Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:29 AM

7 posts, read 44,729 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I have just received my Permanent Residency in Australia and will receive the American Green Card by the end of this year.
I am from the Middle East and cannot decide on where to live, both countries are great and both are more like a dream coming true!! I have a lot of relatives and friends in the US (Atlanta, Seattle and New-york) while I know no one in Australia; therefore the US seems like a better choice, but my concern is finding a job. I know the unemployment rate in the US is much higher than that of Australia. I am a HR Manager at a multinational corporation. My husband is a Financial Controller at a multinational corporation as well. We both have a MBA from Spain and 9+ years of experience (and we are willing to compromise! not looking for fancy titles or similar positions )

Any advice?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
The United States sounds more appealing. Australia is too far away from your relatives and friends.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
It sounds like in the USA you will have better support system of friends and relatives to network with.
On the other hand, Australia has a higher quality of life and a better social system including a national health insurance system for its people (which the USA does not have).

Old 07-11-2012, 10:58 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
The unemployment rate in the U.S. for people with higher educational attainment levels and work experience is pretty low. I would choose the U.S.

Atlanta, Seattle and NYC are all good cities, but pretty different from one another. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The unemployment rate in the U.S. for people with higher educational attainment levels and work experience is pretty low. I would choose the U.S.

Atlanta, Seattle and NYC are all good cities, but pretty different from one another. It just depends on what you're looking for.
Thanks BigCityDreamer, I am not sure if you have any idea about the possibility for a new comer to find a job, it could be that the unemployment rate for highly educated people is low in the US, but for a new comer moving from the middle east, would they be considered for interviews and jobs? how important is the local experience? and where the person is coming from...

best regards
Alissar

Old 07-11-2012, 12:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
If you want to be closer to friends and relatives, choose the US.

Australia has a better healthcare system and a better social net.. US may have more job opportunities with more to see and do.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
If you want to be closer to friends and relatives, choose the US.

Australia has a better healthcare system and a better social net.. US may have more job opportunities with more to see and do.
Thanks Dunno why do you believe there are more job opportunities in the US?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
The US has the largest economy on earth - it has all sorts of industries ranging from car manufacturing, finance, art, design, media, politics - you name it, it's there. Then we have hubs of media like Los Angeles, hubs of software like Seattle, hubs of finance like New York, and hubs of IT like the Silicon Valley. Australia is rather isolated and its economy isn't as diversified as the US economy IMO.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissar View Post
Thanks BigCityDreamer, I am not sure if you have any idea about the possibility for a new comer to find a job, it could be that the unemployment rate for highly educated people is low in the US, but for a new comer moving from the middle east, would they be considered for interviews and jobs? how important is the local experience? and where the person is coming from...
Those are good questions of course. I'm not that qualified to give an informed response. But I think you just need to apply to employers in those cities/metro areas in the U.S. with positions in your field and see what responses you get. Send out LOTS of resumes with cover letters specific to each position you're applying for (they are very important). Use your contacts in the U.S. to help you network different companies. It's a time-consuming process, a full-time job in itself really.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Do you read the magazine, "The Economist"? (British) They have advertisements from corporations looking for talent like yours. It's a weekly, so there are new ads coming out all the time. You can also do an internet search to see what companies are in the US cities you list, then go to their websites to see what job openings they list. Microsoft and Boeing are in Seattle, among others. Your other option would be to simply go to the US and hire a professional head-hunter (as they're called) whose job it is to connect executive talent with the companies that need it. They take a fee from your first paycheck or two.

There's a large Middle-Eastern community in Seattle, I used to live in the middle of it, just two blocks from a beautiful little Mosque. Generally, Americans don't find Seattle to be very friendly, and you have to like rain and overcast weather, but if you already have a ready-made community and relatives there, it may work for you.

If you like nightlife and fine museums, NYC is for you. If you like a more peaceful (and green) environment, consider Seattle. Atlanta: hot, humid in the summers. Georgia: the South. It has a certain history. Ask your relatives there if they ever run into any problems.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World