Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:23 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times

Advertisements

It seems to have every climate and landform you can think of- from the deserts of the southwest, the plains, forests, mountains, tundras in Alaska, tropical rain forests in Hawaii, etc. Even when you take out Alaska and Hawaii, it's still incredibly diverse. Southern Florida is tropical, then we have the snowy mountain tundras elsewhere.

I feel like the other countries that may give it a run for its money is Canada, China, and Australia. But Canada doesn't have anything tropical and I don't know a whole lot about the others.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 02:46 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
If you include Alaska (tundra) and Hawaii (tropical rainforests) then yes, I believe it wins.

If you're only talking the lower 48 states, then it's on par with India and China.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:40 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
The climate of Peru is very diverse, with a large variety of climates and microclimates, including 28 of the 32 world climates.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
It seems to have every climate and landform you can think of- from the deserts of the southwest, the plains, forests, mountains, tundras in Alaska, tropical rain forests in Hawaii, etc. Even when you take out Alaska and Hawaii, it's still incredibly diverse. Southern Florida is tropical, then we have the snowy mountain tundras elsewhere.

I feel like the other countries that may give it a run for its money is Canada, China, and Australia. But Canada doesn't have anything tropical and I don't know a whole lot about the others.

What do you think?
Definitely not Canada, which is uniformly cold across the entire country, and lacks a plethora of habitable climates commonly found in other large countries. But certainly China. Here is a list of the world's "mega diverse" countries based on biodiversity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megadiverse_countries

and here is a map of climate zones: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...version%29.png

In terms of being the most diverse, It's a run-off between America and China. Like America, China is centered around different climactic zones. It has a frigid north, and a tropical south. China also has large swaths of desert, plains, and mountains. India, Madagascar, and South Africa are also very diverse.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,646 times
Hi everybody. I come to fullfill the stereotype and write my chauvinistic post suggesting Argentina among the contenders. Throughout 33º of latitude from tropics (22ºS) to Subantarctic (55ºS), plus a mountain range that runs latitudinally and gets to 6,960, it is something to take into account.

Anyway, I have no idea on how quantify geographic diversity, but I guess USA is likely to be on top (at least in terms of climate diversity it definitely is).

Old 03-21-2014, 07:26 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
The whole of Europe would as as diverse, if not more, than China or the US. You find it all here.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:30 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
The US should be at or near the top in this category.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:33 AM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
If you include Alaska (tundra) and Hawaii (tropical rainforests) then yes, I believe it wins.

If you're only talking the lower 48 states, then it's on par with India and China.
I agree for the most part, except the inclusion of India in the same tier. But i think this is about absolute diversity. Relative diversity is another history.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 AM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Hi everybody. I come to fullfill the stereotype and write my chauvinistic post suggesting Argentina among the contenders. Throughout 33º of latitude from tropics (22ºS) to Subantarctic (55ºS), plus a mountain range that runs latitudinally and gets to 6,960, it is something to take into account.

Anyway, I have no idea on how quantify geographic diversity, but I guess USA is likely to be on top (at least in terms of climate diversity it definitely is).
Argentina is definitely in the top 10, and very underrated country in this subject, but not in the same tier as USA-China IMO. Always speaking of absolute diversity, of course. Relative diversity is a different history: in fact, i think Argentina has a bit more diversity due to his size than the USA.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The whole of Europe would as as diverse, if not more, than China or the US. You find it all here.
how about naming some other entire continents too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World