Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:40 AM

4,211 posts, read 4,465,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonISBACK View Post
It was announced the US unemployment rate is 6.7% while canada is at 6.9%, i have questions for everyone do you think the USA is lying, do you think the figures are different, will the numbers go down or go up for either of the countries? How about other countries like the UK, Sweden, France, Australia, Germany?
USA is lying see post #3. It's all how they decide to classify define and delineate. If someone is unemployed and then their 'unemployment' runs out. According to the way the USA BLS calculates unemployment these people just simply cease to be part of the data going forward. They 'statistically' evaporate.

Also, the vast majority of the unemployed have been 'transferred' (on nebulous definitions or outright fraud) to other government programs such as SSDI, Social Security and variety of other government welfare support programs.

As an aside, it is the same lies Wall Street uses to convince people equity investing returns 11% over long periods of time. It is known as survivorship bias. They conveniently do not track equities that cease being viable (they disappear from the denominator or universe of 'source data' set). It's a nice way to skew statistical data to look better to sell a story.

To see the unemployment rate for the US as it historically was calculated, see John Williams website Shadowstats. Basically, there are three numbers in the USA unemployment calculation. He continues to calculate the historic definition which at last glance was somewhere around 23 percent.

The other economic number that is vital to concentrate on the health of the USA economy is the median household income. These numbers have been stagnant and dropping for a few decades.

Much like Money supply, and printing of money into the system - and its deleterious effect - if a statistic doesn't tell a 'good' story it gets eliminated or 'conveniently' forgotten. See old M3 money supply number. This is the number that would show the continuous dilution of the dollars buying power by showing the total inventory in circulation, which has been more difficult to even calculate, based on how the Fed is propping up the US Financial Economic system (insolvent large banks). If the large banks had to mark to market for accounting, that is, value their assets - 'billions in bad mortgages and other financial vehicles at real values - they would be insolvent.

Here is an insightful 30 minutes to explain what is going on by a former top official. The more people understand the workings of the system the quicker we will get cogent dialogue instead of these "Pravda-esque" data reports from the USA.

Paul Craig Roberts-Fed Trapped by Money Printing - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 11:42 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,196,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
0% in Monaco
Of course. They only accept very rich people as citizens. Most Norwegians are not rich.

Monaco: 36,371 people. Area: 2.02 km² / 0.78 sq mi
Norway: 5,096,000 people. Area: 385,178 km² / 148,718 sq mi

Old 01-12-2014, 11:45 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,515,860 times
Quote:
It was announced the US unemployment rate is 6.7% while canada is at 6.9%, i have questions for everyone do you think the USA is lying, do you think the figures are different, will the numbers go down or go up for either of the countries? How about other countries like the UK, Sweden, France, Australia, Germany?
It's a 0.2% difference lol
USA has lots of baby boomers retiring so how we count unemployment rate is all screwed up. Not sure how Canada does it.

I think UK and France have slightly higher unemployment rates.

Unemployment has been slowly declining in all the countries I think.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,515,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Of course. They only accept very rich people as citizens. Most Norwegians are not rich.

Monaco: 36,371 people. Area: 2.02 km² / 0.78 sq mi
Norway: 5,096,000 people. Area: 385,178 km² / 148,718 sq mi
People on the politics forum think Norwegians are all Millioniares.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,604,933 times
Quote:
It's a 0.2% difference lol
USA has lots of baby boomers retiring so how we count unemployment rate is all screwed up. Not sure how Canada does it.

I think UK and France have slightly higher unemployment rates.

Unemployment has been slowly declining in all the countries I think.
Unemployment in the EU:

The UK will probably be below 7% soon if the current trend continues.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
People on the politics forum think Norwegians are all Millioniares.
They are uninformed and crazy . The average gross salary in Norway is only around $84,000.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,439,445 times
I'm not picking on Norway, but I was curious why it was so low, and found this article.

While I don't doubt that it's super low no matter what, is this accurate?

Unemployment rate ‘artificially low’

Norway has been boasting the lowest unemployment rate in Europe for months, but researchers now suggest the real numbers of Norwegians out of work are higher. Both the researchers and some opposition politicians think published jobless rates have been “artificially low.”
A new study reported by newspaper Aftenposten on Wednesday reveals that many people who have lost their jobs wind up on disability, because of subsequent health problems. Researchers note that three out of every 10 new cases of disability result from job losses.
That means unemployed persons are collecting disability payments instead of unemployment benefits, and thus don’t turn up in the unemployment rolls. Norway, meanwhile, has the highest rate of workers on disability in Europe

Old 01-12-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I'm not picking on Norway, but I was curious why it was so low, and found this article.

While I don't doubt that it's super low no matter what, is this accurate?

Unemployment rate ‘artificially low’

Norway has been boasting the lowest unemployment rate in Europe for months, but researchers now suggest the real numbers of Norwegians out of work are higher. Both the researchers and some opposition politicians think published jobless rates have been “artificially low.”
A new study reported by newspaper Aftenposten on Wednesday reveals that many people who have lost their jobs wind up on disability, because of subsequent health problems. Researchers note that three out of every 10 new cases of disability result from job losses.
That means unemployed persons are collecting disability payments instead of unemployment benefits, and thus don’t turn up in the unemployment rolls. Norway, meanwhile, has the highest rate of workers on disability in Europe
I am not sure if many are even willing to work. They are simply taking advantage of a generous welfare system. It is sad, annoying and extremely costly for us as taxpayers.

Unemployment benefit: 2 years maximum. You must have been employed 50% or more prior years.
Sick leave: 1 year maximum. Must be approved by a doctor. You must have been employed 50% or more prior years.
Disability payment: Must be approved by two doctors and NAV (government). It is a very lengthy process (3-4+ years or so).

Old 01-12-2014, 01:09 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,595,782 times
Quote:
Not good enough,comparison with Canada economy is not a serious indicator,plus those numbers may not reflect the reality of US economy.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:34 PM

168 posts, read 251,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Not good enough,comparison with Canada economy is not a serious indicator,plus those numbers may not reflect the reality of US economy.
Which is what exactly, what's going to happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World