Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

When traveling abroad, National Parks are not very easy to get to. You need to have your own car, of sign on to a tour package of some kind.

For the purposes of this discussion, just count places that are being preserved for their natural features, and not the following:
---little features that have national park status, but are basically urban historic sites,
---those that are essentially archaeological ruins (as opposed to natural and scenic),
---those you just passed through on transportation without getting down and actually visiting the park,
How many countries are there in which you have actually visited a national park (or a designated preserved place with similar status)?

As best as I recall, I have:
USA
Canada
Costa Rica
Bolivia
Ecuador
Chile
Paraguay/Brazil/Argentina (same park)
Venezuela
Tanzania
Kenya
India
Zambia
Bangladesh
Korea
Jordan
Lebanon

I can't recall ever going to one in Europe. Maybe Finland. Maybe also Romania.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-27-2013 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Australia - too many to name

New Zealand - i'm not sure if we went to any actual NP's, but we did see a lot of scenery. We missed out on Milford Sound or Mt Cook NP. It was a school trip mainly for skiing.

Singapore - Bukit Timah Nature Reserve and Sungei Buloh Nature Reserve: actually I guess there are no NP's in Singapore so it doesn't really count

Malaysia - Taman Negara National Park. Belum Nature Reserve but that's not a NP.

Thailand - None

Vietnam - This one was annoying. I'd actually booked a tour to Phong Nha Cave but couldn't get there due to flooding. I also wanted to go to Bach Ma NP but didn't go also due to flooding.

China - Wuyishan National Park, Fujian province: An amazingly beautiful place well worth the visit and a world heritage site.

Taiwan - One near Taipei, I forget the name. Taroko Gorge National Park, an incredibly beautiful and spectacular place.

Sri Lanka - Kaudalla National Park...Highlight was seeing about 100 elephants

United States - Grand Canyon NP...not sure if Monument Valley is a NP. Carlsbad Caverns.

Last edited by The Postman; 08-27-2013 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: ,

Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Canada, US and the UK.

UK — Snowdonia National Park. National Parks in the UK mean something rather different than in North America (not run to be mostly undeveloped, untouched land, but rather mostly private land with management restrictions)

US — Olympic, North Cascades, Redwood, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Acadia, Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Crater Lake

Canada — Gros Morne and Cape Breton Highlands

Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Australia - too many to name

New Zealand - i'm not sure if we went to any actual NP's, but we did see a lot of scenery. We missed out on Milford Sound or Mt Cook NP. It was a school trip mainly for skiing.

Singapore - Bukit Timah Nature Reserve and Sungei Buloh Nature Reserve: actually I guess there are no NP's in Singapore so it doesn't really count

Malaysia - Taman Negara National Park. Belum Nature Reserve but that's not a NP.

Thailand - None

Vietnam - This one was annoying. I'd actually booked a tour to Phong Nha Cave but couldn't get there due to flooding. I also wanted to go to Bach Ma NP but didn't go also due to flooding.

China - Wuyishan National Park, Fujian province: An amazingly beautiful place well worth the visit and a world heritage site.

Taiwan - One near Taipei, I forget the name. Taroko Gorge National Park, an incredibly beautiful and spectacular place.

Sri Lanka - Kaudalla National Park...Highlight was seeing about 100 elephants

United States - Grand Canyon NP...not sure if Monument Valley is a NP. Carlsbad Caverns.
That's an impressive list! Monument Valley is not a national park. It's part of the Navajo Indian tribe reservation and is a Navajo Tribal Park.

I have rarely had the opportunity to travel outside the United States so here is my sad list.

United States - Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches, Rocky Mountain, Badlands.

Aruba - Arikok National Park

Old 08-29-2013, 07:06 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
That's an impressive list! Monument Valley is not a national park. It's part of the Navajo Indian tribe reservation and is a Navajo Tribal Park.

I have rarely had the opportunity to travel outside the United States so here is my sad list.

United States - Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches, Rocky Mountain, Badlands.

Aruba - Arikok National Park
Ah ok...

well those are some of the best. Next time I want to check out those, as well as Glacier, Crater Lake, Olympic, Yellowstone, Death Valley among others.

I also forgot to mention Bako National Park in Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo, where the highlight was seeing the proboscis monkey.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:05 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Canada

Banff National Park
Jasper National Park
Yoho National Park
Glacier National Park
Revelstoke National Park
Waterton Lakes National Park
Grasslands National Park
Point Pelee National Park
Wood Buffalo National Park

USA

Zion National Park
Grand Canyon National Park
Rocky Mountains National Park
Grand Teton National Park
Yellowstone National Park
Glacier National Park
Carlsbad Caverns National Park
Guadalupe Mountains National Park
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Badlands National Park
Chaco Canyon National Historical Park
White Sands National Monument
Saguaro National Monument
Devil's Tower National Monument

Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 PM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I have been to national parks in Botswana, South Africa, Israel, England, Australia, Ecuador, China and the USA for sure. Probably as a child with my parents I was also in national parks in France, Italy, Switzerland & Wales.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
United States: Grand Canyon, Death Valley
France: Pyrénées
Norway: Saltfjellet-Svartisen, Hardangervidda, Seiland, Rondane, Dovrefjell–Sunndalsfjella

Old 08-30-2013, 01:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I forgot Thailand and Malaysia, I can add those to my list upthread.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:43 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
France: Pyrenees, Cevennes, Ecrins, Mercantour and Calanques (before it became a park in 2012)

Germany: Eifel, Saxon Switzerland and Berchtesgaden

Italy: Stelvio

Netherlands: Hoge Veluwe and Oosterschelde

UK: Peak District, Lake District, Snowdonia, Dartmoor, Pembrokeshire Coast, North York Moors, Northumberland, New Forest, South Downs (before it became a park in 2009), Loch Lomond and Cairngorms

USA: Bryce Canyon, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree and Yosemite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World