Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:20 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,405 times

Advertisements

Some people even go so far as to claim that diasporic communities overseas strengthen ties between the country that they reside in and their motherland (so, for instance, an Indian-Brit community helps Britain do business with India, or Chinese-Australian community helps Australia do business with China), are a boon for both parties, and lead to economic and political benefits.

The world economy: The magic of diasporas | The Economist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
... since the vast majority of Jews have more recent ancestry from Europe not Israel.
You may want to do a fact check since the vast majority of Jews in the US are not from Eastern European ancestry. BTW Europe is numerous countries and Israel is one. The only ones who may have some left over ties to Europe are the 80,000 that arrived after WW2 and the Russian wave in the 1970's. Past that there are traditions that were passed down based on regions and not specific countries. If anything it's the vast minority of Jews who came from the Levant (including Israel) who still feel a connection to that region.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:00 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You may want to do a fact check since the vast majority of Jews in the US are not from Eastern European ancestry. BTW Europe is numerous countries and Israel is one. The only ones who may have some left over ties to Europe are the 80,000 that arrived after WW2 and the Russian wave in the 1970's. .
Aren't the vast majority of American Jews Ashkenazi and therefore of Central European origin?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Aren't the vast majority of American Jews Ashkenazi and therefore of Central European origin?
I'd imagine so... otherwise, where did all that Yiddish influence in American culture come from?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:15 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
This is the other side of the debate. Diaspora Italians can be quite attached to Italy (and this includes Italian-Americans, even if they aren't big on the World Cup), but Italy isn't really attached to them - which is the real OP question.
Good point, but MP was talking about how Italian Americans identify, but yes, most Italians think of them as more American than Italians.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
You may want to do a fact check since the vast majority of Jews in the US are not from Eastern European ancestry. BTW Europe is numerous countries and Israel is one. The only ones who may have some left over ties to Europe are the 80,000 that arrived after WW2 and the Russian wave in the 1970's. Past that there are traditions that were passed down based on regions and not specific countries. If anything it's the vast minority of Jews who came from the Levant (including Israel) who still feel a connection to that region.
I didn't say Eastern Europe, I said Europe. I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
That's interesting. How long ago did the ancestors of these Chinese arrive?
In different waves. The Chinese have a very long history in Southeast Asia, although large-scale migration probably did not begin until about 1500. The Philippines was one of the first destination (due to proximity) and Manila actually has the oldest Chinatown in the world. I don't know if you know but the Dai also came from China, the cultural founders of Thai civilisation, who appropriated a lot of native Khmer/local culture in the Chao Phraya and central Thai plain. They were just not very/as sinicised. Chinese who had more 'Han' culture began coming early on, and were already prominent during the reign of Rama I, himself part Chinese. There is a huge gap between these early ones and later Chinese immigrants.

In Malaysia, although they came a long time ago the main waves were during the area dominated by the Sultans and then British rule. The earliest came from Fujian province, and are more integrated into Malaysian culture. The Peranakan I mentioned are a good example. Baba/Nyonya, of which I have heritage, are well known in Penang, Melaka, Singapore. Later on, a lot of labourers from Guangdong came to work on the tin mines and in agriculture, and founded cities like Kuala Lumpur, Taiping and Ipoh. Singapore has had a long population. Immigration from China continues today, but they are very different to the 'Malaysian Chinese'. How segregated the Chinese are varies on a lot of things, but their culture is still quite distinct from China or the Malays in Malaysia for that matter, being a sort of blend (although not as much as the Baba/Nyonya).

Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar also all have large Chinese communities. Kolkata in India used to have a decent Chinese communities, although it's dwindled to a few thousand now I believe. There are still Chinese Indians who are culturally Indian and speak Bengali or Hindi as their lingua franca.

Vietnam and Korea are an interesting case, since these areas were more profoundly influenced by Chinese culture. Of course Chinese in Vietnam have a very long history, but that's another story. One shouldn't also forget the half a million Chinese who live in Japan. Yokohama has a pretty big Chinatown.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Historically? They were Sephardic. So I guess their true source country would be Spain in the 1400's.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I didn't say Eastern Europe, I said Europe. I'm pretty sure this is the case.
Europe is not a single country either.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Europe is not a single country either.
I didn't say that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World