Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

Oh, a separate thread now

There is a good summary of the differences on Wiki:
Comparison of American and British English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have not read every word, but I can confirm a lot of the things mentioned there. I have no interest in discussing individual examples (actually I don't even feel like wasting more time on this entire topic) as that would only make a few people come and claim that this or that does not apply to them and thus the differences do not exist People should believe what they want, any language expert knows the differences...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:23 PM

581 posts, read 970,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is no such thing as 'American English', its just 'English', just because you can't spell 'some' words properly doesn't make it a different language! . There is also no such thing as Australian English - if you think there is then perhaps you could repeat your post but this time using 'English English' and then again using 'Australian English'? It looks to me like EVERY word you used is just 'English' (including the term soccer which is actually an 'English English' word).
Yes, there is a such thing as American English, British English, Australian English, Jamaican English, etc.
They're called dialect sets, and they exist.
It's like African American English vs Boston English, or Estuary vs Cockney, just on a much larger scale. These are dialects, the larger group of which they are a part is a dialect set, and all the dialect sets together are the language.

Also, written language is standardized. You may or may not be able to tell where i'm from based on my writing, because of standardization. If I actually spoke to you, more than likely you would have a good idea of where i'm from.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:45 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
There may be the odd slang word, there may be a different accent but it is exactly the same language, If American English is a different language then I ask you to 'translate' your sentence from English to 'American English', I would like to see the difference.
The only one saying it's a different language is you. Most of the rest of us understand it as different forms of the same language.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Whats that got to do with anything? Are you suggesting that if an Argentinian learns English from an English English teacher or an Australian English teacher they are going to be taught that particular sentence? Somebody has suggested that people learn either English English or American English - they don't, they just learn English if they pick-up regional slang then thats exactly what it is - regional slang, it has nothing to do with a 'different' language and slang can vary from area to area let alone from country to country, saying people speak 'American English' is a bit like saying people speak 'Yorkshire English' or 'Oregon English'. If you want to start claiming that 'American English' is some kind of seperate language then perhaps you should change the words and just call it 'American'.
Hahaha this post is hilarious. I can't speak for Argentinians but I can for Mexicans and yes, many say that they have a hard time understanding British people when they encounter them. When they learn English, they learn it the way it is spoken here. The differences are not apparent to you because you're a native speaker.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
OK perhaps we should try, I think that the translation would be pretty much identical (might vary slightly but not necessarily from national to national but just from person to person), honestly there is no difference between the language an American, Australian or Briton speaks, only varying levels of grammer from person to person not from national to national.
Let's try this:

Ich habe vielen dingen für ihnen. Du kannst alles von mir haben, doch es lueft nichts ohne mich.

Inbox me your translations and we'll see what happens.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:35 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Hahaha this post is hilarious. I can't speak for Argentinians but I can for Mexicans and yes, many say that they have a hard time understanding British people when they encounter them. When they learn English, they learn it the way it is spoken here. The differences are not apparent to you because you're a native speaker.
The topic is about the written structure of English, not spoken English. It is highly unlikely that a Mexican fluent in English would be able to tell the difference between written British and American English solely based on sentence structure. Even native English speakers can not do this. This assertion is about sentence structure, not spelling or the spoken word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Let's try this:

Ich habe vielen dingen für ihnen. Du kannst alles von mir haben, doch es lueft nichts ohne mich.

Inbox me your translations and we'll see what happens.
The challenge to translate a German sentence is unnecessary as it does not relate to the topic of differences between written English dialects.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
The written forms have some differences, but they aren't major. If you're talking accents, well there are many British and American accents...especially the British ones sound very different from each other.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
The topic is about the written structure of English, not spoken English. It is highly unlikely that a Mexican fluent in English would be able to tell the difference between written British and American English solely based on sentence structure. Even native English speakers can not do this. This assertion is about sentence structure, not spelling or the spoken word.
That point was not made clear in the topic. From what I gathered, it was that there is no difference at all.
Quote:
The challenge to translate a German sentence is unnecessary as it does not relate to the topic of differences between written English dialects.
You need to take this up with the person who initially made the challenge. I simply provided an avenue for it.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Four pages of British, American and Australian comments and no one mentioned the Oxford comma!

Or is it British, American, and Australian.....

Old 03-07-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The written forms have some differences, but they aren't major. If you're talking accents, well there are many British and American accents...especially the British ones sound very different from each other.
There are lots of expressions and terms that differ. Most Americans wouldn't know what you're talking about when you mention a "lorry". If you offer an American "chips" he will expect you to open a bag as we don't use the term "crisps" and chips are called fries. We spell; Behavior, color and civilization, not behaviour, colour and civilisation. We are among our friends while socializing, not amonst our friends whilst socializing. We eat donuts, not doughnuts. It's a madhouse, not a bedlam. It's a wildfire or brushfire, not a bushfire. There are differences. Anyone who fails to understand that needs to have their head examined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World