Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 08:33 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
Is there a city with decent Saturday nightlife that isn't quiet at 9 am on a Sunday morning?
Well it's not like everyone is out partying, but yeah, weekend mornings usually aren't as busy. Some of the Asian cities might fit that definition though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 09:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
When I was growing up around 1950, the only thing open on Christmas was the bowling alley. It opened at noon, and it was very popular to go family bowling on Christmas afternoon.

A restaurant in my block is being renovated, and there are workers on the site at 10-am today, doing something out in the parking lot.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:04 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Off licences (alcohol shops) that's all that I can think of!

Old 12-25-2013, 10:13 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,493 times
Movie theatres

Old 12-25-2013, 12:03 PM

389 posts, read 692,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
All the shops owned by muslims...
You mean Jews? I thought Muslims celebrated Christmas. Jews don't recognize Jesus at all, but Muslims consider him an important prophet even if not the son of God.

Also, Starbucks in my area are open.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:38 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Asian restaurants, pharmacy chains like CVS, Walgreens, some regular supermarkets as well as Jewish owned grocery stores, etc. and movie theaters are all open on Christmas Day.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:50 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Some shops owned by Muslims and some ethnic restaurants. Besides that, only a few selected kiosks, pubs, corner shops and gas stations. Public transport has been completely halted since 1pm on Christmas Eve, most nightclubs will open tomorrow, some few today.

On Christmas Eve and Day this country is completely dead.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
You mean Jews? I thought Muslims celebrated Christmas. Jews don't recognize Jesus at all, but Muslims consider him an important prophet even if not the son of God.

Also, Starbucks in my area are open.
It's funny Jews and Muslims seem to be the two groups that generally don't celebrate Christmas, even in a very secular way, since they object to the Christian idea that Jesus was divine. I'm sure some do, anyway. But yeah, Muslims don't have a problem with Jesus the person himself, in fact they respect him as a prophet and believe he will return during the last days, while Jews probably think he was just another rabbi with grandiose ideas or didn't even exist. For atheists, I would say it varies, most probably just celebrate it culturally. For Buddhists, Hindus.etc in Asia it's mostly just a commercial thing anyway. But yeah, I doubt many Muslims 'celebrate' Christmas in the way we do.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNorth View Post
Muslims recognize Jesus as a prophet and messiah, but they do not celebrate Christmas as it is not an Islamic holiday. Many Muslim owned restaurants are open.

However, many Muslim countries decorate for Christmas.
Christmas decorations are almost an international thing.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:24 PM

531 posts, read 594,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's funny Jews and Muslims seem to be the two groups that generally don't celebrate Christmas, even in a very secular way, since they object to the Christian idea that Jesus was divine. I'm sure some do, anyway. But yeah, Muslims don't have a problem with Jesus the person himself, in fact they respect him as a prophet and believe he will return during the last days, while Jews probably think he was just another rabbi with grandiose ideas or didn't even exist. For atheists, I would say it varies, most probably just celebrate it culturally. For Buddhists, Hindus.etc in Asia it's mostly just a commercial thing anyway. But yeah, I doubt many Muslims 'celebrate' Christmas in the way we do.
Not that what's referred to as Christmas was a strictly Christian tradition to begin with in the first place. It was one of the many pre-Christian traditions carried over and 'Christianized' by the Roman Catholic Church. Originating from a collectivization of traditions such as the Pagan Blood Ceremony of Yule - which is why many biblical Christians don't celebrate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World