Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
As I've always lived in states without a death penalty, the death penalty sounds nearly as foreign to me as it might to some Europeans.
That's a good point. Of the countries I've visited (9, 7 in Asia), all but one (New Zealand) have the death penalty. Of the states in the US I visited (16), all but 2, New York and Mass, had/have the DP, I think CT and NM have abolished it since. And the D of C. It's not something I even thought about in the US, but in Singapore and many Asian countries they warn you in bold letters 'death to drug smugglers' on your immigration card and at the airport. Singapore is serious about drug trafficking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 09:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
where are you from?

Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
where are you from?
Australia

Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Quote:
where are you from?
I think postman is from Australia, am I right?

Old 08-25-2013, 10:04 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Meh, every country gets bashed. That's just the way it is. Canada is America's favorite whipping post, and America is Canada's favorite whipping post.

Sometimes I wonder if between us anyways, its more of a brotherly thing.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I think postman is from Australia, am I right?
Yep, from Downunder mate!

Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
That reminds me of a discussion on the CNN Facebook page some time ago. The question was if English should become the US national language.

Many people were outraged and made statements like:"When you come to America, you have to know English!" or:"Spanish isn't our native language, learn English if you want to live in America!".

It was funny that I, as an European, had to remind them of the fact that there is a difference between the US and America. They all were US Americans and completely ignored that there is also Canada, Central and South America with other national languages than English.
I myself am American and say America to mean the US. I say US as well, but saying America is just easier. We call ourselves Americans because we are the United States of America. What else are we supposed to call ourselves? United Staters? That just sounds stupid. In the US we usually say America to refer to the US, and Americas to refer to the continents.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:48 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
This is something i do not understand.
"Why don't Americans travel enough!" Lot's do, but the ones that don't probably fall into two categories. Those who can't afford to, or those who have no interest about a world they know little about. This is true, to an extent for all countries.

"Why are American tourist so loud and so poorly dressed!?" Only the ones that stand out. I've seen loud and obnoxious tourists from Germany, Australia, the U.K. and Canada as well.

"Why do Americans call it Soccer and not Football!?" Why does language evolve the way it does?

"America is a continent not a country!?" Technically true and for some it's still a valid question. It's only been over the last 25 years or so that I've noticed people in the U.K. and Europe to start meaning the U.S. specifically when saying " America ". In the 1980's while in the U.K. many referred to Canada as being in America, which it is.

"Why do you Americans eat so much!?" This question probably comes from portion sizes. When we travel in the U.S. we are constantly amazed on how much food is put on a plate. In a fast food joint a U.S. small would of been a Canadian large. This sizing though has slipped across the border in some places, however generally in Canada and Europe portion sizes are smaller.

Oh and around here, say one good thing about the United States and you will be called a "ignorant brainwashed nationalist" No. If you say one good " made up " thing about the United States you will be called on it. Telling someone from the U.S. that they don't live in the freest nation on earth etc is not U.S. bashing.

I live in America so its hard for me to answer this but i'm just guessing its because we sorta live in our own little bubble, many of my fellow citizens don't know much or care about the rest of the world. the most popular sport in the world is probably the 5th most popular sport here and we have our own sports we follow. our news stations are very US centric.
Many people live in a bubble, so it's no surprise that anyone living in a bubble that makes statements that are simply untrue, will be called on it.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:02 PM

270 posts, read 593,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
What else are we supposed to call ourselves? United Staters? That just sounds stupid. In the US we usually say America to refer to the US, and Americas to refer to the continents.

Maybe U.S.-American? The official term we Europeans use?

My husband is U.S.-American like 90% of our friends. None of them uses "America" when they talk about their home country. They say "the States" or "the U.S.".

Old 08-25-2013, 07:41 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
Maybe U.S.-American? The official term we Europeans use?

My husband is U.S.-American like 90% of our friends. None of them uses "America" when they talk about their home country. They say "the States" or "the U.S.".
Mexico is officially the United States of Mexico, I guess we can start calling it US also. Do any other countries have "states"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World