Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:56 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've noticed an increase of blacks in Vancouver. I know some from Kenya and Ethiopia, but most of the black people I know have had some connection with the US, either parents or have moved here.
This is quite surprising to me too. Most Canadian blacks who have African-American roots are in Nova Scotia, and to a lesser degree in SW Ontario.

I guess maybe when the black community is small as in Vancouver you notice this stuff more, and the presence of even a smallish number of African-Americans can have a bigger impact on the community overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 02:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Didn't Jimi Hendrix live in Vancouver when he was a kid?
I believe he just visited his grandmother who lived here. There is a shrine

Vancouver’s Legendary Jimi Hendrix Shrine Now Open For Summer | Inside Vancouver Blog

I do remember going to a Diana Ross concert here in Vancouver in the 1980's and during her show she introduced Jimi's aunt I believe, mentioning that she had dinner at her house.

I think he lived in Seattle.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is quite surprising to me too. Most Canadian blacks who have African-American roots are in Nova Scotia, and to a lesser degree in SW Ontario.

I guess maybe when the black community is small as in Vancouver you notice this stuff more, and the presence of even a smallish number of African-Americans can have a bigger impact on the community overall.
Historically, but black people haven't stopped immigrating. The people I mentioned, like the entertainers, all immigrated here in the late 20th century. BC did get some early black settlers as well though. I'm not ignoring the history of when Canada had a racist immigration policy. Lifted in 1962.

Here's a bit of little known history about one of my favourite places on the planet. Salt Spring Island.

"About half of the first settlers were Blacks from San Francisco who had come to Victoria in 1858 seeking an environment in which they had the same rights as everyone else. Among the other settlers were Australians, other Americans, and Europeans who had come to Canada in search of gold. The early settlers also included a number of former Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) employees, including several Hawaiians who had been brought to the Pacific Northwest by the HBC; Japanese who came as fishermen and labourers; and more affluent immigrants from the British Isles. By 1895, the population was quite multicultural as the following analysis by the island's Anglican minister indicates:"

A Brief History Salt Spring Island

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-30-2016 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 10:51 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
Historically, but black people haven't stopped immigrating. The people I mentioned, like the entertainers, all immigrated here in the late 20th century. BC did get some early black settlers as well though. I'm not ignoring the history of when Canada had a racist immigration policy. Lifted in 1962.

Here's a bit of little known history about one of my favourite places on the planet. Salt Spring Island.

"About half of the first settlers were Blacks from San Francisco who had come to Victoria in 1858 seeking an environment in which they had the same rights as everyone else. Among the other settlers were Australians, other Americans, and Europeans who had come to Canada in search of gold. The early settlers also included a number of former Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) employees, including several Hawaiians who had been brought to the Pacific Northwest by the HBC; Japanese who came as fishermen and labourers; and more affluent immigrants from the British Isles. By 1895, the population was quite multicultural as the following analysis by the island's Anglican minister indicates:"

A Brief History Salt Spring Island

Interesting article. Those gulf Islands are full of interesting people from all over Canada and the USA. I want to visit all of those islands, maybe even move to one of them in the future.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Interesting article. Those gulf Islands are full of interesting people from all over Canada and the USA. I want to visit all of those islands, maybe even move to one of them in the future.
The islands are beautiful. Salt Spring is the one I know best. They are great getaways from Vancouver or Victoria.

Just stepping off the ferry you start to feel more relaxed, although Ganges on Saturday's when they have the farmer's market can be quite busy!

In keeping with the theme of this thread, I should mention that the islands are very liberal. There is a lake for nude swimming on Salt Spring and they even have a Gay Pride Parade in September.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:

]
You do have some African-Americans who move to Montreal and Toronto, but as stated before, the black communities in those cities are much larger and dominated by blacks of other origins, so their presence doesn't have much of an impact.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You do have some African-Americans who move to Montreal and Toronto, but as stated before, the black communities in those cities are much larger and dominated by blacks of other origins, so their presence doesn't have much of an impact.
You've lost me.

I thought we were discussing the black communities in Vancouver and BC in regards to me clarifying your statement that blacks in Canada with US connections were mostly in Nova Scotia etc. ??? I wasn't saying or trying to imply that the community was larger here.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
You've lost me.

I thought we were discussing the black communities in Vancouver and BC in regards to me clarifying your statement that blacks in Canada with US connections were mostly in Nova Scotia etc. ??? I wasn't saying or trying to imply that the community was larger here.
I am just saying that African-Americans stand out more in Vancouver because the black community is smaller.

In Toronto the black community vibe tends to be Caribbean dominated, with an increasing sub-Saharan African influence.

Montreal's is very Haitian, with the sub-Saharan African influence now seriously challenging the Haitian one which has dominated Montreal's black scene since the 1960s.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:34 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,285,733 times
Quote:
There are of course some from the Caribbean, I used to work with a woman from Haiti, but I have no idea how many there are, but there is Caribbean festival in North Vancouver each year, so there must be some presence..
I know a couple more Caribbean blacks folks, my aunt and uncle in New Westminster. So there is a West Indian community of some sort but it really is so small it may not register on most people's radar. My uncle used to always stock up on basic West Indian ingredients when visiting me in either Boston or Toronto. Basic stuff we find at our grocery stores that he was unable to find locally in Vancouver.

There is also a small community of white Jamaican retirees that settled in Victoria that we know. Including my now deceased Jewish Jamaican grandfather who lived there until his death with my grandmother. There were others that made up a small but tight knit community. But that is off topic but interesting nonetheless.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I know a couple more Caribbean blacks folks, my aunt and uncle in New Westminster. So there is a West Indian community of some sort but it really is so small it may not register on most people's radar. My uncle used to always stock up on basic West Indian ingredients when visiting me in either Boston or Toronto. Basic stuff we find at our grocery stores that he was unable to find locally in Vancouver.

There is also a small community of white Jamaican retirees that settled in Victoria that we know. Including my now deceased Jewish Jamaican grandfather who lived there until his death with my grandmother. There were others that made up a small but tight knit community. But that is off topic but interesting nonetheless.
I didn't know you had relatives in the lower Mainland !

They must know about this place in New West then? This made me smile. " We also stock African and Newfoundland foods."

Home

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-07-2016 at 05:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World