Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:44 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I also want to know if it is true!! I was shocked to hear it. She had worked in Australia for a year already and told me what she learned.

That's why I hope to verify it here.
I think your friend is just pretty gullible and should check her facts before believing everything she hears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
Can we please stop with the "scolding" and all the "righteous indignation" whenever folks disagree or are simply misinformed?!

Look, no question we all have some amount of prejudice in our respective cultures & histories. But despite all the good 'intentions', things don't just change 'overnite'. And regardless whatever the laws re: killing aborigines, they're not that hard to believe when the Australian government didn't recognize Aborigines' right to citizenship until 1967 (even Native-Americans have enjoyed citizenship for nearly a century now).

Just like there's apparently a changing trend these days to even being proud of having a "convict" in your ancestry! Though we all know that's a fairly recent trend, and it was not always thus.

Geez, I wasn't aware that Aussies were so "sensitive"?!

Old 01-30-2014, 12:56 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
No, not at all. But if you followed the thread, I do object to the notion that Australian culture has no racism, simply because it doesn't fit some folks "national self-image", or just because the census possibly doesn't choose to include "race" as a question. BTW, we have a lot of experience with that kinda "De Nile" here, especially in the American South, which continues to deny any 'problems', even when various Southern 'celebrities' appear in national media and make blatantly racist comments.
There is racism but I think it is no more than most countries. The racism here is just by individuals and not accepted across general society. I think Australians are more likely to admit to things and be honest more than in some other societies where there is a lot of PC and you have a underlying feeling of racism. At least people are more open and willing to talk about certain subjects here. In all truthfulness I find Australians quite a tolerant people on the whole.

I always find it a bit perplexing when people claim Australians are a racist people. I'm wondering if people are forming their opinions from reading about how Aboriginal people were treated? Maybe it is because Aussies are more forward with their views and opinions?

Where do people get their perception of Australians being a racist people? It is not really logical when Australia gets a lot of her population from other parts of the world. Most Australians have recent descent from other countries. Why would they be particularly racist?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I heard a rumor from a French friend while backpacking in Thailand that Australia only made the killing of an aboriginal illegal about 10 years ago. Before that, you could kill an aboriginal and it would not be illegal.

Is this true?
That's just crazy and really "out there". All I can say is that some people would believe anything. It's like something out of a horror movie.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
There is racism but I think it is no more than most countries. The racism here is just by individuals and not accepted across general society. I think Australians are more likely to admit to things and be honest more than in some other societies where there is a lot of PC and you have a underlying feeling of racism. At least people are more open and willing to talk about certain subjects here. In all truthfulness I find Australians quite a tolerant people on the whole.

I always find it a bit perplexing when people claim Australians are a racist people. I'm wondering if people are forming their opinions from reading about how Aboriginal people were treated? Maybe it is because Aussies are more forward with their views and opinions?

Where do people get their perception of Australians being a racist people? It is not really logical when Australia gets a lot of her population from other parts of the world. Most Australians have recent descent from other countries. Why would they be particularly racist?
To be fair immigrants (or descendants of non-Anglo immigrants) can be racist to. The most racist person i've ever met was funnily an American of Italian descent, who ranted about 'Jews, n****rs, f*gs.etc' for a few minutes...I've never heard such a vitriolic tirade from an Australian. Should I conclude from this example that Americans are racist?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
To be fair immigrants (or descendants of non-Anglo immigrants) can be racist to. The most racist person i've ever met was funnily an American of Italian descent, who ranted about 'Jews, n****rs, f*gs.etc' for a few minutes...I've never heard such a vitriolic tirade from an Australian. Should I conclude from this example that Americans are racist?
No that's why I said there is individual racism but as a society I don't think Australia is racist. Yes racism can be exhibited by all types of people.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
No that's why I said there is individual racism but as a society I don't think Australia is racist. Yes racism can be exhibited by all types of people.
Yes. People will remember the 1 example of someone being racist to them and forget to 100 examples of people not being racist.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Yes I think they do. Like americans call Mexicans white were as I call them tan.
A minority of Mexicans are white - most are mestizo or indigenous.

Quote:
I must say though that I was surprised when I watched a latest epidsode of the Real housewives of beverilly hills and Joyce Giraud de Ohoevon said she was black! She also said that Puerto ricans were Indian, Spanish and black.
Well, everything Joyce said was correct. Joyce is, like most Puerto Ricans, a triracial mix of Spanish, Native (Taino) and African. She says she is black probably because she is aware of direct ancestors of hers who are black.

So there's no reason to be surprised. I don't understand the emoticons.

Quote:
Maybe some americans see hispanic as black aswell.
Some people from Latin America, including many PR, Dominicans, Cubans and coastal South and Central Americans, are of bi- or triracial mixed or predominant African origin. Those Hispanic/Latinos who show black appearance - or those who identify as such - are thought of as black. Those who do not are not considered black.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think the idea of 'race' was actually invented, or largely popularised, in the United States. Of course people have always realised that people from elsewhere look different, but this idea of categorising them into 'white' (the very name 'white'), black, yellow, red, brown began largely in the 18th and 19th century by 'race scientists', partly to justify slavery and persecution of other groups. Prior to this ethnicity identity was far more about language, religion, geography and other customs.

But yes, the US is very 'race-based.' In Australia we don't even classify folk by 'race', just stats like place of birth, language, ancestry.etc in order to ascertain ethnicity. I think, however, that 'ancestry and ethnicity and nationality' are often interchangeable here, and there is a tendency to group people as 'Asian' or whatever. Also the fact the US is pretty monocultural, that people think people with pretty much the same or similar culture but looking different is 'cultural diversity or multiculturalism.' A Korean American born in America has far more in common culturally with a Polish American than either has with someone from Korea or Poland.
Would American immigrants to Australia be considered just Americans (American-Australians)? Or would their ethnic origins be considered?

I think you may be right about the Korean American though.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:24 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
Quote:
Dunno whether that's true, but it's a good question re: "perceptions". Folks often suggest that Aussie culture is most like American culture. But which "American" culture… "Kalifornia", "New Yawkers", "Southerners", etc.?

I'd submit that Australia actually most resembles the American South, in ancestry, culture, values, and even language & mannerisms to some extent. And accurately or not, in movies and popular western culture, we often just tend to unconsciously associate "racism" with Southern culture & 'provinciality' (aka, "you ain't from around here, are 'ya boy?"). Also the U.S., Australia, and South Africa are unique among the former Brit. colonies, in having a large population of conspicuous "brown folks" which they've had to struggle to 'integrate'… with no small amount of international attention along the way!

credit: @Aboriginaloz Blog/Leunig
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World