Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather live in?
European Union 19 54.29%
U.S. 16 45.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:27 AM

484 posts, read 883,158 times

Advertisements

I would like to compare the US to the European Union. I'm sure it has been done before but these are the factors in which I would like to compare these two.

-Political Stability
-Religious, racial, gender, Lgbt equality
-Infrastructure
-Quality of life
-Economic stability
-Overall culture/way of life

Which one would you rather live in?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:36 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,346,679 times
So... Should we take Sweden or Bulgaria as a reference point for the European Union?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
These cannot all be lumped together into a single quality. Many countries have more gender and lgbt equality, but less religious or racial equality. Some have a state religion, most in the EU discriminate more than the USA does against immigrants, even through they are very high on gender and lgbt acceptance.

Obviously, a person is better off living in the country of which he is a ciitizen and/or a native.

My general impression is that people in Europe, overall, are much more contented with the amenities of their lifestyle than Americans. It is all so much more than just the sum of the parts listed in the OP. Americans have a sense that life is becoming more and more difficult with increasingly high bars to get over just to make it through life, and are pessimistic and disgruntled and using drugs to hide from that fact. In the EU, people have a sense that someone is in control of the ship, and is actually trying to avoid the icebergs, instead of aiming for them. At the very least, they understand and trust their countrymen, if not the whole EU, which I predict will come apart in the lifetime of most people. The feeling that if the EU collapses, we can all go back to being Danes and Greeks, and take care of our own, and everything will be OK again. Americans have no such theoretical safety net.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-29-2013 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-29-2013, 10:01 AM

276 posts, read 763,273 times
Quote:
I would like to compare the US to the European Union. I'm sure it has been done before but these are the factors in which I would like to compare these two.

-Political Stability
-Infrastructure
-Quality of life
-Economic stability

Do you think religious or racial issues are equal between, say, Mississippi and New York? then imagine 28 different countries where differences are much larger than what you find among US states. You get the idea, right? this is an unanswerable question.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:58 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:

-Political Stability
-Infrastructure
-Quality of life
-Economic stability

I prefer the American culture and way of life

Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,229 times
I prefer the EU, specifically where I live now, Scotland. Second choice would be France.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,229 times
I predict this is going to become yet another US vs EU bashing thread.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:37 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,386,074 times
EU 100% its more varied, cultured and foods more interesting The fact that you can choose over 27 countries and cultures is amazing, the whole point of the EU is in a way to become more progressive which is why Turkey wants to join the EU, human rights laws seem more strict in the EU, animal rights too.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:57 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,880 times
Both are pretty dismal. Europe is ideologically challenged with the sociocultural/demographic problems that entail from this. The USA is burdened with a malignant executive branch of government and a lame duck presidency. Both suffer from political ineptitude and pervasive systemic financial problems; either in the form of corruption and/or incompetence. On balance, I'd vote for a USA that somehow manages to redeem its foundational moral values, address its corruption, diminish big government and acquire a president manages to stay alive despite being burdened with a sense of justice and principle. Asking too much? Perhaps.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:17 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,293,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
So... Should we take Sweden or Bulgaria as a reference point for the European Union?
both are awful in their own way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World