Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 AM

485 posts, read 2,246,581 times

Advertisements

The countries that were on my list are

Japan
Taiwan
Spain
Morocco
Mexico

I think I will get Japan out of the list since it's so freakin expensive and also requires I have a 3.0 GPA. I don't have that because I had a different major before and didn't like it and was very difficult

Taiwan is either I get the stipend or I don't

Spain seems really cool, morocco seems like a beat and new experience for me but kind of excited but afraid... Since I am thinking maybe Morrocco is a bunch of violence and poverty I'm thinking. I know Mexico is a good place but would make very little sense to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:14 AM

What I would like is a nice experience, maybe somewhere warm. Make some new friends and meet new people. Somewhere possibly cool or neat.

Contrary to popular belief, the Spanish, Italians, Portuguese are actually pretty reserved and not that open or warm to strangers. Although Valencia seems beautiful though. I don't know how Morocco would be, but I would like there because I would like to learn Arabic, and I think it would give me a new experience. Even though it sounds really funny, I am excited about studying abroad in Guadalajara, Mexico. Mexicans are really friendly and welcoming, and Guadalajara is a pretty nice city overall...it has its flaws but nice city overall. Mexicans are so friendly and it's easy and quick making new friends. I would be surprised if there were people friendlier and more welcoming than the Mexicans. Even though I live here in the USA, I go there and back like every 2 years, also I was born there. Mexico has it's safe and dangerous places depending on where you go, but I hear Jalisco and it's Surrounding states Sinaloa and Michoacan are the most dangerous in the country right now. I don't know, I guess if I have someone to go with that knows the place well, that'd be easier.

Last edited by joseanto071; 02-12-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 02-12-2014, 11:29 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,322 times
Out of these choices(which seem kinda arbitrary to me at least) I would pick Spain.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Out of these choices(which seem kinda arbitrary to me at least) I would pick Spain.
I have no idea what arbitrary means

Old 02-12-2014, 11:42 AM

Ok, How about between Spain, Morocco or Mexico? One of my professors strongly recommended me Uruguay, but Uruaguay doesn't sound interesting to me honestly. The most interesting thing to me about Uruguay is that it would be very easy to get into Brazil and Argentina. Also maybe Chile...but I don't know.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:52 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
The countries that were on my list are

Japan
Taiwan
Spain
Morocco
Mexico

I think I will get Japan out of the list since it's so freakin expensive and also requires I have a 3.0 GPA. I don't have that because I had a different major before and didn't like it and was very difficult

Taiwan is either I get the stipend or I don't

Spain seems really cool, morocco seems like a beat and new experience for me but kind of excited but afraid... Since I am thinking maybe Morrocco is a bunch of violence and poverty I'm thinking. I know Mexico is a good place but would make very little sense to me

I'd choose Taiwan so I could learn Chinese and then make a trip to Japan.

If you're Mexican and have been to Mexico, why are you asking us about it?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'd choose Taiwan so I could learn Chinese and then make a trip to Japan.

If you're Mexican and have been to Mexico, why are you asking us about it?
Hehe I just posted a new comment explaining why...lol

Old 02-12-2014, 11:59 AM

Also, I already know Japanese and Mandarin Chinese. I'm an intermediate at both. I at least the basics of both languages and I know enough of the basic and necessary things to get around...(eg. ask for directions, order food, ask where x is, etc). Pretty much I'm interested in Taiwan to learn Mandarin Chinese...even though most people speak Taiwanese there lol...That's like going to India or the Phillipines to learn English haha Who does that!?

Old 02-12-2014, 12:35 PM

64 posts, read 74,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Also, I already know Japanese and Mandarin Chinese. I'm an intermediate at both. I at least the basics of both languages and I know enough of the basic and necessary things to get around...(eg. ask for directions, order food, ask where x is, etc). Pretty much I'm interested in Taiwan to learn Mandarin Chinese...even though most people speak Taiwanese there lol...That's like going to India or the Phillipines to learn English haha Who does that!?
Everyone (except really old native people) in Taiwan speak perfect Mandarin, Taiwanese language (actually just Min Nan dialet with Taiwan accent) is also popular as a mother tongue too, but native bi-language speaker is not rare in the world.

So it's more like learning Dutch in Flanders, or English in Ireland.

Also Japanese language has a certain level of popularity in Taiwan, many older people learnt it as child during the colonial period while teens has a preference of learning it in college. You should not expect everyone to speak it fluently, but you can definitely find someone without much difficulties possessing proficiency in Japanese should you study there.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowu5 View Post
Everyone (except really old native people) in Taiwan speak perfect Mandarin, Taiwanese language (actually just Min Nan dialet with Taiwan accent) is also popular as a mother tongue too, but native bi-language speaker is not rare in the world.

So it's more like learning Dutch in Flanders, or English in Ireland.

Also Japanese language has a certain level of popularity in Taiwan, many older people learnt it as child during the colonial period while teens has a preference of learning it in college. You should not expect everyone to speak it fluently, but you can definitely find someone without much difficulties possessing proficiency in Japanese should you study there.
I have heard of that. I hear that the Taiwanese elderly (Ethnic Han Chinese) can speak Japanese quite well. Same with the Korean old people in Korea. I am actually more interested in Taiwan than Japan, for reasons that it could be cheaper and also that I want to improve my Mandarin Chinese. Aside from Japan and Taiwan, which of the other 3 places I mentioned sound interesting to you? Mexico, Spain or Morocco?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World