's linked to being able to afford a car and being wealthy relative to the rest of the world.

Providence and New Haven have a lot of poverty? I guess you have this idea CT is all rich. I stopped in New Haven actually. Yeah I didn't notice many car adverts in Manhattan, but in Manhattan you have quite a few fairly wealthy folks who don't drive too.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Well not so much that it's a sign of wealth within that country, but where it's linked to being able to afford a car and being wealthy relative to the rest of the world.
What I meant is that a car isn't a status symbol, or shows "you've done well"

Quote:
Providence and New Haven have a lot of poverty? I guess you have this idea CT is all rich. I stopped in New Haven actually. Yeah I didn't notice many car adverts in Manhattan, but in Manhattan you have quite a few fairly wealthy folks who don't drive too.
I don't, haven't heard of that idea. The state is well off overall, but have pockets of poverty in many of its cities. RI isn't a rich state by any means.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
What I meant is that a car isn't a status symbol, or shows "you've done well"

I don't, haven't heard of that idea. The state is well off overall, but have pockets of poverty in many of its cities. RI isn't a rich state by any means.
Sorry I meant, a lot of people who aren't familiar with it have. On the coach from NYC to Boston, Connecticut kinda looked like England or something, very green like a big garden. I always associated it with wealth but yeah I suppose there are pockets of poverty throughout the US.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Sorry I meant, a lot of people who aren't familiar with it have. On the coach from NYC to Boston, Connecticut kinda looked like England or something, very green like a big garden. I always associated it with wealth but yeah I suppose there are pockets of poverty throughout the US.
Connecticut is mostly forested, the English countryside is mostly farmed so they wouldn't look similar. And yes, it's hard for me to tell what people elsewhere perceive my region.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Connecticut is mostly forested, the English countryside is mostly farmed so they wouldn't look similar. And yes, it's hard for me to tell what people elsewhere perceive my region.
I think the route just went through the more built-up areas...it seems we passed through a string of towns like Stamford, New Haven.etc, most of the land seemed to be cleared farmland, suburbia or the towns.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:00 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
They're certainly compact compared to US or Australian standards.
Maybe in England but not here.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Belfast looks rather compact for American standards. You mentioned being able to take a train to Belfast when you're well outside the city. That wouldn't be common in most of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World