Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,579,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
To be fair immigrants (or descendants of non-Anglo immigrants) can be racist to. The most racist person i've ever met was funnily an American of Italian descent, who ranted about 'Jews, n****rs, f*gs.etc' for a few minutes...I've never heard such a vitriolic tirade from an Australian. Should I conclude from this example that Americans are racist?
Umm, why was that surprising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 10:13 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,423,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I was just thinking about how American categories of race and ethnicity are pretty broad.

They are white, black, Asian, Hispanic. These are typically the government categories and they are everywhere. They seem like stock categories that are pretty rigid in people's minds. I find people try to box people into these broad categories too much.

For a nation of immigrants and settlers, you would expect more nuanced categories on ethnic diversity. When people argue about diversity in the US, there is too much emphasis only on how many people as a percent are non-white. Almost every talking point is how many non-whites are there? How many blacks? How many Hispanics? How many Asians etc.

But there is so much more than that. A Nigerian is so much culturally different from a Somalian or Afro-Jamaican. An Indian Parsi is so much different from a Chinese Singaporean. Some people around city-data who are Canadians even mentioned Canadians have a more nuanced definition of diversity in ethnicity where culture is taken into account. Something I've heard too is that say a French-speaking Haitian is seen as more in common with a white French-Canadian while English-speaking Jamaicans have more in common with Anglo-Canadians, it's claimed, because there language is the main divider, not race. Doesn't language and culture trump physical appearance or at least sometimes?

Technically ethnicity takes into account culture, while race refers to appearance based on ancestry but other than Hispanics being Spanish speaking or having roots from Spanish colonies, few of the US race/ethnicity categories take into account cultural ties (eg. blacks are seen as just one group in the US regardless of culture or continent of origin, but Brits distinguish on their census Caribbean blacks and African blacks).

How are other country's ideas of ethnicity categories, like, or at least perceptions thereof?
Race and ethnicity are not well understood in the US. Many people even use the two terms, along with nationality interchangeably not knowing these words are not synonyms. The US has always been race based, not ethnic based although in more recent times, that has begun to change a bit. Cajuns are now recognized as an ethnic group. Black Caribbeans still aren't but perhaps they should be.

Hispanic is one that can get you into trouble. Mexicans, this includes those many call Mexican-Americans, do not like the term Hispanic. This term lumps people together from the Spanish speaking world who often only have language in common but little else. Mexicans, both immigrants and US born prefer the term "Mexican". To them it isn't just a nationality. It identifies them culturally. Basically they use it like an ethnic term despite the fact that Mexican isn't recognized in the US as an ethnicity, perhaps one day it might.

I think it's kept this way largely because to break it down would make a bewilderingly long list. just from the two regions in California I've lived in, right of the top of my head I can name the following:

Blacks:
African-American
Samalian
Ethiopian
Sudanese
Eritrean
Nigerian

Hispanics:
Mexican
Salvadoran
Puero Rican
Chilean
Panamanian
Cuban
Colombian

Asians:
Chinese (including; Cantonese, Mandarin and Hmong)
Vietnamese
Japanese
Cambodian
Laotian
Thai
Korean

Filipino

Pacific Islanders:
Hawaiian
Guamanian
Tongan
Somoan

Whites:
White American
Russian
Italian

Native Americans:
Too many to name. Some are extinct.

This is just pulled out of the air for California only. It would be very frustrating trying to break this down for the entire country.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,689,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Race and ethnicity are not well understood in the US. Many people even use the two terms, along with nationality interchangeably not knowing these words are not synonyms. The US has always been race based, not ethnic based although in more recent times, that has begun to change a bit. Cajuns are now recognized as an ethnic group. Black Caribbeans still aren't but perhaps they should be.

Hispanic is one that can get you into trouble. Mexicans, this includes those many call Mexican-Americans, do not like the term Hispanic. This term lumps people together from the Spanish speaking world who often only have language in common but little else. Mexicans, both immigrants and US born prefer the term "Mexican". To them it isn't just a nationality. It identifies them culturally. Basically they use it like an ethnic term despite the fact that Mexican isn't recognized in the US as an ethnicity, perhaps one day it might.

I think it's kept this way largely because to break it down would make a bewilderingly long list. just from the two regions in California I've lived in, right of the top of my head I can name the following:

Blacks:
African-American
Samalian
Ethiopian
Sudanese
Eritrean
Nigerian

Hispanics:
Mexican
Salvadoran
Puero Rican
Chilean
Panamanian
Cuban
Colombian

Asians:
Chinese (including; Cantonese, Mandarin and Hmong)
Vietnamese
Japanese
Cambodian
Laotian
Thai
Korean

Filipino

Pacific Islanders:
Hawaiian
Guamanian
Tongan
Somoan

Whites:
White American
Russian
Italian

Native Americans:
Too many to name. Some are extinct.

This is just pulled out of the air for California only. It would be very frustrating trying to break this down for the entire country.
Many of the Hispanics you name are also Black, not to mention the possibility of them being White, Asian, native American or some combination of the above.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Many of the Hispanics you name are also Black, not to mention the possibility of them being White, Asian, native American or some combination of the above.
Classic example of confusing race with ethnicity. I was specifically speaking about ethnicity, not race.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Classic example of confusing race with ethnicity. I was specifically speaking about ethnicity, not race.
I'm not confusing anything. You mention racial groups and have people grouped into different categories. If you want to do that, you cannot have any Hispanic group in your same list of racial categories.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm not confusing anything. You mention racial groups and have people grouped into different categories. If you want to do that, you cannot have any Hispanic group in your same list of racial categories.
You obviously do not understand what's happening here.

It was mentioned that America is a race based country rather than an ethnic based one. It was also mentioned early in the thread (if you read it) that ethnicity based on language and culture is a better way to group people rather than by racial groups based on skin color so I didn't think I'd find myself explaining this. Therefore, I broke down the racial categories as they are generally used in the US and identified the ethnic groups that those broad racial categories cover. Because of that, there will be some overlap. Two people with the same skin color are not always the same ethnicity. Therefore I can include Hispanic because HISPANIC IS NOT A RACE! Hispanic is and ethnic term created mainly in the US to describe Spanish speaking people irrespective of their race, nationality or ethnicity.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,471,994 times
^ I see what you mean, and that's actually a very important distinction, that the U.S. does have a remarkable array of "cultures", which easily transcend patterns of 'race' and 'ethnicity'. For example good luck trying to find much in common between asians in NYC's Chinatown, and asians in Silicon Valley. And even though they're both "hispanic", there are huge cultural (and political) differences between, say, Mexican- and Cuban-Americans. So big deal, Canada has the French… but even they wanna have their own country, instead of 'diversity'!

Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
You obviously do not understand what's happening here.

It was mentioned that America is a race based country rather than an ethnic based one. It was also mentioned early in the thread (if you read it) that ethnicity based on language and culture is a better way to group people rather than by racial groups based on skin color so I didn't think I'd find myself explaining this. Therefore, I broke down the racial categories as they are generally used in the US and identified the ethnic groups that those broad racial categories cover. Because of that, there will be some overlap. Two people with the same skin color are not always the same ethnicity. Therefore I can include Hispanic because HISPANIC IS NOT A RACE! Hispanic is and ethnic term created mainly in the US to describe Spanish speaking people irrespective of their race, nationality or ethnicity.
OK, whatever. I know that Hispanic is not a race, because I am a Hispanic - a Hispanic who is black.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ I see what you mean, and that's actually a very important distinction, that the U.S. does have a remarkable array of "cultures", which easily transcend patterns of 'race' and 'ethnicity'. For example good luck trying to find much in common between asians in NYC's Chinatown, and asians in Silicon Valley. And even though they're both "hispanic", there are huge cultural (and political) differences between, say, Mexican- and Cuban-Americans. So big deal, Canada has the French… but even they wanna have their own country, instead of 'diversity'!
At least you get it. There are even differences between the different Chinese in the Bay Area. Those in Silicon Valley are mainly Mandarin where as those in San Francisco and Oakland are Cantonese. These two groups are as different as any two groups can be and they are both considered Chinese! Diversity in the US is staggering especially among languages. Just in California alone:
Quote:
Over 200 languages are known to be spoken and read in California, with Spanish used as the state's "alternative" language. California has more than 100 indigenous languages, making California one of the most linguistically diverse areas in the world.
California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is just one state. If the entire country's numbers were given this number would be much much higher. If this isn't diversity then diversity simply doesn't exist.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:22 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,471,994 times
Exactly, and countries like Canada and Australia are also pretty 'new' at 'diversity' anyway, so it's still a "big deal" for them, with plenty of "atta boys" along the way… simply because they've recently managed to cope with a large influx of "furiners" (who BTW have been a huge improvement on the typically bland Brit. cooking)! When in fact the history of the U.S. is almost entirely made up of one huge wave of immigrants after another…. "give us your poor and huddled masses" indeed!?!

And naturally bragging about 'diversity' is always lots easier when you have the luxury of way less population density than the U.S., or even most other countries. But start pushing 'em closer together, and let's hear about your vaunted "diversity" then!

Which reminds me of traveling around British Columbia shortly after 9/11, when even in 'cosmopolitan' Vancouver, the anti-muslim sentiment there was so common (and so nasty), that it woulda made any 'xenophobe' proud!

Last edited by mateo45; 01-30-2014 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: spell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World