Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who?
San Francisco 24 44.44%
Montreal 24 44.44%
Same or can't compare 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:28 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,872,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
San Francisco didn't make same-sex marriage illegal. California did.

Half of San Francisco is gay. It's been heavily gay since WWII ended. It's where the 60s and Flower Children were born. It's where AIDS began awareness and been in the front wars for fighting it for 4 decades.

I'm not saying Montreal isn't liberal. But, you really know nothing about San Francisco at all. You also can't compare Washington DC's federal politics or Sacramento's state politics, to somehow claim that San Francisco is NOT liberal because of DC or Sacramento.

You'll have to visit SF, it seems very clear from your post, that you haven't been.
Sure I've been to San Fransisco. I haven't intended to "somehow claim San Fransisco it is NOT liberal", but only that it is not as liberal as Montreal.

The fact is, gay marriage was legal in Montreal long before San Fransisco. Whether this is relevant is up to the reader to decide. I truly apologize if I've offended you in anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 12:05 PM

168 posts, read 252,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
So you must consider giving black Americans equal rights to whites a conservative and draconian measure. Just like in Canada, the new laws really ruined the "good old days" when the French Canadians were subordinate to the English.

Things like white store owners being forced by the government to serve black customers, that's a conservative measure. And the federal government forcing the integration of schools, even sending in the police and national guard to enforce the law - the Liberals hated that conservative measure, right?. Majority white schools are forced to observe black history month in February, another conservative measure. Affirmative Action, don't forget about that, that's another measure that is wildly popular with conservatives and despised by Liberals, right?

What you are saying is like the above but in the Canadian context. It makes no sense. Conservatives in Canada are against Quebec's actions, while Liberals support it. Conservative Americans would most certainly, without a doubt, oppose Quebec's actions, while Liberals would support it. You've got conservatism and liberalism all backwards.
You're comparing the French to slaves? First of all French isn't a race, second of all they weren't owned by anyone, and they weren't having their civil rights encumbered by anyone. And no I don't actually think American liberals would support language laws and language police like Quebec has enacted. We tend towards liberalizing policies and being inclusive rather than making them draconian and closed, which apparently is how Canadian liberals think. It's also the whole reason why the liberals in the US are so opposed to all the English official language legislation, because it closes the door to other languages not opens up the society to multiculturalism.

Quebec had an issue with the English language but instead of making it so English and French, and Swahili, and Hindu, Hebrew, Mandarin, and Russian or whatever other language you want could co-exist, they said only French is legal, and everything else is illegal and will get you in trouble with the language police, that's not liberal at all.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:09 PM

108 posts, read 154,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Sure I've been to San Fransisco. I haven't intended to "somehow claim San Fransisco it is NOT liberal", but only that it is not as liberal as Montreal.

The fact is, gay marriage was legal in Montreal long before San Fransisco. Whether this is relevant is up to the reader to decide. I truly apologize if I've offended you in anyway.
Just because it was legal first doesn't make it more liberal, most of americans are for gay rights but most of the states have not legalized it.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:43 PM

26,907 posts, read 38,213,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Half of San Francisco is gay.
This isn't even remotely close to being true. It's not even 25%.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
You're comparing the French to slaves? First of all French isn't a race, second of all they weren't owned by anyone, and they weren't having their civil rights encumbered by anyone. And no I don't actually think American liberals would support language laws and language police like Quebec has enacted. We tend towards liberalizing policies and being inclusive rather than making them draconian and closed, which apparently is how Canadian liberals think. It's also the whole reason why the liberals in the US are so opposed to all the English official language legislation, because it closes the door to other languages not opens up the society to multiculturalism.

Quebec had an issue with the English language but instead of making it so English and French, and Swahili, and Hindu, Hebrew, Mandarin, and Russian or whatever other language you want could co-exist, they said only French is legal, and everything else is illegal and will get you in trouble with the language police, that's not liberal at all.
You are very confused. First of all there is no ''language police''. You're just buying into the rhetoric of a certain fringe of the anglo community by using that term.

As you are by saying English and other languages are ''illegal''. They aren't illegal at all, and what the law says n most cases is simply that you can't ignore French and pretend it doesn't exist. You can serve your customers in English or whatever, have signs in those languages. But you can't refuse service in French.

The main effect of the language laws and policies has been that, contrary to what has been the case in the past, things have become more complicated for those in Quebec who would try and impose the use of English on the majority.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You are very confused. First of all there is no ''language police''. You're just buying into the rhetoric of a certain fringe of the anglo community by using that term.

As you are by saying English and other languages are ''illegal''. They aren't illegal at all, and what the law says n most cases is simply that you can't ignore French and pretend it doesn't exist. You can serve your customers in English or whatever, have signs in those languages. But you can't refuse service in French.

The main effect of the language laws and policies has been that, contrary to what has been the case in the past, things have become more complicated for those in Quebec who would try and impose the use of English on the majority.
I can't remember their name right now, but there's a whole police force that goes out and patrols places to make sure that there are no English signs. In college I had this elective like North American politics, and for my project I got assigned Quebec, so I've done my research. They made English illegal, it went all the way up to Canada's Supreme Court and they ruled that it wasn't unconstitutional, so now you have places even in Montreal where you won't find any English, or anything in any other language but French because the language police patrols come through. So if you'are asking me which is a more liberal city the one that has laws that make it illegal to use languages other than French, or one that doesn't care and embraces diversity of all facets, of course you've gotta go with SF.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,563,615 times
Quebec language police crackdown on Italian restaurant, Buonanotte | National Post

Old 02-23-2014, 02:13 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,478,299 times
It's not a police force, fellas.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:22 PM

Our American friends might want to check out my location if they think they know Quebec better than me.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Our American friends might want to check out my location if they think they know Quebec better than me.
Yes, I saw your location, but you never provided any sources, while when I did my project on Quebec, I had to find sources from newspapers, magazines, and other media. So it boils down to you saying that journalists were wrong, but you aren't providing any evidence to the contrary, so what I'm supposed to just take your word on it?

EDIT: And btw when I Google Quebec language police this is what comes up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_...fran%C3%A7aise I'm pretty sure it's the same thing I read about in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World