Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 PM

156 posts, read 287,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I noticed that in South Korea as well. Much of Asia, actually.

Vietnam really summed it up for me. I went to some random place, can't recall why I was there, but one of the side things was a bear on a bicycle. The locals were howling with laughter watching a bear on a bike and if it fell or did anything that looked painful, the laughter really went up.

Meanwhile, every white person was in complete and utter shock.
Interesting observation. I attribute the laughing at inappropriate stuff to general ignorance and a deeply-entrenched concept of what is supposed to be funny in different countries (Vietnam in this instance). There are things that we think we just don't make light of but perhaps culture has a different way of granting permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I noticed that in South Korea as well. Much of Asia, actually.

Vietnam really summed it up for me. I went to some random place, can't recall why I was there, but one of the side things was a bear on a bicycle. The locals were howling with laughter watching a bear on a bike and if it fell or did anything that looked painful, the laughter really went up.

Meanwhile, every white person was in complete and utter shock.
I laugh when people get hurt, but a bear on a bicycle? i'd laugh at that if i was 5.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What's humour like in your country?

Probably no different from your country, people laugh at things they find funny.
I feel humour differences between countries are exaggerated. Some act like Americans 'don't get' British humour or something, which is for the most part nonsense.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:10 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ Both American and British comedy, and Aussie comedy, is popular here. Lately though it seems there aren't many good ones on: you know it when the most popular is The Big Bang Theory and you have awful shows like 'Two Broke Girls' on.

Just recently the IT Crowd is one good one among many great British comedies.

For some reason Aussie sitcoms didn't really last the test of time, there was Hey Dad...Australian humour tends to be low-brow, not always particularly intelligent, a lot of panel/skit type shows, from Full Frontal/Fast Forward to a spate of them about 10 years ago. Of course there's the observational humour of Kath'n'Kim and Chris Lily's various projects.
For Australian humour, D gen or The Late Show.

Still quote late show - very funny stuff.

Loved the Martin Molloy show radio show too.

As for American sitcoms; only Seinfeld. The rest is just not funny to me. I lasted about 2.5seconds into that 2.5 men show.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:56 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

As for American sitcoms; only Seinfeld. The rest is just not funny to me. I lasted about 2.5seconds into that 2.5 men show.
What about 'Just Shoot Me'? I found that pretty funny.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:00 AM

598 posts, read 956,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

I also loved Tony Martins radio show Get This, I've got every episode on mp3.

Get This: Rex hunt album sketch with video - YouTube

Old 02-25-2014, 02:09 AM

598 posts, read 956,274 times
This is dizzy stuff folks, if this doesn't make you laugh your not Australian.

Rex Hunt's Address To The Nation Part 1 - YouTube

Rex Hunt's Address To The Nation Part 2 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World