Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 PM

371 posts, read 426,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I don't think hate crime statistics are the best way to determine how racist a country is for two reasons:

1) Many countries have very few racial minorities so they will automatically have less racially motivated hate crimes. It doesn't mean that the mindset of the people is less racist or xenophobic.
2) The definition of what constitutes a hate crime, the likelihood of victims reporting it, and the quality and reliability of data collection and preservation differs per country so it's hard to make comparisons in this regard.
Okay well what if we take peoples perceptions along with violent hate crimes into account. Still America #1, S. Africa #2, UK #3, Russia/Eastern European countries #4, Italy #5. I went to Madrid, Spain, which is 99% white and I got treated better there than I do in Washington DC and Im black. So I think it has more to do with historical circumstances/culture of racism, and the countries with the most inequalities historically, will most likely be the worst in current times; hence my list above...

Old 09-18-2013, 08:45 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,822,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Okay well what if we take peoples perceptions along with violent hate crimes into account. Still America #1, S. Africa #2, UK #3, Russia/Eastern European countries #4, Italy #5. I went to Madrid, Spain, which is 99% white and I got treated better there than I do in Washington DC and Im black. So I think it has more to do with historical circumstances/culture of racism, and the countries with the most inequalities historically, will most likely be the worst in current times; hence my list above...
Keep in mind America has a higher violent crime rate than a lot of other countries and it's the law is more willing to call something a 'hate crime.' I think it's not always easy to prove whether a crime was hate-motivated if someone claims otherwise. If a white man kills a black man, or a black man kills a white man, how can you prove it was motivated out of race? Most likely it was not. Those who think all interracial killings are hate crimes must be really dumb.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 PM

371 posts, read 426,671 times
Then one has to ask himself, why is america such a violent country? Is it because we are founded by sociopaths that raped and killed for profit and those people, like columbus reproduced spreading the disease of violence. Is it our lack of unity and culture? Is it hollywood or our media? Is it the lack of education?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:08 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,510,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
You don't even want to know how many things have been said to my friend (muslim) she lives in Sydney...Australia just isn't used to seeing blacks, Mexicans or muslims as much as Americans do, even Asians could be said. Yeah they have a lot of those immigrants...
LOL

I suppose you would be interested to know an Aussie is also close to three times more likely to be a muslim than an american

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-18-2013 at 10:05 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,822,132 times
Quote:
Then one has to ask himself, why is america such a violent country? Is it because we are founded by sociopaths that raped and killed for profit and those people, like columbus reproduced spreading the disease of violence. Is it our lack of unity and culture? Is it hollywood or our media? Is it the lack of education?
Maybe a history of rugged individualism, the right to bear arms, and the ghettoisation of certain racial/ethnic groups?

The difference in crime between say New Orleans and Vermont is like black and white (no pun intended!).

Old 09-19-2013, 02:20 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,989,593 times
Quote:
You don't even want to know how many things have been said to my friend (muslim) she lives in Sydney...Australia just isn't used to seeing blacks, Mexicans or muslims as much as Americans do, even Asians could be said. Yeah they have a lot of those immigrants...
According to the Census there is a higher percent of people in Australia that are Muslim than America. The percentage of Muslims in America is unusally small for a Western country. Even Canada has a higher percentage of Muslims than America.

Plus if Austraila is so racist how come the majority of people since the 1980s that immigrated here are from Asia? How come the number of Asian tourists have vastly increased through out the years? How come there are universities in my city that at least a half or a majority of them are Asian? In addition the previous Prime Minister of Australia two children married Asians.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:37 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,444,154 times
Quote:
I would like to see a link above for the percentages and numbers, I hear a race crime in my city like once a year, honestly Australia will take my vote, from going there I heard the craziest things and for some reason when you just start surfing YouTube you end of at a video is hate crime in Australia. lol I mean America is the most diverse country, so I expect people to be more racist in countries that don't see many immigrants. Also when you hear a race crime in America on the news or something you have to think well this country has 300,000 million people so probably not everyone is going to be like that...

What do you need to see precentages/numbers for? I thought you already determined the facts of the matter, based on your own opinion/personal experience/media. No?

Even in that thread, you named Japan at #1.

Most Racist First World Countries

Anyway, also from that thread:

Old 09-19-2013, 03:32 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,047,093 times
Quote:
I'd like to say its the United States.

"Racist anti-black bias is the most frequently reported hate crime motivation in the United States. Of the 8,208 hate crimes reported to the FBI in 2010, 48% were race related - with 70% of those having an anti-black bias.[7] Other frequently reported bias motivations were anti-Hispanic, anti-Jewish, anti-Islamic, anti-white, and against a person's sexual orientation.[7] At times, these bias motivations overlap, as violence can be both anti-gay and anti-black, for example.[8]"

Hate crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Second is probably Bosnia (they went through a racial cleansing only 20 years ago)
Third South Africa.
Fourth UK.

What is everyone else's opinions? I thought of this question in light of the Jonothan Ferrell shooting.
Jonathan Ferrell | Abagond
What do you base this assumption on? I can't see it myself.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:23 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,300,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm Asian Australian, lived here almost all my life (came here as a baby) and yes, I've witnessed a lot of the name calling/insults too. I don't deny there are plenty of ignorant/racist people here, but overall I don't think most Australians are racist, let alone violent about it. I rarely hear about racially motivated hate crimes, even on the news. We have tons of immigrants...if anything, it's immigrants that cause tension/resentment sometimes, although most Aussies here are accepting. I'm Asian myself but sometimes the place feels too Asian, haha, jk.

Australians are not at all politically correct , they tend not to be subtle when it comes to language , hence why they may be casually racist in a verbal manner but little real malice rests behind it

Old 09-19-2013, 07:15 AM

442 posts, read 801,216 times
Quote:
you have to think well this country has 300,000 million people
Did every Mexican bring their family in last night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World