Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live?
Thailand 25 48.08%
Poland 27 51.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

Thought it'd be an interesting comparison...I know not many ex-pats live in Poland, and quite a few in Poland, but say you had a relatively average life in each, with the same spending capacity.etc, which would you prefer to live in?

To make it easier let's say Bangkok or Warsaw, or rural Thailand or rural Poland.

For me I'd pick Thailand:

Pluses are warmer weather, better food, friendlier people, women (not the whoring part necessarily lol), nicer landscape, nicer beaches, more exciting entertainment, close to Asia

Reasons why one might pick Poland:

Higher GDP per capita (22k vs 12k), closer to Europe, in some ways more westernised/organised, if you prefer European to Asian women.

Cons of Thailand might be excess of tourists, people trying to cheat you, most people still poorer, traffic, tropical diseases and STD's, if you don't like heat and humidity/risk of typhoons

Cons of Poland would be cold and grey weather, depressive vibe: architecture, people, culture, food is uninspiring, cities seem uninspiring too, closed-minded, alcoholism and drug abuse an issue

Which would you choose overall and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 01:50 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Thailand.
There are more swedes living there.
I also have a friend who works as a teacher in Bangkok.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
If I were going to leave Canada for one of the two, it would be Thailand.

I'm not trading one "cold" place for another. At least we get alot of sun and nice hot summers here. Average summertime highs of 64F is not my idea of summer. Might as well stay in Canada and move to Yellowknife. lol

Thailand just seems like alot more fun.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:00 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Poland for me. Somewhere like Krakow or Gdansk.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:11 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
It used to be Thailand before stories like this were coming out.

American tourist who insisted on taking to the stage with a band in Thailand is stabbed to death by the musicians

Briton stabbed trying to save his 21-year-old girlfriend from biker gang sex attack in Thai beach resort

Jeremy Renner injured in bloody bar brawl knife attack in Thailand

Yeah, I'll take a long dreary winter in Poland.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:23 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Poland but to be honest I wouldn't want to live in Poland ever.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:23 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Poland.

I'm pretty sure I would never truly integrate in to Thailand. I would have to live in a big city, and it wouldn't be long before I got sick of Bangkok. I mean, tropical, party, exotic stuff is nice, but for me there's a limit. The far southeast of Asia doesn't appeal to me as much as it does most people. I think a lot of people are going to vote Thailand thinking living there is synoynmous with 'drunken vacation abroad in southeast Asia'.

In Poland I would be close to a bunch of countries and big cities, more familiar and comforting weather, the ability to travel freely, and enjoy a more familiar lifestyle. I'd rather live in Krakow over Warsaw though.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:32 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Also not sure how Polish cities are visually uninspiring. I'll take the aesthetics of Krakow, Warsaw, Poznan, or Gdansk over Bangkok. Hell, even over a lot of German cities.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:59 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,917 times
Actually, none of them due to the language issues.
Both Polish and Thai are nightmare languages for learning.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:45 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Thought it'd be an interesting comparison...I know not many ex-pats live in Poland, and quite a few in Poland, but say you had a relatively average life in each, with the same spending capacity.etc, which would you prefer to live in?

To make it easier let's say Bangkok or Warsaw, or rural Thailand or rural Poland.

For me I'd pick Thailand:

Pluses are warmer weather, better food, friendlier people, women (not the whoring part necessarily lol), nicer landscape, nicer beaches, more exciting entertainment, close to Asia

Reasons why one might pick Poland:

Higher GDP per capita (22k vs 12k), closer to Europe, in some ways more westernised/organised, if you prefer European to Asian women.

Cons of Thailand might be excess of tourists, people trying to cheat you, most people still poorer, traffic, tropical diseases and STD's, if you don't like heat and humidity/risk of typhoons

Cons of Poland would be cold and grey weather, depressive vibe: architecture, people, culture, food is uninspiring, cities seem uninspiring too, closed-minded, alcoholism and drug abuse an issue

Which would you choose overall and why?
Aha-haaa..)))
"Closer to Europe"?
Then where Poland is in your opinion, in Asia?

Poland of course, since it's a familiar European culture; Warsaw would be my preference, because I love big European cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World