Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is it possible to speak a foreign language like a native if you learnt it as an adult?
Yes, it's possible but not a cakewalk 50 58.82%
No, absolutely impossible no matter how hard you try, you'll keep a foreign accent 35 41.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:14 PM

32 posts, read 175,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I did it and I basically talk for a living now. No interpretations.
i don't think the original poster was asking if one can become fluent. the way the Q was phrased meant you had the correct accent to go with the language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 02:23 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpo123 View Post
i don't think the original poster was asking if one can become fluent. the way the Q was phrased meant you had the correct accent to go with the language.

I think it implies an even deeper level. One that is essentially unattainable. That's not to say someone cannot become an excellent speaker of a given language. Just not in the way the question is phrased.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:45 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,973 times
It is my understanding that the magic age is 15. Become fluent in a foreign language prior and no accent. After 15 no matter how well and how fluent the native language will always creep in accent wise. That being said there are CIA and other clandestine schools that can train an agent to be undetectable and I imagine that requires specific training. It wouldn't happen naturally, I would assume.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:41 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think it implies an even deeper level. One that is essentially unattainable. That's not to say someone cannot become an excellent speaker of a given language. Just not in the way the question is phrased.
Dear Moth, this what you said was very interesting, about a deeper level, you would have to connect in a deeper level to do it huh? like getting 100% tuned in to that country's frequency, but impossible is nothing imho

Old 11-25-2007, 11:25 PM

272 posts, read 784,328 times
Default Hard, but doable. Immersion is the best.

Hi.
I lived in Russia for several years as an adult and found that immersion along with some study was the best way to learn that rather difficult language.
Because I worked with a wide variety of people from Russia, The Ukraine and the Baltic states, I picked up their accent, slang, pronunciation and perhaps most importantly of all their common usage errors of their own language.
Few Russians speak PERFECT Russian. Usually highly educated foreigners and Russian college prof's speak the language well. Many times people would mistake me for a local and ask me what part of the Ukraine I was from, only to be shocked when I told them I was from California....

Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 AM

32 posts, read 175,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
It is my understanding that the magic age is 15. Become fluent in a foreign language prior and no accent. After 15 no matter how well and how fluent the native language will always creep in accent wise. That being said there are CIA and other clandestine schools that can train an agent to be undetectable and I imagine that requires specific training. It wouldn't happen naturally, I would assume.

too many movies. is it NOT possible that these agencies pick up applicants who have the language from other means (i.e. my parents taught me chinese- i speak english and chinese from a young age, and have the proper accents for both).

Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM

31 posts, read 143,262 times
Quote:
But he would never speak it like a native as its not his language.
Totally untrue. It IS possible, and not as rare as people think. Of course it's easier as a child/teen, but with a) lots of exposure b) lots and lots of speaking (these basically involve living in the country for some time) c) an ear for accents, many people manage to pass as natives when they were not brought up speaking that language.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:34 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm070685 View Post
Totally untrue. It IS possible, and not as rare as people think. Of course it's easier as a child/teen, but with a) lots of exposure b) lots and lots of speaking (these basically involve living in the country for some time) c) an ear for accents, many people manage to pass as natives when they were not brought up speaking that language.
In situations of limited exposure. My German was quite good while I resided there and there were indeed some times when I was mistake for actually being German. But given a bit more time, the other person would eventually realize the truth.

Again, that is not to say you cannot get pretty close under the conditions you mentioned.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:09 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm070685 View Post
I remember hearing an interview with the late French poet Andre Breton, who'd spent WW2 in Mexico City, on Mexican radio, and he spoke Mexican Spanish so perfectly that one would've thought he was Mexican from hearing the interview.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:39 PM

39 posts, read 39,046 times
Hello everyone
I say to you my personal experience
I got to school to learn English (I was born in 1945)
My study of English was five year period
I loved
English language has thousands french words from Norman conquest with William the Conqueror (1066)
I learned much at that time (1956 .a 1961)
I was very young
but I was never able to speak with an English
Now I still remember a bit of English 70 years
and I look at the tv cnn bbc ect for my ear adapts to the phonetics
but it is difficult
I do best by writing that speaking English
In conclusion it is better to teach very young and foreign language practice with native speakers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World