Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:12 AM

401 posts, read 649,983 times

Advertisements

What do you think ? It seems to me that Americans have an obsession with Paris. Especially in TV Shows and movies, Paris is mentionned quite often, and they often talk about it as if it is some lovely charming little town whereas Paris is actually very harsh and cold.

Many people around the world like NYC even if they've never been there, but they have a realistic vision of it. Busy, loud, overwhelming. Yet people around the globe (and not only Americans to be honest) have that idealized vision of Paris.
Here's an article about the Paris Syndrome some Japonese tourists experience :
Elizabeth Zephyrine McDonough: 'Paris Syndrome' And The Shock Of The City Of Light
That's not happening to Americans because we share the same western culture of course, but their vision of Paris is also clearly flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 09:28 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
I thought Paris was awesome, it was actually much cooler than I thought it would be.

But no, I'm not obsessed with it.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
I don't know if it's an obsession rather than typical American lack of knowledge. Americans frequently lack knowledge about cities in our own country they've never been to so it only makes sense the same would happen with Paris or any other city. The thing I've noticed is when most Americans think of France, they're really thinking of Paris.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
What do you think ? It seems to me that Americans have an obsession with Paris.
Basically yes. Paris is the quintessential romantic city to Americans. But not only that, Paris has a mythological larger-than-life quality to Americans as well.

"Going to Paris" gets raised eyebrows from nearly everyone. People think you're about to have the time of your life. Nothing can quite compare to it. Having been to Paris myself, I can say that I quite enjoyed it. It's one of the best cities I've been to.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 AM

Somehow I wonder how Americans can appreciate Paris with all that unfriendlyness and 'rudeness'. Maybe if you just focus on visiting the N sites you wanted to see and then go back home after 5 days you might not realize the hostile environment in Paris. Especially if you don't venture ouside of the inner arrondissements.
I'm always amazed at the difference between what Americans (or the Japonese) have in mind when they think of Paris and the reality. I think it's the only city in the world with that kind of misconception. Maybe L.A too, but it's a different kind of misconception.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:32 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
I notice most who criticise Paris for the usual reasons (unfriendliness, dirtiness) seldom mention what makes Paris great, it's architecture, cafe culture, charm.etc. Maybe they're just the glass half empty types. Do rude people detract from the beauty of the buildings and the streets?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 AM

872 posts, read 1,385,649 times
In my experience, Parisians are generally fine. The service culture there is the problem in that it seems to be endemically rude.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:07 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
People here think Paris is THE city too. I don't get it. I've never been there but it's never been near the top of the list either. I just don't feel drawn to it, although I would like to eventually go.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:42 AM

I can tell you that there is a REAL rudeness problem in PARIS (not France in general). Just take the metro or the RER, go to a restaurant or a café, buy something at a store and you will experience that rudeness. I currently live in the Paris region so I can tell. In the states people are overfriendly, here they are the opposite.
Now if you ask for directions in French in a cute American/English accent, people might be pleased to help you.
Also, maybe if you don't understand the language you don't understand much what's going on and you don't perceive the rudeness.
But I wasn't only talking about the rudeness. The vibe in the city (which is great ouside of that rudeness problem) is quite different from what tourists have in mind.

Now I wonder why there is such a misconception which resulted in an obsession in the US or Japon.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:03 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
I find it annoying that people base there entire opinion of France on Paris. It is Like basing your entire view of the US on New York.

I have been to France often but never to Paris. I am an American but have been living in Germany now for 14 years with no plans to go back, My work has taken me to Alsace, Strasbourg is not far and I have been to Bretagne and Normandy several times. Only passed through the Mediterranean parts. Need to visit Paris soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World